Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Newbie question Mini Lite 2306 water pump

We just took our 2017 2306 Mini Lite out for its maiden voyage and everything went just about as well as it could. I'm new to this whole RV'ing thing so had some questions come up. Can anyone shed some light on how the plumbing system functions. After a bit of fooling around and playing around with some valves I figured out how to receive hot and cold water throughout the trailer at a nice consistent pressure when connected to a spigot water supply. And yes i used a PRV with gauge at the supply.
Here's were my novice confusion starts: After returning home I set about cleaning the interior so connected the trailer to a garden hose to go about some basic chores. I am guessing that when the trailer is connected to a domestic water supply, then through a PRV, the onboard tank fills up and the water pressure forces the water out of the facets/shower head etc. ??
So what happens when the trailer is not connected to a pressurized water supply and you are running off the water tank. On my trailer when you activate the pump I get a trickle of water at the faucets /shower head. This seams confusing why either Rockwood wouldn't install a larger pump for comfort/convenience to replicate the pressurized supply, or i have some valves shut somewhere creating this trickle. Is this trickle normal?

StateParked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

Your plumbing system should look like one of the options on the attached sketch below.

When hooked up to city water, the city water provides all the water flow to your faucets. Your fresh water tank should NOT fill unless the check valve in your water pump is leaking backwards. When not on city water, turn on your water pump and the water pump will pump water from your fresh water tank to all your faucets. You may only be getting a trickle because you have an empty fresh water tank. You should have a gravity freshwater fill on the side of your TT. Should look like this:

Remove the cap and use your hose to fill the tank. Note there's a small round wire mesh on the side at about the 10:30 position; this is the vent line. Don't fill faster than the vent can relieve the pressure or you'll "blow up" your fresh water tank.

If your fresh water tank has enough water in it, another possibility of trickle: you've introduced some plastic shavings from your fresh water tank into the system and it's caught in the faucet strainers. Unscrew them and check for "stuff."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (194.9 KB, 76 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
Site Team

When hooked to city water, it doesn't fill the tank, it works like water at home. You don't use the water pump with the city water hooked up.

There's a separate inlet to fill the FW tank, which is when you need the water pump to work.
It sounds like you haven't filled the FW tank, which is why you're not getting water with the water pump.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Your plumbing system should look like one of the options on the attached sketch below.

When hooked up to city water, the city water provides all the water flow to your faucets. Your fresh water tank should NOT fill unless the check valve in your water pump is leaking backwards. When not on city water, turn on your water pump and the water pump will pump water from your fresh water tank to all your faucets. You may only be getting a trickle because you have an empty fresh water tank. You should have a gravity freshwater fill on the side of your TT. Should look like this:

Remove the cap and use your hose to fill the tank. Note there's a small round wire mesh on the side at about the 10:30 position; this is the vent line. Don't fill faster than the vent can relieve the pressure or you'll "blow up" your fresh water tank.

If your fresh water tank has enough water in it, another possibility of trickle: you've introduced some plastic shavings from your fresh water tank into the system and it's caught in the faucet strainers. Unscrew them and check for "stuff."

Thanks for the diagram, that's exactly what I need. Much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
When hooked to city water, it doesn't fill the tank, it works like water at home. You don't use the water pump with the city water hooked up.

There's a separate inlet to fill the FW tank, which is when you need the water pump to work.
It sounds like you haven't filled the FW tank, which is why you're not getting water with the water pump.

Your only correct! Thanks for your description...I,m not ashamed to admit this is a learning curve. It really helps to understand how these systems work not just action to take in order to get a result.

Tags
2306, lite, newbie, pump, water, water pump