Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Peeling on all seats

We bought a new rockwood 5th wheel in 2017..now the fake leather on the theatre seats is cracking and peeling....what to do????
Mom3tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Team

That's an extremely common issue. It's a shame that it's happening. It's pretty universal as well, low end to high end units have the issue.

Unfortunately replacing them is about the only recourse you have. You can have them recovered, but that usually costs more than just replacing them outright.

There are some units on Wayfair and other places that will fit the location and come apart so they fit through the door.

We bought a reclining love seat on Amazon to replace our flaking jackknife sofa that fits our space perfectly. The backs come off and then the pieces fit through the door.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #3

Thank you
Mom3tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Keep in mind that if you replace them with residential furniture you need to be aware of where the release handle is so that you allow enough room to operate them if they're on the outside of the arms.

There are several places that sell RV specific furniture, Recpro and several others, where the release handles are on the inside of the arms.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

I was lucky, My Wildwood was under warranty and they are replacing it. of course its on back order waiting for the parts. as long as it is fixed right.
2021 Nissan Titan
2017 Wife........
You dont stop playing cause you grow old, You grow old cause you stop playing
Uncled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

we had the sofa and love seat replaced back in 2019 and they took 9 months to get in, I was told it was due to a change of suppliers but I didn't buy it, but I just went with it as they where under warranty
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Had the same thing happen on 2014 Georgetown. Replaced all furniture from Shop4Seats. Multiple styles and upholstery and easy install.
rparker3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #8

Peeling Loveseats

This is all too common in RV's as well in home furniture. We replaced with fabric covered loveseat and sofa. Beware of Thomas Payne brand, that was the faux leather type we replaced, We also replaced our home loveseat, but Ashley Furniture reimbursed for it
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Scotsman

Never Again

We bought some replacement chairs that were fake leather for our 5th wheel and will never make that mistake again. This material is a joke and will never last long even if you don't use it much. Be prepared to replace your furniture even on a new unit within 3 years. We found 2 chairs (cloth covered) at Wayfair. They should last more than 3 years. The industry needs to wake up and provide better furniture but I guess that's what keeps the price down. Good luck finding new replacement's, there's lots to choose from. Take care.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Peeling on Camper Furniture

We have a 2015 FR Cherokee, the recliners have several spots that have started to peel. We have used a vinyl/leather patch kits to stop ours from peeling more. If it is all over as the furniture the patch kits may not be what would work. Good luck on finding a cure.
Frierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Dahagen

I can not believe this is still happening. My 2013 Mirada and my neighbor's 2014 had this problem a few years ago. Forest River sent us new seat covers for dinette, captains chairs, and jack knife couch. My neighbor paid $600 for a pro to do them, I did my recovering myself. So, have you contacted Forest River?
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #12

Wow I read that thread title a little too quick. Thought something entirely different was going on with the seats
Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #13

Bad lots

Those bad lots of "pleather" must have started after 2008. The coverings on the furniture in our 2008 Cherokee 38P have not peeled at all.

Maybe older is better.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeBird22 View Post
Wow I read that thread title a little too quick. Thought something entirely different was going on with the seats
I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this problem.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3tlc View Post
We bought a new rockwood 5th wheel in 2017..now the fake leather on the theatre seats is cracking and peeling....what to do????

We have a 2012 Georgetown which had a bed / couch . In addition to feeling like you were sitting on a brick the covering started to peel after a couple of years. We ended up pulling it out and replacing it with a residential loveseat / couch with the same width.We now have a blowup bed for the odd guest but a couch that's comfortable to sit on and isn't an eyesore.
The captains chairs have also started to peel so we will be dealing with that shortly. Our thinking is possibly a set of good quality seat covers ( not the el chepos from Camping World ) or replacing / recovering them . The decision ,like everything else ,will be based on what the budget allows .
It stinks when you spend a significant amount of $ for a RV and the manufacturer cheaps out what they provide in terms of product quality .( I don't think its just FR either judging from conversations with other RV owners)
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncled View Post
I was lucky, My Wildwood was under warranty and they are replacing it. of course its on back order waiting for the parts. as long as it is fixed right.

And the drag of that is they will replace with the same CRAP. ;^(
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

2016 Vengeance and the sofa has the same peeling. Not under warranty so I will be looking for a replacement. Hard to find since it's a 4 seat that's really long.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #18

Crappy fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3tlc View Post
We replaced our sofa in our 2014 Lexington because (1) the fake leather looked awful and (2) we wanted recliners. Installed 2 new RecPro recliners and 2 years later they started cracking. Our windows are tinted. We just had covers made to address the look. In fact, we've recovered every cushion in that RV. I'm afraid this is pretty typical of the quality found in the RV industry. Good luck.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #19

We have a 2014 travel trailer (from a competitor) that has cloth-covered theater seats and jackknife sofa. They’re still in very good shape- didn’t make any changes - that’s just the way it came.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #20

Same Issue

We're in a 2011 Forest River Georgetown; didn't notice the flaking when we bought in last December.

We plan to re-do some of the flooring to get rid of carpet and install new sofa and captain's chairs. Haven't bought yet but

https://shop4seats.com/rv-seating.ht...0aAoUiEALw_wcB

Is where I've looked and talked aND LIKE what they have and offer.
49Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote