Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #1

Post Our Observations 8289WS - 2018

Our 2018 Rockwood 8289WS story. We have not seen may reviews of an 8289WS and we see so many negative stories about today's RVís, but thatís not to say there are not currently manufacturing problems in the RV industry but this has not been our case to date with our unit.

Let me start out saying our previous 5th wheel was a Glendale Titanium model 25/30 and we tow with Ram 2500 6.7L diesel. So I will now start my rambling about our unit ;-)

We looked at a lot of units and the 8289WS met all our needs, such as opposing slides in the living area, dining area on the awning side, cross ventilation in bedroom, minimal carpet, large shower with no tub, entry to bathroom from bedroom, on and on. There were other units that met our requirements but the price was right and of all the dealers we visited this dealer gave us a good feeling. We did buy local (2 hours from home), we had travelled over a days ride in the past to purchase a trailer and the local dealers pricing was very competitive.

So let me start with the few thing we discovered we do not like and issues. The dinette slide floor is very spongy. The bed is not centred to allow room for the wardrobe slide to come in making it too close to the wall on the awning side making the bed hard to make. One of the interior lights initially did not work when we first tried it but works now (fixed itís self LOL). I did not like some screw heads showing on the top of the slide so I put some sealant on them, I also did a minor adjustment to the screen door latch. The top inside wardrobe slide seal needs to be replaced. We have lots of black and grey water storage just wish we had more than 43 gallons of fresh water storage.

So far everything has works as it was designed to with exception mentioned above. I also believe our dealer did a detailed PDI and it shows with no real issue to date other than the fore mentioned slide seal. The dealer went over some of the items that they had to be corrected before delivery, like adjust one bedroom cupboard doors, clean Styrofoam from inside the ceiling fan motor, install a piece of interior trim that was missing, adjust the bedroom door stop and I canít remember a few other minor items they mentioned.

So far we have had the unit our four different trips for a total of 15 nights. Overall we believe we made the right choice for us. In our previous 5th wheel we had the folding Day/Night shades and with this unit we got roller Day/Night shades and we love them, you can see through the day shades plus you still get some air flow through them when they are down. We also have the MORryde StepAbove steps that we love with the exception of the dirt and/or water that entered the unit when flipped up for storage, but I had a cordless leaf blower that I now use to blow them clean before putting them in that works very well, I also use the blower to clean the slide tops and our outdoor RV mat as an added bonus.Having said this we had made some minor modifications like adding command strip hooks to hang a coat and a place to hang our keys near the entry door. Installed a second battery as we dry camp a fair bit. But my personal favourite was the installation of a LevelMatePro. The unit came with Maxxair vents over the two power vents and we have added MaxxAir vents over the other two roof vents.

I will update if anything changes.

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
Fundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy View Post
Our 2018 Rockwood 8289WS story. We have not seen may reviews of an 8289WS and we see so many negative stories about today's RVís, but thatís not to say there are not currently manufacturing problems in the RV industry but this has not been our case to date with our unit.

Let me start out saying our previous 5th wheel was a Glendale Titanium model 25/30 and we tow with Ram 2500 6.7L diesel. So I will now start my rambling about our unit ;-)

We looked at a lot of units and the 8289WS met all our needs, such as opposing slides in the living area, dining area on the awning side, cross ventilation in bedroom, minimal carpet, large shower with no tub, entry to bathroom from bedroom, on and on. There were other units that met our requirements but the price was right and of all the dealers we visited this dealer gave us a good feeling. We did buy local (2 hours from home), we had travelled over a days ride in the past to purchase a trailer and the local dealers pricing was very competitive.

So let me start with the few thing we discovered we do not like and issues. The dinette slide floor is very spongy. The bed is not centred to allow room for the wardrobe slide to come in making it too close to the wall on the awning side making the bed hard to make. One of the interior lights initially did not work when we first tried it but works now (fixed itís self LOL). I did not like some screw heads showing on the top of the slide so I put some sealant on them, I also did a minor adjustment to the screen door latch. The top inside wardrobe slide seal needs to be replaced. We have lots of black and grey water storage just wish we had more than 43 gallons of fresh water storage.

So far everything has works as it was designed to with exception mentioned above. I also believe our dealer did a detailed PDI and it shows with no real issue to date other than the fore mentioned slide seal. The dealer went over some of the items that they had to be corrected before delivery, like adjust one bedroom cupboard doors, clean Styrofoam from inside the ceiling fan motor, install a piece of interior trim that was missing, adjust the bedroom door stop and I canít remember a few other minor items they mentioned.

So far we have had the unit our four different trips for a total of 15 nights. Overall we believe we made the right choice for us. In our previous 5th wheel we had the folding Day/Night shades and with this unit we got roller Day/Night shades and we love them, you can see through the day shades plus you still get some air flow through them when they are down. We also have the MORryde StepAbove steps that we love with the exception of the dirt and/or water that entered the unit when flipped up for storage, but I had a cordless leaf blower that I now use to blow them clean before putting them in that works very well, I also use the blower to clean the slide tops and our outdoor RV mat as an added bonus.Having said this we had made some minor modifications like adding command strip hooks to hang a coat and a place to hang our keys near the entry door. Installed a second battery as we dry camp a fair bit. But my personal favourite was the installation of a LevelMatePro. The unit came with Maxxair vents over the two power vents and we have added MaxxAir vents over the other two roof vents.

I will update if anything changes.
I had the same unit, but 2012, just sold it a couple of months ago, we were very happy with it. Yes every unit has some problems, mine were all minor like yours. As far as water, you can always buy a bladder to fill and carry it in the bed of your truck, if you have not yet get rid of those C tires and move up to a D or E. If they are trail express do it now, they are garbage. What we didn't like was the split awnings, real problem when it rains, I had to tie a umbrella over the door or you get soaked going in and out. It's a great floor plan and a good trailer for the money. Happy travels.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I had the same unit, but 2012, just sold it a couple of months ago, we were very happy with it. Yes every unit has some problems, mine were all minor like yours. As far as water, you can always buy a bladder to fill and carry it in the bed of your truck, if you have not yet get rid of those C tires and move up to a D or E. If they are trail express do it now, they are garbage. What we didn't like was the split awnings, real problem when it rains, I had to tie a umbrella over the door or you get soaked going in and out. It's a great floor plan and a good trailer for the money. Happy travels.
Ours came with load range E tires installed
And yes the rating on the tires are E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	180604  

Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #4

Thats a shock, Maybe Forest River has learned something about tires...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

We made the exact same move a year ago. Traded our Titanium 25E30 for a 8289WS. Our 8289 hasn't been trouble-free - had to return to factory for a wardrobe slide leak and on this trip the couch pulled loose from its feeble floor brackets (reinforce those!) - but we're generally happy with it. Hope you continue to enjoy your new rig. The Titanium was an interesting design wasn't it?
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We made the exact same move a year ago. Traded our Titanium 25E30 for a 8289WS. Our 8289 hasn't been trouble-free - had to return to factory for a wardrobe slide leak and on this trip the couch pulled loose from its feeble floor brackets (reinforce those!) - but we're generally happy with it. Hope you continue to enjoy your new rig. The Titanium was an interesting design wasn't it?
Wish we could have purchased a new Titanium 25E30 as it was the best trailer we ever owned.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy View Post
Wish we could have purchased a new Titanium 25E30 as it was the best trailer we ever owned.
It was a nice rig, but ours developed a water leak that I couldn't track down until it had done a lot of damage. It was on the little wall between the dining room slide and the entertainment center. Was covered by the slide moulding and I didn't notice it for quite a while. Also would've bought another Titanium if they hadn't gone out of business.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We had a 2013 8289 WS. We sold bought a SOB.

Things to watch for. Lower fridge cover, fill the cavity with sealant and make it water proof. We had delamination even though I sealed it up, extended warranty did not cover this. I traded it before it was really visable.

The entertainment slide accordion for power and propane, make sure you check the cables, mine were tight and might have had a propane leak.

The slide under the fridge and stove. There was a water leak from the wheel well inside. I found it with mildew and mold, sealed it up and treated the mildew.

The pin box will flex cause some delam just under the wardrobe slide, just watch this point.

I also put a lift kit on the axles to get enough box clearance too.

A better built Fifth Wheel for the money than other brands in its class. Enjoy your Rockwood. There have been a lot of improvements since we bought. Nice to see them listening to owners.

The Titanium was a great Canadian Built Fifth wheel. My BIL has one, several members of our HOA RV club have them as well. My dealer in Ontario only solde Titanium's and switched to Heartland when Glendale went down. We have Heartland that has a Titanium Model for 2 years with the funny front.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 PM   #9

What does SOB stand for?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Some Other Brand. We purchased a Heartland Bighorn. Unable to deal with FR Dealers, they were too greedy, and the step we made was for a higher end Fifth Wheel than could be provided in our budget.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We had a 2013 8289 WS. We sold bought a SOB.

Things to watch for. Lower fridge cover, fill the cavity with sealant and make it water proof. We had delamination even though I sealed it up, extended warranty did not cover this. I traded it before it was really visable.

The entertainment slide accordion for power and propane, make sure you check the cables, mine were tight and might have had a propane leak.

The slide under the fridge and stove. There was a water leak from the wheel well inside. I found it with mildew and mold, sealed it up and treated the mildew.

The pin box will flex cause some delam just under the wardrobe slide, just watch this point.

I also put a lift kit on the axles to get enough box clearance too.

A better built Fifth Wheel for the money than other brands in its class. Enjoy your Rockwood. There have been a lot of improvements since we bought. Nice to see them listening to owners.

The Titanium was a great Canadian Built Fifth wheel. My BIL has one, several members of our HOA RV club have them as well. My dealer in Ontario only solde Titanium's and switched to Heartland when Glendale went down. We have Heartland that has a Titanium Model for 2 years with the funny front.
Thanks!

"The slide under the fridge and stove. There was a water leak from the wheel well inside. I found it with mildew and mold, sealed it up and treated the mildew." Already got this one done and sealed under the entertainment slide as well

Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #12

Fundy, I bought the same trailer (Rockwood 8289WS) in late May, had it out twice for 2 short trips, now in the shop for some warranty work. Question: how do you tie down the 2 recliners? We thought we had done it right, but on one of our trips one of the chairs bounced out of position from against the back wall towards inside of trailer and when we moved the TV slideout out, the slideout caught the chair and partially torn off the inside slideout fascia. There are floor anchors under back window but I am not sure how to run the tie-down cord. So, how do you tie down your recliners? Thanks for any help
troutfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutfly View Post
Fundy, I bought the same trailer (Rockwood 8289WS) in late May, had it out twice for 2 short trips, now in the shop for some warranty work. Question: how do you tie down the 2 recliners? We thought we had done it right, but on one of our trips one of the chairs bounced out of position from against the back wall towards inside of trailer and when we moved the TV slideout out, the slideout caught the chair and partially torn off the inside slideout fascia. There are floor anchors under back window but I am not sure how to run the tie-down cord. So, how do you tie down your recliners? Thanks for any help
We use the floor anchors with the supplied strap, we make sure the straps are tight and we also put a blanket between the chairs and the back wall.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Thanks for the good idea with the blanket between the chairs and the wall. I will insure the chairs are up against the wall and the strap is tight. Thanks again for your ideas.
troutfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #15

We also put a section of a "noodle" on each recliner handle. Just in case...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #16

We have the same model but 2017. Ours has the pantry left of the fridge and have found that the door will open when travelling. We just use one of the rugs to put between the island and the door once the slide is in. Not sure if you have the pantry or not but thought I would share. Really like ours but we are kind of missing the extra room we had in the bedroom with our previous 5th wheel. Knock on wood but we have not dealt with some of the issues that other folks have shared. Just a few minor things that I could fix my self. We have had a very warm/hot spring and summer this year and the air has a very hard time keeping up. May add the second air unit in the bedroom before next season. Enjoy your 8289, we sure are.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #17

Smile

Well just put our trailer away for the winter and thought I would give an update on our camper.

We had the following issues which were all fixed by dealer on one visit with the exception of #6;
1.Screen door misalignment Ė dealer adjusted
2. Top seal on bedroom wardrobe came off Ė dealer replaced
3. TV Antenna will not rotate Ė dealer replaced antenna (believe it was broke while on display)
4. Outside door (under TV) adjusted by dealer
5. Missing a screw on slideout Ė dealer replaced
6. iRV Control will not connect to control panel (Bluetooth) Ė shipped me a new control panel, I installed myself.

I also had to touch some of the self leveling caulk on the roof, but that was general maintenance item.

We are very happy with our unit after one season of camping and could have easily fixed the above issues myself had we not been camping near the dealership.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #18

8289 put away

Enjoy reading post about the 8289WS, like someone stated before you just don't see too many post about our model. My initial thought was that maybe we were one of just a few owners of this model. I would like to believe that we are just one of many owners and there are just not many issues to share. After spending many years in an elected law enforcement position, I came to realize that many times no news is really a good thing.
We were able to use our new 2017 that we picked up in September 2017 for a total of about five weeks before I winterized a couple of week ago. No major issues for us. We are having problems with the wardrobe slide seals on the inside. They seem to get pinched then come off the track. The front side was totally off but we were able to thread it back on the track. While winterizing I noticed that the rear seal is now only partially on the track. We had a very hot summer here in Iowa this summer and found that the single 15,000 ac struggled to keep things cool. May add the 2nd unit before next season. I have read many post regarding tires and must say I'm probably more confused then anything. Our 8289 came with load range D tires and the best I can tell they are doing just fine (Castle Rock). Our rig is kept in our shed whenever we are not using it so I have the opportunity to inspect, just stand and look or make repairs/changes quite often. Love the revolution hitch which allows me to park the rig close to the sidewall of the shed for the winter out of the way and still be able to unhook/hook with no issues. Can't say enough about the auto leveling. First time we have ever had it and have to say I am sold.
Overall we love the unit and just hope it keeps working for us for years to come. Hoping that other 8289 owners will post on here so we can all read and learn.

badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote