Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #1

Power converters

What power converter is Rockwood using in the 2023 ultra-lites with 12-volt fridge and solar panel? The reason I ask is that I am considering either two AGM batteries or the newer lithium type. I know and have researched the charging needs for each type. Want to know if there are adjustments needed for charging when connected to shore power for the converter OR does the
GO-Power unit handle it?
I know I can set the GO-Power solar controller for different types of batteries flooded, SLA, AGM, lithium.
Guyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

2022 Mini-Lite manufactured in March shipped with an "-AD" model, auto detect. I would think they are now using -AD models in all camper units.

If you opt for the lithium batteries... prior posts on this board indicate a non-lithium converter will charge lithium batteries to appx 80% with the Go Power solar system finishing off the remaining 20%. Obviously of course, if the solar energy more than offsets the load on the batteries.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #3

No manuals with the new trailer or don't you have this camper as yet? Power center manual (that includes the converter inside) came with mine.

-- Chuck
Old 08-18-2022, 08:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I am waiting for delivery and have an about date for delivery.
No documents in hand yet. Just curious and wanting to make some preliminary plans. When I take delivery and have the info I will pass it along.

I found the post regarding the solar finishing the charge about 20 minutes after I posted. I am new to the forum and still learning the landscape. In fact never used and chat rooms or forums like this.

I was wanting to go lithium with the 12 volt fridge and the way the new trailer will be used. Most feedback sounds good just the cost thing and that may be a draw or better over the time span.

Thanks again and I will post when I know what the 2023 units have for sure.
Guyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

I ordered our 2109s with a second solar panel (2 x 190w) and bought two 100ah lithium batteries which are now installed in the front pass thru storage area. We have the 12v fridge also. Living in S Florida, I have tested the 12v system and confirmed in the backyard that with consecutive cloudy days (and with the WiFi device turned off!), the batteries with what little solar was collected over those days kept the empty fridge running for 3 days. Keep in mind that an empty fridge means a lot more run time than one that is already full of cold mass.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #6

I have a 2022 Mini Lite 2205s, I need to find out if the factory coverter will charge my Lithium batteries (discovery batteries with bluetooth) up to 14.1-14.4, so far with shore power I cannot get that high so I am considering upgrading the converter but not sure if i need to updrade the wiring in the trailer as well to accomdate the upgrade.
Redtickcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #7

Your converter will charge your Lithium batteries just fine. Perhaps not as efficiently as a $pecial "Lithium" battery charger but they will charge. Trailer wiring is fine for either. Unless and until you find capacity problems with your Lithiums I'd leave the converter alone. Why spend money needlessly?

-- Chuck
Old 09-23-2023, 05:09 PM   #8

Charging

What the issue is that on shore power i need to get the lithium batteries above 14.4 to "level off" the batteries (per the instructions) to put the batteries in sync other wise when dry camping the batteries reduce at different rates, one will drop to 35% the other is 67%, using shore power seems to fall short, I have 190 watt solar that should kick it up (go power) but it does not seem to get there, i also have a renogy 200 watt suitcase, both have non MPPT controllers so i wonder if upgrading the controllers will help since it will put in more juice quicker.

thanks for your help
Old 09-23-2023, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtickcpa View Post
What the issue is that on shore power i need to get the lithium batteries above 14.4 to "level off" the batteries (per the instructions) to put the batteries in sync other wise when dry camping the batteries reduce at different rates, one will drop to 35% the other is 67%, using shore power seems to fall short, I have 190 watt solar that should kick it up (go power) but it does not seem to get there, i also have a renogy 200 watt suitcase, both have non MPPT controllers so i wonder if upgrading the controllers will help since it will put in more juice quicker.

thanks for your help
PWM (non MPPT) Solar controllers can also have Lithium capable modes. Look in mfr of controller for programming instructions. If no Lithium mode justcselect AGM which is close enough.

Since you have a 2022 model RV, there's a very good chance the OE converter is Lithium capable. Again the manufacturer's manualcfor converter or mfr's website.

Some are "auto detect" and others require manual "programming".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
PWM (non MPPT) Solar controllers can also have Lithium capable modes. Look in mfr of controller for programming instructions. If no Lithium mode justcselect AGM which is close enough.

Since you have a 2022 model RV, there's a very good chance the OE converter is Lithium capable. Again the manufacturer's manualcfor converter or mfr's website.

Some are "auto detect" and others require manual "programming".
the contollle is PMW and i have it set to Lithium so that is good, PWM are not as effecient as MPPT which i can change it out, the issue is topping off the batteries to 14.4 to get them in sync once they go out of balance, i am looking for a dc to dc charger but not sure which one to choose.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:01 PM   #11

Not sure how a dc-dc converter would work in this situation. Could you use a standalone battery charger?
Old 09-24-2023, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtickcpa View Post

thanks for your help

something is wrong with your setup if the two batteries are not charging at the same rate. How did you determine each state of charge?

Do not connect more or buy different charging sources
dc-dc or converters etc................ get the batteries equalized first!

Disconnect the solar... for the initial test and charging.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT Charge each battery by itself... until they are fully charged.

with the batteries being so far apart in SOC the current between them will be very high...
the battery BMS could possibly be shutting down the battery because of the imbalance

Disconnect the parallel wiring of the batteries
just use the converter to charge each battery one at a time ,
try not to use any 12v items while charging.

Use a multi meter to confirm voltage as you charge
check each

after BOTH have reach same SOC charged and while reconnecting in parallel .... make sure all connections are clean FLAT and tight .

make sure you have them connected in parallel correctly..
the negative of both batteries joined together and then the positives joined together.

Battery 1 will have the main positive going out to the trailer power center/busbar

Battery 2 will have the main negative going to the frame / busbar

Try not to have a bunch of connections on the Battery terminal
use a busbar to connect other chargers (solar)
battery ---- main Fuse ---- battery disconnect --- Busbar ---- individual wires out to trailer

Connect the solar wires so it is NOT accidentally turned OFF by the battery disconnect

If you are unsure.... of any of your setup take pictures and post them up.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
something is wrong with your setup if the two batteries are not charging at the same rate. How did you determine each state of charge?

Do not connect more or buy different charging sources
dc-dc or converters etc................ get the batteries equalized first!

Disconnect the solar... for the initial test and charging.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT Charge each battery by itself... until they are fully charged.

with the batteries being so far apart in SOC the current between them will be very high...
the battery BMS could possibly be shutting down the battery because of the imbalance

Disconnect the parallel wiring of the batteries
just use the converter to charge each battery one at a time ,
try not to use any 12v items while charging.

Use a multi meter to confirm voltage as you charge
check each

after BOTH have reach same SOC charged and while reconnecting in parallel .... make sure all connections are clean FLAT and tight .

make sure you have them connected in parallel correctly..
the negative of both batteries joined together and then the positives joined together.

Battery 1 will have the main positive going out to the trailer power center/busbar

Battery 2 will have the main negative going to the frame / busbar

Try not to have a bunch of connections on the Battery terminal
use a busbar to connect other chargers (solar)
battery ---- main Fuse ---- battery disconnect --- Busbar ---- individual wires out to trailer

Connect the solar wires so it is NOT accidentally turned OFF by the battery disconnect

If you are unsure.... of any of your setup take pictures and post them up.
The batteries are Discover Lithium that have blue tooth feature that your phone connects to display SOC and volts, that is what i am using to determine SOC, I also use a meter to verify volts, the solar shop i bought the batteries told me that i needed to get the batteries up to 14.4 to balance them, that is the issue, shore power with solar does not get the batteries up to 14.4 that is why i wanted to get a dc-dc charger to get the SOC to 100 and the volts to 14.4, what would you recommed for a charge to get the volts up there.

2022 Rockwood MiniLite 2205S
2014 Ford F150 Eco, towing package
Old 09-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #14

2023 trailer should have a lithium capable converter...
check what converter you have.... some converters have a switch you have to use other converters suppose to auto detect

IF your converter is not lithium capable... you can use an ordinary battery charger that is lithium capable...

charge only ONE battery at a time
do not parallel the batteries for the initial install/charge.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #15
Canadian Member

A 2023 Rockwood Ultra Light will have WFCO's WF-8955-AD (auto-detect) converter/charger that's supposed to auto-detect lithium batteries and automatically switch charging profiles.

That said, after talking to WFCO directly, I've found that in my 2023 Rockwood Signature TT the converter is too far away from the battery (on the tongue of the trailer) for the auto-detect function to work. Its around a 50-60 feet round trip wire length. So the only options to get the AD converter to automatically switch to a lithium charging profile is to:
1) move the battery(ies) closer to the converter,
2) move the converter closer to the battery(ies), or
3) increase the size of the wiring between the converter and the battery(ies). For my trailer, the factory used 6 ga wire but I'd need 2/0 gauge wire to sufficiently reduce the voltage loss for the converter to "see" a lithium battery.

In my floorplan, I believe all options would involve getting into the underbelly to do some wiring work.

Fortunately, the single 200W solar panel and Go Power 30A PWM solar controller can get lithium batteries up to 100% SOC but it won't be as fast as a proper lithium charging profile from the converter.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power