RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2021, 01:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Portable Solar panel

Hi,

Is it necessary to get extra portable solar panel to plug in for more power? Or is the one pre installed good enough?

Please let me know if you are using extra solar panel to get more power

thank you
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
This will depend on so many factors it is too hard to say but I just picked up a Geo Pro 19BH with the 190w roof solar but am also certain that I will need my 200watt Renogy briefcase kit with me for boondocking. Primarily because how the roof panel sits, it won't have ideal placement half the time.

The Renogy 200watt kit I purchased from Amazon for less than $400, would give you some good recharge abilities when combined with the roof kit.

No one will probably be able to really answer this until you try it. I heard a great tip the other day. Try boondocking at a campground with full hookups. That way if you run out of power, water or fill your tank too fast you have a plan B.
awd.nv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 31
I got my 22RBHL around 3 weeks ago and didn't know they had included a solar panel until after I took delivery. With the refrigerator running (12v only) it took a few days for the battery to be too low. Right now I'm not using the trailer and I switched the refrigerator off. Everyday though I am opening and closing the slide, awning, use the tongue jack and other electrics and her in CA the battery is constantly fully charged. So the small solar panel is doing a fantastic job. I can't imagine it would be much use for boondocking though.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

Is it necessary to get extra portable solar panel to plug in for more power? Or is the one pre installed good enough?

Please let me know if you are using extra solar panel to get more power

thank you
There are a lot of variables to consider. The sort answer is no. Location, environment, time of year, are just a few of the variables.

If you are in the Northeast Forest area, USA and have a site in the open (rare), a 100 watt panel will allow you to sparingly use your water pump and furnace circulator. That of course assumes that the 3-4 hour window for good solar in late June isn't ruined by cloud cover. Obviously, the more panels and storage capacity you have, the better your experience will be.

I have 500 watts of solar: 2-200 watt portable panels, 1-100 watt suitcase, and a 200AH lithium battery. I have extension cords ranging from 30' to 50'. From what I have seen and read, serious boondockers will have between 400-800 watts of solar. My upgrades have cost me nearly 3000 dollars (ouch).
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
I got my 22RBHL around 3 weeks ago and didn't know they had included a solar panel until after I took delivery. With the refrigerator running (12v only) it took a few days for the battery to be too low. Right now I'm not using the trailer and I switched the refrigerator off. Everyday though I am opening and closing the slide, awning, use the tongue jack and other electrics and her in CA the battery is constantly fully charged. So the small solar panel is doing a fantastic job. I can't imagine it would be much use for boondocking though.
hwo do you turn the refrigetrator off? There is no on or off switch. But I did manage to turn the dial to 0 inside for hottest.. Is this the right way to do it?
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
There are a lot of variables to consider. The sort answer is no. Location, environment, time of year, are just a few of the variables.

If you are in the Northeast Forest area, USA and have a site in the open (rare), a 100 watt panel will allow you to sparingly use your water pump and furnace circulator. That of course assumes that the 3-4 hour window for good solar in late June isn't ruined by cloud cover. Obviously, the more panels and storage capacity you have, the better your experience will be.

I have 500 watts of solar: 2-200 watt portable panels, 1-100 watt suitcase, and a 200AH lithium battery. I have extension cords ranging from 30' to 50'. From what I have seen and read, serious boondockers will have between 400-800 watts of solar. My upgrades have cost me nearly 3000 dollars (ouch).
Wow!! $3000 just for all the solar panels. With all that solar power how many hours do you get out of that? Does it last you the whole day.. I mean not constantly using it. Just normal use.

Do you know the name or brand that is compitable with geo pro 20bhs. do we need special plug?
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
hwo do you turn the refrigetrator off? There is no on or off switch. But I did manage to turn the dial to 0 inside for hottest.. Is this the right way to do it?
I'd read in the forums that there was no switch and I might have just got lucky with a newer model. With mine there is a button to the right of the temperature indicators marked on/off and press for 10 seconds. At 10 seconds nothing happens, but around 12 it turns off.

I'm using the battery isolator each night when I go home after working on the trailer and when the battery is turned back on each morning the first job is to turn the refrigerator back off again. It comes on automatically. I'm currently planning to install a residential style wall switch when I relocate the refrigerator over the next couple of weeks. I'll use a residential switch because I will be confident in it handling the power and they look neater. Just for reference, my refrigerator, hopefully, will be moving back around 24" and I'll install my isolator switch at the time I'm adjusting the cabinetry back there.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
I'd read in the forums that there was no switch and I might have just got lucky with a newer model. With mine there is a button to the right of the temperature indicators marked on/off and press for 10 seconds. At 10 seconds nothing happens, but around 12 it turns off.

I'm using the battery isolator each night when I go home after working on the trailer and when the battery is turned back on each morning the first job is to turn the refrigerator back off again. It comes on automatically. I'm currently planning to install a residential style wall switch when I relocate the refrigerator over the next couple of weeks. I'll use a residential switch because I will be confident in it handling the power and they look neater. Just for reference, my refrigerator, hopefully, will be moving back around 24" and I'll install my isolator switch at the time I'm adjusting the cabinetry back there.
can you take a picture of the turn off switch . i want to see if my have one..
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
This will depend on so many factors it is too hard to say but I just picked up a Geo Pro 19BH with the 190w roof solar but am also certain that I will need my 200watt Renogy briefcase kit with me for boondocking. Primarily because how the roof panel sits, it won't have ideal placement half the time.

The Renogy 200watt kit I purchased from Amazon for less than $400, would give you some good recharge abilities when combined with the roof kit.

No one will probably be able to really answer this until you try it. I heard a great tip the other day. Try boondocking at a campground with full hookups. That way if you run out of power, water or fill your tank too fast you have a plan B.
is this the kit you got?
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-200-Wa...4139999&sr=8-3

do you need to get any adapter to plug into the trailer?
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
can you take a picture of the turn off switch . i want to see if my have one..
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.14.19 PM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	248286  
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
Here you go.

yeah you got the newer model. the one I got is just the knob from 0 - 7 I turned it to 0 for the warmesth but it doesn't shut off.

OPERATING YOUR REFRIGERATOR
Temperature Control
Your refrigerator has one control for regulating the
temperature. The temperature control is located on the top
center of the refrigerator compartment.
The first time you turn the unit on, adjust the temperature
control knob to 7 and run for at least 2 hours before putting
foods inside. This will ensure the cabinet is thoroughly
chilled before food is put in.
The range of the refrigerator temperature control is from
position "1" the warmest to "7" the coldest. Adjust the
temperature control to the setting that best suits your needs.
The setting of 4 should be appropriate for home or office
refrigerator use.
Turning the temperature control knob to 0 position stops the cooling cycle but does not shut off the power to the unit.

Thank you. They should make a shut off switch so I can switch it off and on. Wonder how many power does it use if it is in the 0 position.
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:01 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: California
Posts: 14
Is there a limit on how much electricity the storage batteries can accept from solar panels? I have a portable power station that can be recharged with a maximum of 100W solar panel.
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
Old man RVer
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 57
How do you like your Renogy 200 watt solar kit? I'm thinking of getting one.
2WheelJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFischer View Post
Is there a limit on how much electricity the storage batteries can accept from solar panels? I have a portable power station that can be recharged with a maximum of 100W solar panel.
The limit is determined by how much wattage you have in solar panels and the "size/rating" of the solar controller.

The controller will limit the amount sent to the batteries according to the battery's state of charge.

Portable power stations most likely have solar controllers built in that limit panel input to 100 watts or whatever the manufacturer designed in.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
hwo do you turn the refrigetrator off? There is no on or off switch. But I did manage to turn the dial to 0 inside for hottest.. Is this the right way to do it?
My unit does not have an off switch but instead, I pull the fuse for the appliance circuit. Before putting the fuse back in, I would shut off the battery circuit at the kill switch to prevent an electrical ark. On the 19BH the battery kill switch is under the propane tank area, there is a knob you turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelJon View Post
How do you like your Renogy 200 watt solar kit? I'm thinking of getting one.
If this was for me, I have only used it a handful of times but I love it. A bit too heavy for my wife but I do not have issues with it.
awd.nv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd.nv View Post
My unit does not have an off switch but instead, I pull the fuse for the appliance circuit. Before putting the fuse back in, I would shut off the battery circuit at the kill switch to prevent an electrical ark. On the 19BH the battery kill switch is under the propane tank area, there is a knob you turn.



If this was for me, I have only used it a handful of times but I love it. A bit too heavy for my wife but I do not have issues with it.
Where is the fuse at anyway? why not just kill the battery switch and be done with ..
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 95
Question for the solar guys. If you don't boondock, never really a reason to have one then, correct? We thought about getting one for our salem, and even thought about having a panel installed on the roof, but most of the time we camp in spots that have tree cover, and electricity, so it doesn't seem beneficial.

I thought it might be nice for the times before a trip when I have the trailer home (on the street without access to electricity), so to keep the batterys up while I have the fridge running (I have the everchill as well). But I feel like even I get a spot to put it in, someone would just steal a panel on the ground.

Suffice, we haven't got one yet. Every once in awhile the DW brings it up though...
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
Question for the solar guys. If you don't boondock, never really a reason to have one then, correct? We thought about getting one for our salem, and even thought about having a panel installed on the roof, but most of the time we camp in spots that have tree cover, and electricity, so it doesn't seem beneficial.

I thought it might be nice for the times before a trip when I have the trailer home (on the street without access to electricity), so to keep the batterys up while I have the fridge running (I have the everchill as well). But I feel like even I get a spot to put it in, someone would just steal a panel on the ground.

Suffice, we haven't got one yet. Every once in awhile the DW brings it up though...
Yeah. if you don't dry camp or boondock you don't need one. Only for some places where they don't have any hookup. Does your trailer have the solar READY where you just plug in a portal solar panel? if so I would just get the 100watt because you can get a extension cord and just place it where you have sunlight and you can capture the solar power.. But then again you says you only go to places where you have hookup.
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Where is the fuse at anyway? why not just kill the battery switch and be done with ..
Well, you just mentioned turning the fridge off, if you mean for storing then all you need to do is turn the kill switch to off. Look around your battery box, mine was below the propane tanks
awd.nv is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.