Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #1

PrePurchase Questions. GeoPro EPro 20BHS and similar

Hi everyone. Hoping to be able to become a part of the community very soon with either an EPro or GeoPro 20bhs model. My wife and I had a few questions that we just couldn't get confident answers for from the stealerships. I was hoping a few of you fine folks here could help out. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of them, and will update the thread or reply with new questions. Thanks in advance!

#1 Question! - The Fridge. Every geopro/epro model I'm finding on the lots right now has the rebdranded MagicChef/Everchill 12v fridge. I personally prefer the 3-way fridges, but don't know if we want to wait 4 months to have one built with the 3-way. Our camping will be almost exclusively dry camping/boondocking. I've had experience with 3-ways in the past, and love them. I understand that run time varies depending on panel exposure to the sun, ect ect. But I can't imagine that single panel providing enough current to replenish what a 12v fridge is constantly pulling from the battery(ies). In your experience, how long can you be dry and keep the fridge running without killing the battery?

#2 - The Oven. How has everyone felt about the oven compared to just the cooktop? I'd personally prefer just the cooktop, as we don't see ourselves doing much baking while camping. My preference for the cooktop only has 2 parts to it. 1, I get an extra cabinet. 2, It seems to me that everyone I've read about has had issues with the weight of the oven unit pulling screws out of the countertop/mounting area. Does anyone here have the oven and wish they'd have gone with just the cook top? Or anyone with just the cooktop who wishes they'd have gone with the oven? Like with the fridge, every one I see in dealer lots right now has the oven. I wouldn't be unhappy with it, compared to waiting 4 months for a special order unit.

#3 - The solar system (I still say Pluto is a planet). I've heard a lot of people mentioning that the factory equipped solar system isn't enough to be considered even supplemental. I know that if I want to add another panel I need to match panels (at least with the existing solar charge controller) which means shelling out $$$ for the matching panel, or just swapping out to two less expensive panels. I'd like to factor this in to our initial cost if it's something I need to do. Has anyone felt that the system is subpar for ~ 3day trips?

This info loops back to question 1 and 3. Most of out time will be spent in wide open spaces of the SoCal deserts, so tree coverage of the panel(s) isn't an issue, but the extra heat generated is which may make the fridge work harder to keep temperature. On a few rare other occasions we'll be in norcal forests. With work and kids it's rare that we'd ever be out for more than 3 days. There will be times which we have a generator hooked up and running for the AC, which I know will also help charge the batteries, but in the cooler months, I won't be doing that, and most likely will shed the extra weight by not bringing the gen. If things do get that low in the trailer during those trips, I'll hook up to the running truck to give a little charge.

Sorry for all the ramble. I hope someone here has some insight on these questions. Thanks a million, and happy camping!
Seidita84t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #2

I believe there are a few individual threads in the forums that will touch on each of your questions in more detail, but to briefly comment: My experience is that the included solar is likely not enough to boondock unless you have high capacity batteries and are really conscious of your electrical usage. We find that the stock setup is good enough for us, but we have been hook up only since ownership. The panel keeps the batteries at 100% at that level of usage.

Our trailer has two refrigerators. The interior is Dometic gas / electric, and the outside bar fridge is a 115v Hotpoint (you can power it using the inverter and batteries if not on hookups). I don't know how long it would run without shore power, but I can't imagine it would be long.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote