Old 04-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Propane Bottle Securement Upgrade

Greetings all,

The method Rockwood chose to secure the propane bottles is cumbersome and crude. A wingnut and bolt? Either is easily dropped and searching for where it went in the compartment can be frustrating. Has anyone replaced this method with a simple folding metal clasp or similar elegant method? I'd love to learn how you went about making the job of releasing and securing the bottles easy.

Thank you!

Dale Schultz

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8289WS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab, 4X4, 6.2L V8
dalemschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Wingnut and the bolt has been the easiest for me on four campers from the 1973 to the 2013.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Thank you Oaklevel!

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8289WS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab, 4X4, 6.2L V8
dalemschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

I'm not sure I'd spend the time fixing something I only remove once per year.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemschultz View Post
Greetings all,

The method Rockwood chose to secure the propane bottles is cumbersome and crude. A wingnut and bolt? Either is easily dropped and searching for where it went in the compartment can be frustrating. Has anyone replaced this method with a simple folding metal clasp or similar elegant method? I'd love to learn how you went about making the job of releasing and securing the bottles easy.

Thank you!

Dale Schultz
What Dave is describing sounds like the same method used to secure the two propane tanks in our 2013 Flagstaff. In addition to the potential to losing the bolt and/or wingnut into an inaccessible area, a full tank weighs a considerable amount, approximately 55 pounds. Lifting 55# to mid-body height to get the tank over the strap mechanism is difficult for older men and maybe impossible for most women. The metal band strap has to be pulled out of position (flexed/bent) and the tank slid into position scraping the white paint of the tank. Clearly this is a low cost solution for Forest River, and did not consider real world convenience for the customer.

I too would be interested in any creative solutions to the Forest River method of securing the propane tanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

I have trouble with the 30-lb tanks in the nose of my Windjammer. Since they aren't replaced that often, I'm thinking of swapping the 30s out for 20's. It would mean that I have to replace them more often, but it would also mean that they are easier to lift, easier to get through the door, easier to reach the tie-down, and (possibly most important) easier to get more propane. It would mean that I'd have a 33% less propane, but I think all the "easiers" would make it worth more frequent swaps. If I've done the BTU math correctly, I'd get 24-28 hours furnace burn time rather than the current 36-39 hours furnance burn time of the two 30-lb tanks.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Happy Camper

Most newer units come with the 20lb tanks standard to save weight but the units are also more LP friendly. I have a 2015 36ft - 321BHTS Surveyor and I have not had any problems during cold weather camping. I will admit you have to physically check the tanks because the auto-switch for tanks will keep the furnace on all night by switching supply tanks automatically. Checking the gauge will show red to indicate first tank out with second tank on-line. Happy Camping :-)
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
I have trouble with the 30-lb tanks in the nose of my Windjammer. Since they aren't replaced that often, I'm thinking of swapping the 30s out for 20's. It would mean that I have to replace them more often, but it would also mean that they are easier to lift, easier to get through the door, easier to reach the tie-down, and (possibly most important) easier to get more propane. It would mean that I'd have a 33% less propane, but I think all the "easiers" would make it worth more frequent swaps. If I've done the BTU math correctly, I'd get 24-28 hours furnace burn time rather than the current 36-39 hours furnance burn time of the two 30-lb tanks.
We have an Ultra V and as soon as we bought it I swapped out the 30lb tanks for 20LB ones for 2 reasons. Our hitch weight was already OVER 1300 pounds and I like the convenience of being able to simply swap out the 20lb ones just about anywhere while traveling. Plus, at our age we just couldn't handle the weight of the 30lb tanks. We are VERY happy we put the 20lb tanks in.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #9

My bottles were secure with a new TT from the dealer when they filled the tanks with a new purchase, or so I thought. About 2 days into a cross country trip while pulling out of a gas station I heard one of those "noises" the dealer mentioned would be the WDH.
Wrong! The all-thread bolt that secures the tanks was not screwed into the base plate, the tanks decided they had enough of the trip and jumped off the TT tongue and were dragged for a few miles on I-40 until I took notice of other drivers frantically waving and then speeding away. Now I know why. I could not see any of the tongue in my rear view mirrors.
Found a God given wide spot in the road and remedied the situation.
I now have one of those 4 foot orange fiberglass rods drilled into the tank cover. It sticks up far enough for me to see in my mirrors. It also has reflective tape for night vision. Some folks ask what is is for, I just tell them it is my "propane indicator". If it is there, the tanks are there.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

The securing method on my rig (stock) seems to work fine. I have two 30lb tanks and really like them given the type of camping I tend to do especially in the colder months

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, upgrade