Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Propane Tank Level

I'm new to all this but can anyone suggest how to tell what the level of my propane tanks are? We have Two 20gal tanks and I'm guessing that will last the whole summer but it would be nice to know the levels anyway.

Thanks.
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...ector/21803283

I've been thinking about picking up a couple of these, but I'm not sure how they would fit in with the switchover valve; and whether theres room in the cover.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Just make sure you have both valves open and keep an eye on your auto switchover valve/regulator, when it turns red that means the tank on that side is empty. Pull it off, get it refilled, and then flip the auto switchover valve to point at the tank that wasn't just filled in order to make it the primary tank. Then when that one is empty it will switch to the full tank (Make sure the valve is open) and you can get the now-empty tank refilled without interrupting the propane going into the trailer.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
I'm new to all this but can anyone suggest how to tell what the level of my propane tanks are? We have Two 20gal tanks and I'm guessing that will last the whole summer but it would be nice to know the levels anyway.

Thanks.
You can weigh them, or pour hot water on the cylinders and run your hand over the tank till you feel the cool temp difference, which will be the liquid propane level.

This thread will explain how to weigh them with bathroom or luggage scales, and see how much is in the cylinders.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Just make sure you have both valves open and keep an eye on your auto switchover valve/regulator, when it turns red that means the tank on that side is empty. Pull it off, get it refilled, and then flip the auto switchover valve to point at the tank that wasn't just filled in order to make it the primary tank. Then when that one is empty it will switch to the full tank (Make sure the valve is open) and you can get the now-empty tank refilled without interrupting the propane going into the trailer.
Here is also another detailed FAQ on the auto changeover valve DieselDrax explained above.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...or-146655.html

Since you stated you were new, these as well as some other things are linked to in this thread that may help in your RV adventures.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

The most accurate way is to weigh them. Stamped on the tank will be the tare weight, often marked TW. That’s the weight of the tank when empty. So weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight. The result will be weight of the remaining propane.

Not quite as accurate, but usually accurate enough: https://smile.amazon.com/Original-Gr...=propane+gauge

And be aware that pressure based gages are not very accurate. The pressure doesn’t really change until the tank is almost empty.
bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergy View Post
The most accurate way is to weigh them. Stamped on the tank will be the tare weight, often marked TW. That’s the weight of the tank when empty. So weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight. The result will be weight of the remaining propane.

Not quite as accurate, but usually accurate enough: https://smile.amazon.com/Original-Gr...=propane+gauge

And be aware that pressure based gages are not very accurate. The pressure doesn’t really change until the tank is almost empty.
or one of these for almost half price.
https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Digit...=baggage+scale

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

I had thought about getting some of these wireless propane tank gauges. However, it now seems like more hassle than it's worth. If one tank runs empty, I just switch to the other tank and then go fill the empty tank. Ya, I may have a very momentary lapse in propane and whatever it was running, but it's not that big a deal - trying to simplify my life
Attached Images

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
I had thought about getting some of these wireless propane tank gauges. However, it now seems like more hassle than it's worth. If one tank runs empty, I just switch to the other tank and then go fill the empty tank. Ya, I may have a very momentary lapse in propane and whatever it was running, but it's not that big a deal - trying to simplify my life
I use those with the app. The monitor is not accurate enough. These are great. This way I can check both tanks yet leave the changeover valve open.....never run out but know when to fill one of the tanks.

It simplifies my life by not having to go open the door and actually check. Such First World problems!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

How to remember which is the primary propane tank

I shut off the propane vales when I am back home and the fridge is unloaded. I made a ring out of some wire that I put over the valve on the primary tank so I know which one I am pulling from. I can't see the pointer on the changeover valve but with the wire ring I know which tank was in use.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
I had thought about getting some of these wireless propane tank gauges.
I have them...I like them a lot.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Trauma Level Check. It is dead-on accurate and simple to use.

https://shop.truma.net/products/truma-levelcheck

Bruce
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Trauma Level Check. It is dead-on accurate and simple to use.

https://shop.truma.net/products/truma-levelcheck

Bruce
I was about to get one of those until I found the Bluetooth ones which are more simple and convenient
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your great comments.

I took the trailer down and had the tanks topped off for the first time. We only used about a fourth of the gas in the two tanks and been camping in it maybe a total of 10 days since we got it. We don't cook a lot in the trailer, just a small breakfast. Sandwich for lunches and dutch oven dinners or out to eat.

The man at the dealer explained the auto switch over and I think I'll just check that each time before leaving. I'm a big Gaget-holic, but I think this will be simplist.
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
Thanks everyone for your great comments.

I took the trailer down and had the tanks topped off for the first time. We only used about a fourth of the gas in the two tanks and been camping in it maybe a total of 10 days since we got it. We don't cook a lot in the trailer, just a small breakfast. Sandwich for lunches and dutch oven dinners or out to eat.

The man at the dealer explained the auto switch over and I think I'll just check that each time before leaving. I'm a big Gaget-holic, but I think this will be simplist.
Yep... anyone that understands how the auto-changeover regulator works and knows enough to read the integrated indicator, realizes that's all that is needed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post

I've been thinking about picking up a couple of these, but I'm not sure how they would fit in with the switchover valve; and whether theres room in the cover.
I tried these and although they do work they extended my hose to the point that it rubbed on my cover. With the vibration and movement going down the road it eventually wore a hole in the hose and I leaked propane. For some reason safety valve did not stop excessive flow?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #17
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post

Those gauges are a waste of money and a borderline scam.

When you have a propane tank that's full, you have propane that's under pressure to the point of converting it to liquid, hence LPG. Anyway, this is a fixed physical property of propane. On a warm 80 F day, the vapor pressure is 128 psi.

If you have a full tank, the propane vapor above a large volume of liquid propane will have a pressure of 128 psi. If you have a half full tank, the propane vapor above a medium volume of liquid propane will have a pressure of 128 psi. If you have a 1/4 full tank, the propane vapor of a small volume of liquid propane will have a pressure of 128 psi. If you have a tank of one drop of liquid propane, the vapor pressure above that drop will be 128 psi.

When the tank is nearly empty and all of the LPG has converted to gas, then the psi will drop as the gas is used ... but, at that point, there's really nothing left.

Any pressure gauge will be sort of useless until way after it's too late to react.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yep... anyone that understands how the auto-changeover regulator works and knows enough to read the integrated indicator, realizes that's all that is needed.
My 2019 only has the 524AS Double Stage Low Pressure Regulator with T check valve - so no auto change over or indicator here.

Entry level trailers don't get the good stuff, so that's is why people are looking for propane level indicators, battery shut off switches, voltage monitors, EMS etc.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

FYI. As mentioned before the gauge that works on the vapor pressure inside the tank is not very accurate. On the large 250 to 1000 gallon tanks you see in rural areas there is an actual float inside that measures the level of liquid propane. This level is transferred to a gauge connected to the outside of the tank by magnets. The gauge can be removed without propane vapor leaking out.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #20

The guard I use is sonar based and is based off the amount of liquid. Plus it’s Bluetooth, and I can check while in the camper or the house.

Tags
propane, tank