Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #1

Problems with 12V Fridge

So we recently got our new 21 GeoPro 19BH. Took it out for the first trip and according to our digital fridge thermometer, we could never get the fridge cooler than 44 degrees.

It’s a Magic Chef 12V 4.3 cu. ft. Model: WD127FDC

The freezer stays frozen no problem. But the main compartment is not getting cold enough. There is a dial from 0-7 inside and the manual states 0 stops cooling, 1 is warmest and 7 is coldest.

The fridge was running for a few days and I turned it to 3. A few hours later it was 46 degrees inside. There was a fair amount of condensation on the back wall.

I turned it to 5 and a few hours later checked. The thermometer was still 46 degrees but now the condensation on the back wall was frozen.

Now I’ve turned it all the way to 7 again. At one point it was 44 degrees inside (still not cold enough) but it’s not going any lower. Checked all the door seals and they all seem good.

Supposed how much condensation is inside. On the back wall. Trailer is now in a shop so completely shaded. Never gets over about 70 degrees ambient in the trailer.

Any ideas? I’m totally out of them.
Casademike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casademike View Post
So we recently got our new 21 GeoPro 19BH. Took it out for the first trip and according to our digital fridge thermometer, we could never get the fridge cooler than 44 degrees.

The freezer stays frozen no problem. But the main compartment is not getting cold enough. There is a dial from 0-7 inside and the manual states 0 stops cooling, 1 is warmest and 7 is coldest.

The fridge was running for a few days and I turned it to 3. A few hours later it was 46 degrees inside. There was a fair amount of condensation on the back wall.

I turned it to 5 and a few hours later checked. The thermometer was still 46 degrees but now the condensation on the back wall was frozen.

Now I’ve turned it all the way to 7 again. At one point it was 44 degrees inside (still not cold enough) but it’s not going any lower. Checked all the door seals and they all seem good.

Supposed how much condensation is inside. On the back wall. Trailer is now in a shop so completely shaded. Never gets over about 70 degrees ambient in the trailer.

Have the same fridge and has gone down in the 30s. Keeping it under 5 stays under 40 for me.

I would have them look at it while in the shop.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:38 AM   #3

Put things in it, then it will get cold.
Superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:31 AM   #4

Yes. We’ve taken it out per above. It’s been full. It’s been empty. No difference.
Tow Vehicle:
2021 Ford F-150 / 11,600 towing / 1826 payload
Old 06-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casademike View Post

I've been having the same problem. I've called and left voice messages with Way International (no call back yet) to find out how the fridge should operate. The freezer seems to work fine but can't get the fresh food compartment to stay below 40 degrees (using multiple thermometers to check). Last thing I tried was a fridge fan but doesn't seems to help either.
Bellas owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellas owner View Post
I've been having the same problem. I've called and left voice messages with Way International (no call back yet) to find out how the fridge should operate. The freezer seems to work fine but can't get the fresh food compartment to stay below 40 degrees (using multiple thermometers to check). Last thing I tried was a fridge fan but doesn't seems to help either.
This may be counterintuitive but try turning the freezer temperature up. Some have posted that the freezer temperature control knob adjusts the airflow to the fridge.

Good luck!
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

Thanks. The weird thing about this fridge is there is no separate freezer setting or control knob. Just the one dial in the main compartment.
Tow Vehicle:
2021 Ford F-150 / 11,600 towing / 1826 payload
Old 06-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #8

Copy on having things in it. Have you been up on the roof to see if you have warm air coming out of the vent? Could be a circulation issue vent maybe blocked.
Superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #9

Not an absorption fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty glampers View Post
Copy on having things in it. Have you been up on the roof to see if you have warm air coming out of the vent? Could be a circulation issue vent maybe blocked.
Pretty sure the OP's fridge is a 12v compressor fridge, not an absorption fridge. There would be neither a roof vent nor a panel on the outside behind the fridge. It's like a "dorm" fridge except that it operates on 12 Vdc, not 120 Vac.

These were introduced a couple of years ago. Some of them work well and are quite reliable. A few of the copycats are reportedly junk (Furrion). One model appears under at least three different badges including Magic Chef. Not sure about its reputation.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #10

I have the same fridge in my G20BHS. I have it set on 7, for max coldness.

My freezer measures in at 18 degrees F and my fridge (currently empty) is at 41 degrees F. I think technically they are supposed to be at or under 40 degrees for ultimate food safety. It may dip under 40 when I get it loaded with food.

Tags
fridge