Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Plastic slides on bottom of slides

On our Rookwood 8301WS the plastic runner on the bottom of the slide crumpled up and wondering if anybody has had this happen and if so how did you fix it. Thanks Ed
edotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edotten View Post
On our Rookwood 8301WS the plastic runner on the bottom of the slide crumpled up and wondering if anybody has had this happen and if so how did you fix it. Thanks Ed
Yes I use to replace them every 6 mos. I got tired of it after 2 years, what I did to end the problem was to buy my last set and took them to a metal shop gave them the strips and said make these out of 18 ga. Stainless steel. I put those on and after 5 years never replaced another set. I should the unit and they were still like new.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes I use to replace them every 6 mos. I got tired of it after 2 years, what I did to end the problem was to buy my last set and took them to a metal shop gave them the strips and said make these out of 18 ga. Stainless steel. I put those on and after 5 years never replaced another set. I should the unit and they were still like new.
Should be sold

Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
I was thinking the same, mainly because I couldn't find the plastic ones, I think the stainless is the best idea. Thank you
Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

You can get them from FR but they are like 80 bucks a set, call the Rockwood Service dept.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
You can get them from FR but they are like 80 bucks a set, call the Rockwood Service dept.
When I purchase a new set of skis (yes, that's what they are called) for both of my sides on my FW last spring, they were $24/pair. Just call Rockwood parts at 574-642-8926.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
When I purchase a new set of skis (yes, that's what they are called) for both of my sides on my FW last spring, they were $24/pair. Just call Rockwood parts at 574-642-8926.
Yes plus there outrages shipping charge, just get rid of them they are pure garbage.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:

There are “skis” which go inside on floor when u bring in slides. Usually about $25 a set and u can get at most Camping World stores or order online any where you can find cheaper

And there are slide out protectors that mount on the underside outside bottom of slide that the rollers will move across as it extends and retracts - ours came direct from FR and require removal of slide box to install unless you are handy enough to DIY
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
There are “skis” which go inside on floor when u bring in slides. Usually about $25 a set and u can get at most Camping World stores or order online any where you can find cheaper

And there are slide out protectors that mount on the underside outside bottom of slide that the rollers will move across as it extends and retracts - ours came direct from FR and require removal of slide box to install unless you are handy enough to DIY
Thank you, skis, I would of never guessed. Thank you
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you, skis, I would of never guessed. Thank you
edotten:

If your slideout skis are broken or cracked, you will want to replace them, as water will intrude under the ski and cause water damage to the wood on the bottom of the slideout. Ask me how I know?

They are not hard to replace and takes about 30mins each, but you will need to jack up the slide on get the old one out and replace it. So whether you go with the FR ones or opt for stainless like Witch Doctor recommends, you definitely want to replace them.

I found my bill of sale from my ski order and it was $12/pair and $20 crate and shipping. So $44 all totaled.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post

The ones you can get from CW are slideout slickers, they protect the carpet or linoleum from damage during operation of the slideout.

And you do not have to remove the slideout to replace the skis, just raise one side of the slideout at a time and replace. There is plenty of space between the slideout roof and the sidewall slide out opening.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 01-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
The ones you can get from CW are slideout slickers, they protect the carpet or linoleum from damage during operation of the slideout.

And you do not have to remove the slideout to replace the skis, just raise one side of the slideout at a time and replace. There is plenty of space between the slideout roof and the sidewall slide out opening.
Thank you, that helps a lot, I can see the water damage part for sure right behind the tires with the water flying up. Thanks again
Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you, that helps a lot, I can see the water damage part for sure right behind the tires with the water flying up. Thanks again
Well sir I got the slide skis and was wondering if you had any tips on getting them on. Did you slide the slide in any or just leave it all the way out?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well sir I got the slide skis and was wondering if you had any tips on getting them on. Did you slide the slide in any or just leave it all the way out?

What I did was working 1 side at a time. Unfortunately I have no pictures or video to show these steps.

1. Extend the slide all but the last 6 inches or so. This will to remove the ski from the inside, as it might be held with staples and 2 sided tape.

2. Using a 4x4 post on a bottle jack, raise the slide up on one side until its
within about a 1/2 inch from the top of the slide opening of the side wall.

3. Using a putty knife and pry bar, remove old ski. You might find the interior
end of the ski stapled to the bottom of the slideout. Just pop it off and
remove the staple.

4. Install new ski. Don't worry about trying to restaple, I didn't have a problem
afterwards, as the ski should be held on with automotive trim tape which is
already attached to the ski.

5. Move to other side of slide and repeat.

Also if you find water damage on the bottom of the slide out under the ski, remove any loose plywood and dry thoroughly with a hairdryer, fill in the void with wood putty and paint black before reinstalling the ski.

Hope this helps!
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
What did was working 1 side at a time. Unfortunately I have no pictures or video to show these steps.

1. Extend the slide all but the last 6 inches or so. This will to remove the ski from the inside, as it might be held with staples and 2 sided tape.

2. Using a 4x4 post on a bottle jack, raise the slide up on one side until its
within about a 1/2 inch from the top of the slide opening of the side wall.

3. Using a putty knife and pry bar, remove old ski. You might find the interior
end of the ski stapled to the bottom of the slideout. Just pop it off and
remove the staple.

4. Install new ski. Don't worry about trying to restaple, I didn't have a problem
afterwards, as the ski should be held on with automotive trim tape which is
already attached to the ski.

5. Move to other side of slide and repeat.

Also if you find water damage on the bottom of the slide out under the ski, remove any loose plywood and dry thoroughly with a hairdryer, fill in the void with wood putty and paint black before reinstalling the ski.

Hope this helps!
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much and have an awesome day. Thanks again Ed

Tags
slide