RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #1

Power issue...

So, I went to bed last night and all was good. We had a thunderstorm roll through at about 1:30am. When I got up this morning, none of the outlets in the living room or kitchen were working. None of the breakers were trio tripped, the fuses all look fine and my Progressive EMS showed no errors.

All the 12v seem to be operating fine.

Iíve reset the breakers anyway, reset the power at the pedestal and still no luck.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Rockwood 8289ws.

Thanks!!
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #2

GFCI tripped?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
GFCI tripped?

Yep. I figured it out. My outside outlet tripped the GFCI. I didnít realize all of my inside outlets, even those not near water, were on the same circuit. I found the one that has a reset button and all is good.

Thanks!!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
GFCI tripped?
X2. Most likely your GFCI tripped. It is often in your bathroom. Find it and press the reset button.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
Yep. I figured it out. My outside outlet tripped the GFCI. I didnít realize all of my inside outlets, even those not near water, were on the same circuit. I found the one that has a reset button and all is good.

Thanks!!
Glad it was that simple and you fixed it.

My previous TT did the same frequently and it also was the outside receptacle that was the culprit. The so called "weatherproof" cover wasn't weatherproof by any stretch of the imagination and whenever it rained, with wind, and the outlet got wet it tripped.

I looked around for a better outlet cover and found a die-cast one that had a really good gasket around each individual "flap". The plastic one the factory put on went where all other crummy devices like it end up, the dump.

The one I ended up looked like this:

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post

Thanks!!
One thing that I do is map out all of my outlets to their appropriate breakers in the panel. I do this by turning everything off and then turning each one individually. Once one is on, I take a set of Christmas lights and plug it in everywhere (or if you have a non-contact voltage detector, this can make quicker work of it).

I save that as a note on my phone and can always refer back to it.

You may even find that you have surprises- like my fridge and microwave breakers were labeled opposite of each other.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Glad it was that simple and you fixed it.

My previous TT did the same frequently and it also was the outside receptacle that was the culprit. The so called "weatherproof" cover wasn't weatherproof by any stretch of the imagination and whenever it rained, with wind, and the outlet got wet it tripped.

I looked around for a better outlet cover and found a die-cast one that had a really good gasket around each individual "flap". The plastic one the factory put on went where all other crummy devices like it end up, the dump.

The one I ended up looked like this:

Thatís a good idea. Our previous rig didnít have this problem and this one has been OK until this incident. Not sure a different cover would help if I have something plugged into it.

I ended up unplugging the Christmas lights and plugging them directly into the pedestal, so hopefully problem solved.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
One thing that I do is map out all of my outlets to their appropriate breakers in the panel. I do this by turning everything off and then turning each one individually. Once one is on, I take a set of Christmas lights and plug it in everywhere (or if you have a non-contact voltage detector, this can make quicker work of it).

I save that as a note on my phone and can always refer back to it.

You may even find that you have surprises- like my fridge and microwave breakers were labeled opposite of each other.

Good idea. I know which inside outlets are tied together, I just didnít realize the outside outlet was hooked into the same network.

Tags
power