RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No assumption on my part.
Every R/V we've had, has had gaps at the door and a ceiling fan and you can 'feel' the air coming in under the door with it shut and the fan on.
First it's the gaps on the top of the doors for heat to circulate then it's gaps on the bottom for cool air to circulate . me thinks it's just the way they are built with one size door and openings to tall to seal . so people come up with assumptions of why it is the way it is and air flow seemed to stick .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No assumption on my part.
Every R/V we've had, has had gaps at the door and a ceiling fan and you can 'feel' the air coming in under the door with it shut and the fan on.
Mounted a 4 arm pivoting towel bar over the toilet area and run the fan to dry our bath towels- thanks to the gap at the bottom of the door.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Mounted a 4 arm pivoting towel bar over the toilet area and run the fan to dry our bath towels- thanks to the gap at the bottom of the door.
We do that as well.
About an hour of running the bath fan after a shower and the towels (and shower itself) are nice and dry!
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Like most manufactured homes RV do not have a return air sys. so that is the way the heating & air sys gets the air to return to main sys. !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Like most manufactured homes RV do not have a return air sys. so that is the way the heating & air sys gets the air to return to main sys. !!!

From the bathroom? Whhaaat. Splain.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 782
Every camper we have ever owned has had a gap in the top. We have only owned one camper... but that is our experience.

Marty
__________________
2016 Rockwood 2703WS Sapphire
2016 F250 SD 6.2L
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Semperfi24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 637
I have always been in the camp of air flow, however, I started wondering which direction these doors face. Is it possible that air flow is part of it, but door shifting in transit is the other part of it? Since I dont know the answer, my mind is imagining a scenario where if the door opening is front to back on the trailer, you dont need the gap. Where as, if the door opening is side to side on the trailer, there is more potential for flexing and shifting while driving, and there fore the gap is needed to prevent damage?

Please chime in if your doors confirm or dispute my theory, as its nothing more than a shot in the dark
__________________

_________________________
2019 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
From the bathroom? Whhaaat. Splain.
In order for heating or A/C to properly heat or cool entire RV,
It must be able to draw air from the entire R/V !!!

Your home has return air vents in each room, your RV does not !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
In order for heating or A/C to properly heat or cool entire RV,
It must be able to draw air from the entire R/V !!!

Your home has return air vents in each room, your RV does not !!!
Negatory there Big Ben. My home is only 2200 sq feet but there is only one return for the HVAC under the HVAC unit itself in the hall way. Never owned one that had returns in each room and never seen or been in one that does. Are you sure you're not thinking of a hotel/motel?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 260
My parents house in NJ built in the 1960's had a return duct and exhaust duct in every room. And it was built in the days before central AC units were a thing. So I'm guessing it was more common/typical in the older houses. At least in NJ.

When I had the heating/AC system installed in my house they put 3 large intakes on the 2'nd floor ceiling. I think in modern times its cheaper/easier to just run a single return duct. Maybe there are practical airflow considerations. Of course now I do need to remember to keep a gap at the bottom of all my doors to allow airflow if the rooms are closed. You can do the math but I just left whatever the gap was the doors came with.

Oh, and all the RV's I paid attention to at the Hershey show this year had the large gaps above & below the bathroom doors. I'm in the camp of its for airflow and/or keeping the moisture down.

Jim M.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
My parents house in NJ built in the 1960's had a return duct and exhaust duct in every room. And it was built in the days before central AC units were a thing. So I'm guessing it was more common/typical in the older houses. At least in NJ.

When I had the heating/AC system installed in my house they put 3 large intakes on the 2'nd floor ceiling. I think in modern times its cheaper/easier to just run a single return duct. Maybe there are practical airflow considerations. Of course now I do need to remember to keep a gap at the bottom of all my doors to allow airflow if the rooms are closed. You can do the math but I just left whatever the gap was the doors came with.

Oh, and all the RV's I paid attention to at the Hershey show this year had the large gaps above & below the bathroom doors. I'm in the camp of its for airflow and/or keeping the moisture down.

Jim M.
Was your Parents house a Manufactured Home ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Negatory there Big Ben. My home is only 2200 sq feet but there is only one return for the HVAC under the HVAC unit itself in the hall way. Never owned one that had returns in each room and never seen or been in one that does. Are you sure you're not thinking of a hotel/motel?
Sounds to me that your home is either a Manufactured or Pre-Fab home, not a Stick Built Home ??? I worked as a Service Manager @ a Manufactured Home Dealership the last 2 or 3 years I worked, till I became unable to no longer do Physical labor !!! I also Installed Floorcovering for about 25 years, so I have worked in just about type of home there is, working on an RV is much like working on Manufactured Homes !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,050
HVAC here in Florida has only one return vent per level of floor in all new home construction... Mold and mildew in RV's is common and I would suggest trapping warm moist air in your bathroom is a bad thing .... we also run A/C at 85 all the time when we are parked at the house ... we have 2 seasons here humid and warm and humid and HOT
__________________
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sounds to me that your home is either a Manufactured or Pre-Fab home, not a Stick Built Home ??? I worked as a Service Manager @ a Manufactured Home Dealership the last 2 or 3 years I worked, till I became unable to no longer do Physical labor !!! I also Installed Floorcovering for about 25 years, so I have worked in just about type of home there is, working on an RV is much like working on Manufactured Homes !!!

Nope, sticks and brick, single story, central HVAC.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We have a door that is flush at the top and bottom. When we get out of a steamy shower, there is a lot of condensation on the mirror even with the ceiling vent open + fan running. My wife figured out that if she opens the A/C vent (we added a closeable one) and the A/C is running, there's enough air for it to suck in to keep the mirror free from condensation.

My first rig had a gap and we didn't need to make sure that vent was open.
Have you considered installing one of these in your bathroom door:



https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Gril...3749987&sr=8-5

Usually installed near bottom but fir more air flow some install near top and bottom.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I don't know, but after my kids use the bathroom, I would prefer there be no air returned to the rest of the camper. Just shut the door, open the ceiling vent and turn the fan on.
I'm almost always alone in my camper and sometimes have the same problem. Thank goodness for a Fantastic Fan.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
First it's the gaps on the top of the doors for heat to circulate then it's gaps on the bottom for cool air to circulate . me thinks it's just the way they are built with one size door and openings to tall to seal . so people come up with assumptions of why it is the way it is and air flow seemed to stick .

The gap at the top of my bathroom door is more so it will clear A/C plenum on the ceiling. Maybe less necessary on longer trailers.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Negatory there Big Ben. My home is only 2200 sq feet but there is only one return for the HVAC under the HVAC unit itself in the hall way. Never owned one that had returns in each room and never seen or been in one that does. Are you sure you're not thinking of a hotel/motel?

Frat brother of mine had a similar house. All of the interior doors were trimmed short top and bottom. I asked him about it. He said it was to allow air flow back to the furnace and A/C. Rooms only had incoming ducts, run under the concrete slab floor.
__________________
Al
Save the Earth. Its the only known planet with Beer.
There are times where my greatest accomplishment is keeping my mouth shut...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,489
lots of good ideas as to the why . if you have a ducted ac and furnace and just small normal interior 1/2 gap at the bottom of the door just the duct headfing into that room will create enough pressure to force air under a small 1/2 gap . Now times that by the lenght of the door say a 2.6 door way x 1/2 gives you as much or more space then the 4" or 3" duct . plenty to circulate air . To Assume it was designed that way is giving to much credit to the builders of these units . When that can't even install furnaces or duct work correctly . I still say it's a standard size door they use in most all TT's . if it were designed for air flow then all units would be the same with gaps at top and bottom which they are not . jmho. not to get others riled as the air flow makes sense but we are talking RV manufactures which put very little though into building and assembly . When you see things like water pumps installed over converters and electrical panels it's easy to tell they just slap them together with very little thought on fit and function
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Was your Parents house a Manufactured Home ???
Nope, a normal Sticks and Bricks house.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bathroom, door, roo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.