Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Outdoor speaker problems

I have a Rockwood 8289 WS with outdoor speakers and when I turn them on they are very low volume as compared to the indoor volume. I would say probably 1/4 the volume. Does anyone else have this problem? I've had a couple other campers with the outdoor speakers and the volume was usually about the same in and out.

2013 Rockwood 8289WS
2017 F350 6.7 PS extra cab long bed
Curt G25 hitch
Days camping 2016 - 26
canterburyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

My outdoor (C) speakers are like yours. I guess they want us to crank them up on purpose as opposed to accidentally blasting our next door nieghbors.
Jmjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

I had the same problem, I replaced them with 6" bought from Crutchfield. I talked to Bob Fields. He said to buy them from them and not concertone direct, because of free shipping. Same speakers, Had to cut the hole bigger because of the magnet with a jig saw, but had to cut the blade in half so I wouldn't go thur the inside wall. The wall is only 2" thick so you need the concertone replacement. Looks just like the 4" but now all my speakers are at the same level of sound A,B, and C. The cost is $29.95 per speaker with free shipping.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the info

2013 Rockwood 8289WS
2017 F350 6.7 PS extra cab long bed
Curt G25 hitch
Days camping 2016 - 26
canterburyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

I posted that issue a few months ago and got no helpful replies. Thanks a lot for the solution. I really enjoy listening to the audio system both inside and outside. Cannot do that currenly, with the large difference in volume between the A and C speakers.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I posted that issue a few months ago and got no helpful replies. Thanks a lot for the solution. I really enjoy listening to the audio system both inside and outside. Cannot do that currenly, with the large difference in volume between the A and C speakers.
I know it use to drive me nuts. I did put a piece of that silver insulation behind it. When I first hooked them up I tried the outside first and you could hear it in the unit. Now with that I can listen to music outside and my wife can watch TV without hearing it. If I have all the speakers on I do not have to blast the inside to hear the outside. Pretty equal but I have like 8 total speakers inside so it is just a little louder but not by much at all, I can live with that.....

Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Ours are the same way, we shut off A, turn on B and C. That way we can also have music inside, just shut bedroom door so it is not so loud inside.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canterburyshoe View Post
I have a Rockwood 8289 WS with outdoor speakers and when I turn them on they are very low volume as compared to the indoor volume. I would say probably 1/4 the volume. Does anyone else have this problem? I've had a couple other campers with the outdoor speakers and the volume was usually about the same in and out.

I have a 2014 23RS and same problem.... I have it on my list of fixes for the dealer. They have already said they have no clue. Our 2012 19 ROO worked great same volume in and out.
One thing that puzzles me...why did my previous model not have the issues with volume...you should not be replacing speakers to fix issue.. if previous year worked fine make newer models work.
2014 Rain Days = 3 Snow Days = 0
patkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkins View Post
I have a 2014 23RS and same problem.... I have it on my list of fixes for the dealer. They have already said they have no clue. Our 2012 19 ROO worked great same volume in and out.
One thing that puzzles me...why did my previous model not have the issues with volume...you should not be replacing speakers to fix issue.. if previous year worked fine make newer models work.
The problem is that FR went to 4" speakers on all units now. They say they can't get the 6" anymore which is BS. You can buy them from either concertone or Crutchfield, Crutchfield has free shipping. FR will not put 6" speakers in under warranty period. They cost 29.95 each. It will fix your problem......

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

But don't the holes have to be cut larger to accommodate the larger size? I don't know if I'm up for that.
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmjtx View Post
My outdoor (C) speakers are like yours. I guess they want us to crank them up on purpose as opposed to accidentally blasting our next door nieghbors.
I have also wondered if that was the reason. All of my campers have been that way. I actually LIKE being sure that I won't be disturbing the neighbors when I switch to the outside speakers.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I have also wondered if that was the reason. All of my campers have been that way. I actually LIKE being sure that I won't be disturbing the neighbors when I switch to the outside speakers.
Well that's up to you I would hope you didn't. I have never had a complaint from a camper yet. I never blast them but I now can walk inside and not be blasted out either. It's a personnel choice. It has nothing to do with that, They install 6" in the Ceder Creeks and other units.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFire 152 View Post
But don't the holes have to be cut larger to accommodate the larger size? I don't know if I'm up for that.
Read post #3 on this thread. Bob Fields and FR told me there is no problem at all you are only enlarging the whole by like a 1 1/2" to except the larger magnet. It is no big deal and will not void your warranty.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Are saying the interior speakers are larger (6 inch round) than the exterior speakers (4 inch round)?

My unit uses Jenson speakers which are small cubes inside and ovoid shaped outside.

My first thought was that the exterior speakers had one speaker with positive and negative reversed which would account for the difference in volume.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Are saying the interior speakers are larger (6 inch round) than the exterior speakers (4 inch round)?

My unit uses Jenson speakers which are small cubes inside and ovoid shaped outside.

My first thought was that the exterior speakers had one speaker with positive and negative reversed which would account for the difference in volume.
The Concertone system uses 6" (5) in the lounge area and (2) in the bedroom all the same size speakers inside. with 4" on the outside. Positive and negative has nothing to do with it. I even tried that and also asked Bob Fields about it, they do not have the power to produce any quality sound, they are rated at 25 watt, the 6" I think are 75 watt you need to check the Cruchfield site. It has nothing to do with blasting the outside it has to do with balance through out the system. I enjoy clear sounding music. NOT LOUD MUSIC. If you read my post #3 you will read that now my wife can watch TV and I can hear quality sound outside. We could not do that before. First I thought they had a volume reducer installed but Bob Fields is the one who told me what the problem was and how to solve it. I don't know where this blasting came from. The question was why do you have to turn the volume up so high to hear the music outside. The reason is that FR choose to go cheap and put 25 watt speakers outside. When I asked FR they said that the 6" where no longer available for outside. Both Concertone and Cruthfield sells them on there web site also looks just like the 4" but are 6" you just can't add any speaker being the wall is only 2" thick.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Read post #3 on this thread. Bob Fields and FR told me there is no problem at all you are only enlarging the whole by like a 1 1/2" to except the larger magnet. It is no big deal and will not void your warranty.
Thank you! I'll check out Crutchfield!
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #17

One last thing, when I was in Goshen the factory rep from FR said they did not make the 6" speakers anymore. So I took his word and went to the vendor booth and bought 2 6" from Jensen. The next morning the crew from FR and their manager came to my trailer to install them. When they seen the Jensen they said that they where deeper then 2"'s and would stick out on the inside. Of course I took them back. That's how I found out that I had to use the Concertone or I would need to install a spacer to hold them out. I was Leary about cutting into my side wall. I called my dealer they said that they could cut it out, but said all you need is a jig saw the same that they would use. When I took the 4" out I found that the outside skin is only like a 1/8" thick. It cut very easy. The new speakers even come with a gasket to seal any water from getting into them. A word of caution you do need to put some insulation behind them or you will hear them inside. I used that silver stuff for ducts that you get at Lowes or Home depot. Now we can not hear them inside at normal volume. Also I ran a bead of sealant around them for extra water proofing.

Tags
door