RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 67
Power issue...

So, I went to bed last night and all was good. We had a thunderstorm roll through at about 1:30am. When I got up this morning, none of the outlets in the living room or kitchen were working. None of the breakers were trio tripped, the fuses all look fine and my Progressive EMS showed no errors.

All the 12v seem to be operating fine.

Iíve reset the breakers anyway, reset the power at the pedestal and still no luck.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Rockwood 8289ws.

Thanks!!
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,292
GFCI tripped?
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
GFCI tripped?


Yep. I figured it out. My outside outlet tripped the GFCI. I didnít realize all of my inside outlets, even those not near water, were on the same circuit. I found the one that has a reset button and all is good.

Thanks!!
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
GFCI tripped?
X2. Most likely your GFCI tripped. It is often in your bathroom. Find it and press the reset button.
__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2019 Keystone Loredo 290SRL
2019 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins crew cab
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
Yep. I figured it out. My outside outlet tripped the GFCI. I didnít realize all of my inside outlets, even those not near water, were on the same circuit. I found the one that has a reset button and all is good.

Thanks!!
Glad it was that simple and you fixed it.

My previous TT did the same frequently and it also was the outside receptacle that was the culprit. The so called "weatherproof" cover wasn't weatherproof by any stretch of the imagination and whenever it rained, with wind, and the outlet got wet it tripped.

I looked around for a better outlet cover and found a die-cast one that had a really good gasket around each individual "flap". The plastic one the factory put on went where all other crummy devices like it end up, the dump.

The one I ended up looked like this:

__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
Yep. I figured it out. My outside outlet tripped the GFCI. I didnít realize all of my inside outlets, even those not near water, were on the same circuit. I found the one that has a reset button and all is good.

Thanks!!
One thing that I do is map out all of my outlets to their appropriate breakers in the panel. I do this by turning everything off and then turning each one individually. Once one is on, I take a set of Christmas lights and plug it in everywhere (or if you have a non-contact voltage detector, this can make quicker work of it).

I save that as a note on my phone and can always refer back to it.

You may even find that you have surprises- like my fridge and microwave breakers were labeled opposite of each other.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Glad it was that simple and you fixed it.



My previous TT did the same frequently and it also was the outside receptacle that was the culprit. The so called "weatherproof" cover wasn't weatherproof by any stretch of the imagination and whenever it rained, with wind, and the outlet got wet it tripped.



I looked around for a better outlet cover and found a die-cast one that had a really good gasket around each individual "flap". The plastic one the factory put on went where all other crummy devices like it end up, the dump.



The one I ended up looked like this:





Thatís a good idea. Our previous rig didnít have this problem and this one has been OK until this incident. Not sure a different cover would help if I have something plugged into it.

I ended up unplugging the Christmas lights and plugging them directly into the pedestal, so hopefully problem solved.

Thanks
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
One thing that I do is map out all of my outlets to their appropriate breakers in the panel. I do this by turning everything off and then turning each one individually. Once one is on, I take a set of Christmas lights and plug it in everywhere (or if you have a non-contact voltage detector, this can make quicker work of it).



I save that as a note on my phone and can always refer back to it.



You may even find that you have surprises- like my fridge and microwave breakers were labeled opposite of each other.


Good idea. I know which inside outlets are tied together, I just didnít realize the outside outlet was hooked into the same network.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.