Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Observation Cameras/Furrion/Other Options?

Hello - Like most, my new FR came pre-wired for the Furrion system. I bought and installed the FOS48TAPK. I did some demo over the weekend and really am not that impressed with the quality of the unit nor the quality of the picture. When traveling at only 45mph, the picture displays random white blotches / gets washed out and seemed delayed. It was not very clear and kind of blurry too. I had no sun glare and all electrical options in the truck were turned off. Both antennas were vertical and then tried moving the monitor antenna in all positions. It made no difference. I've searched and read many reviews, most of which are pretty good. I've also searched for alternative options and some have suggested sites such as Tadi Brothers which have some options as well as Amazon having several that would work. I'm looking for those of you who have chosen an alternative and could share your experience and possibly recommend other models for consideration. It would be great if we could find one with Garmin type quality.
I noticed too several posts on the missing magnet ring, which mine did not come with either and yet the Installation Instructions and Manual clearly state to install it. Have others bought these separately and noticed any difference? I'm handy and could retrofit any other option.
Opinions, recommendations etc. appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

If you search here you can find other options for cameras (apostrophe withheld). I don't recall the brands, because I didn't pay attention to them. However, I know they have been discussed here a few times.

With that said, I just installed a Furrion observation camera and don't have any of the issues you noted. 3-4 bars at all times. Clear and crisp camera. No issues in a few uses. Sounds like something is wrong with yours, based on the symptoms you noted.

Mine did not come with a ferrite (magnet), either. I've never heard of one coming with a ferrite, though one is called out in the instructions.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikenut View Post
Hello - Like most, my new FR came pre-wired for the Furrion system. I bought and installed the FOS48TAPK. I did some demo over the weekend and really am not that impressed with the quality of the unit nor the quality of the picture. When traveling at only 45mph, the picture displays random white blotches / gets washed out and seemed delayed. It was not very clear and kind of blurry too. I had no sun glare and all electrical options in the truck were turned off. Both antennas were vertical and then tried moving the monitor antenna in all positions. It made no difference. I've searched and read many reviews, most of which are pretty good. I've also searched for alternative options and some have suggested sites such as Tadi Brothers which have some options as well as Amazon having several that would work. I'm looking for those of you who have chosen an alternative and could share your experience and possibly recommend other models for consideration. It would be great if we could find one with Garmin type quality.
I noticed too several posts on the missing magnet ring, which mine did not come with either and yet the Installation Instructions and Manual clearly state to install it. Have others bought these separately and noticed any difference? I'm handy and could retrofit any other option.
Opinions, recommendations etc. appreciated. Thanks!
Check the numbering the box. The camera I got had the BL after it. One is for just back up and one is for observation. Just a thought. Mine works great with a 33’ trailer no loss of signal. Good Luck

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Thx for the replies. Yes, it is the more expensive model with BL at the end. For observation. May be defective.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Thx for the replies. Yes, it is the more expensive model with BL at the end. For observation. May be defective.
I agree with others. I just installed mine and used it on a trip and it worked perfectly. Picture was great, never went out, and think it's a great product.

I am guessing you got one defective. And, like the other poster - I have no idea about some magnet
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70 View Post
I agree with others. I just installed mine and used it on a trip and it worked perfectly. Picture was great, never went out, and think it's a great product.

I am guessing you got one defective. And, like the other poster - I have no idea about some magnet
I am Here also! Youroo!!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

On our first trailer we purchased from TadiBrothers. They sold a quality product. But we only went that route because the trailer didnt have the prewired camera mount, so we had to drill a hole and run a wire to the running lights, and fabricate a mount and all that. With the new trailer, it had the prewired mount so we just stuck with the Furrion. Your experience seems unusual. As I said TadiBrothers was good quality and no issues, but I believe our Furrion set up is better. My opinion if I were in your position, see if you can swap out your unit for a new one, the unit may be bad (if possible, swap the entire system-monitor, camera, everything). If its still not working properly, I would question your trailer wiring (as in, if the wiring in the trailer has an issue, doesnt matter what system you install if you are using bad wires).

Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #8

Thanks all. I think maybe I received a defective unit. I plan to test one more time and if still bad, will return for replacement.
Another member sent me a picture of their unit and it says "Observation Monitor" in the upper left corner. Mine does not say that. Strange. Does yours have this statement? Maybe they sent the wrong unit in the box. Thoughts?
Regarding the TadiBrothers, I have been doing some research. They do make a bracket that fits into the Furrion housing and a plug, so it is the same Plug & Play type installation as the Furrion unit. The other appealing aspect is the much larger screen of 7" vs. 4.3" Furrion. I did notice mixed reviews.
Any additional feedback or info appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks all. I think maybe I received a defective unit. I plan to test one more time and if still bad, will return for replacement.
Another member sent me a picture of their unit and it says "Observation Monitor" in the upper left corner. Mine does not say that. Strange. Does yours have this statement? Maybe they sent the wrong unit in the box. Thoughts?
Regarding the TadiBrothers, I have been doing some research. They do make a bracket that fits into the Furrion housing and a plug, so it is the same Plug & Play type installation as the Furrion unit. The other appealing aspect is the much larger screen of 7" vs. 4.3" Furrion. I did notice mixed reviews.
Any additional feedback or info appreciated. Thanks!
I just went out and looked at my monitor. Sure enough it says observation monitor in the upper left corner. Sounds like they gave you the wrong one. Good Luck

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #10

We liked the large screen offered with the tadibrothers unit, but found that it actually became very inconvenient. It got in the way of stuff, and if mounted at the dash level it made it hard to look beyond it while driving. With the Furrion monitor, we developed a way to fasten it to the rear view mirror. Almost all of my driving is without the trailer, so its very normal to look at the rear view, so attaching the monitor there doesnt change your muscle memory, you are going to look up to the mirror anyway, so now you can see behind you when you do it (rather than seeing the front of the trailer).

Didnt realize TB now had the ability to use the existing mount, thats good information for people interested in this topic. Hopefully your issue is as simple as getting the wrong stuff, or maybe a defective item.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

Update. Evaluated screen display yesterday. At first it came on nice and crisp. Then after a minute or two, just sitting still, the image got all washed out. Luckily, bought on Amazon so going back. Will need to look at how to add pics here to illustrate. Apparently can't cut/paste/attach.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

We got ours from Amazon and the furrion observation camera is amazing. Great picture and you can see the lane directly behind and on either side. We are pleased with it. No magnet.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #13

I am having issues with mine. I am going to talk with the guys at Goshen Rally.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

Camera Update - Furrion vs. RVS

After much research and returning the Furrion unit, I decided to go with RVS systems. Specifically the RVS-155W with Furrion adaptor. It has a 5" color monitor, waterproof camera, and is wireless. As compared with the Furrion, it is or appears to be: higher quality, heavier duty, larger & better picture, never loses reception nor ghosts, and greater camera adjustability. I am happy with the unit. No issues. I would recommend this unit to others who have not decided yet, or have also experienced issues with Furrion. This one is less expensive too and has great customer service. I say great customer service as I initially had a problem with limited adjustment range of the camera due to the fixed Furrion bracket and antenna sticking out the back. I called and they said "no problem" and sent me a free upgraded antenna with cable attachment.
And no, I did not receive a free product nor work for the Company! Just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps others.