Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #1

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Proud Owner Of a 2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065

Just got my new Windjammer back home from RVW - RVWholesalers in Ohio. We live in Rochester,NY. I have to say it was a beautiful trip, but real windy (cold front moving threw northeast). I have a 2010 F-150 w/5.4 (trailer-tow package) std.gears. I have to be honest i was real nervous on the way down to pick up the camper after reading some of the threads on F-150 pulling this trailer.
Guess what this trailer is loaded with all the extras (every-option) Dry-wieght turned in at 7200 lbs. I didn't have one bit of problem pulling this trailer .... 650+ miles from Ohio to home. I think the tow-vehicle police should lighten up ! You all have me scared before I started. This F-150 had no problems on hills.....heavy cross winds (eqaulizer-hitch) very little sway. The wife fell asleep many times and she's a nervous one in good weather. ( I think I fell asleep a few times(just kidding).). I could run 65-70 if I wanted. I settled for a safe 57-60 mph. No need to trade up to a F-250 or F-350 for this trailer.
Also the wife was a little scared too from reading threads on the new trailer buying experiance from Forest River. Seeemed to have many things wrong with them after delivery.
I dont know if happy customers are just keeping quiet or what, We checked this trailer over from top to bottom,side to side. We could only find 2- things wrong. Scratch on the stove cover (RVW replaced right on the spot with an out of the box new one). and they for got to put a trash can in the unit. FR mailing us one from the factory. Heat,Air all worked great. Everything in the coach all worked perfectly. The only thing left is Direct TV is coming to hook the Sat-up Tuesday.
We are going to seal the roof seams with the Eternabond tape, thanks to everyone's advise...it was waiting on the front portch when we got home tonight.
I'll put pictures up shortly !! So thanks again for every-one's advise.( on things to check) To the tow-vehicle police lighten-up !! oh buy the way Its a F-150 Super/Cab with 6-1/2' bed. -- David & Annamarie K.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new rig and glad to hear you had a good trip. As for the "tow vehicle police" we have all had to share the road with unsafe setups and seen the aftermath of tow vehicles that were inappropriate for the rig they were towing. Weight is not all created equal and a trailer is a huge sail going down the road for the wind to catch. I for one hope that the "tow vehicle police" on this forum NEVER lighten up as lives can be at stake.

Based on a wheelbase of 138.8" for your truck that equates to a maximum RV length of just under 28'. Your trailer is listed as 34' in length. As a good friend of ours just wrapped up her new trailer about 2 weeks ago and totaled it with a TV that was "rated" to pull the weight but not the length I can only tell you I hope you never get in her position with your setup (a passing semi's gust of wind is all it took).

Sure your truck does just fine i'm sure but I sure hope some idiot doesn't cut you off or pull out in front of you requireing you to take evasive action or you may be regreting your decision.

I for one am danged proud of our "tow vehicle police" here as if just one person heeds there advice it could save a life. Maybe even mine.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #3

I have dissagree with you on the new trailer got wrapped up becuase of TV not rated to pull length not wieght. Was this in Police report ? Our government sticks thier nose in everything and believe me if we have been having trailer wrecks because of un-rated length, we sure would have a law out by now. I would profess that your making people feel safer buy purchasing a bigger vehicle, and they are doing one thing....driving to fast !! We all have to remember first off you have a trailer attached by a hitch, weak link. We could all do everyone a favor and tell them to buy a Pro-Pride 3P or Hensley Arrow hitch to pull a travel trailer. Then tell every-one slow down !! All the people in the Threads that got bigger TV..all (well almost all) stated ,thier new TV wasnt straining to pull the trailer like the old one. Guess what ? next thing they are driving faster. Not one said it handle's better or stops better with a bigger TV. I did have someone cut me off by the way....and do you know what made the difference is my speed (58mph),posted speed was 65mph. Everyone, including other people pulling bigger trailers than mine, passing me like i was standing still. Slower speed more time to react. I lost count of the amount of semi's passing me, and they were flying too !! Plus the 30-40 MPH gusts of wind coming off lake Erie on Interstate 90.Thats all I have to say on that subject. You have your thoughts, I have mine !! Thats what makes this country great freedom of speech !! Everyone I am also gratefull to the TV police, they made me think upon the subject and I came up with different results, thats Ok if they save a life...I'll be the first to say Im all for that !! Slow down also !! Most of us have a loved one in the car with us!! Think of them too !!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

"All the people in the Threads that got bigger TV..all (well almost all) stated ,thier new TV wasnt straining to pull the trailer like the old one. Guess what ? next thing they are driving faster. Not one said it handle's better or stops better with a bigger TV"
============================================
Actually, a larger TV will handle better and stop better, as they have much more powerful brakes. The stiffer suspension in the bigger TVs is also a huge deal when you get into one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' situations. We were travelling across the open prairie a few years ago, my wife was driving. I was kindof half snoozing, noticed some whirling dust just off the road ahead, seemed to be moving towards the road. What it turned out to be was a huge dust-devil, a mini-tornado. It moved the whole rig over into the passing lane in an instant, luckily there was no one beside us. The truck never swayed, and my wife never turned the steering wheel a tenth of an inch, but we were in the other lane! I know for a fact that without the heavy TV, something very bad would likely have happened.
I know what you're saying about the heavy cross-winds, as we experienced that just last week bringing our new fifth home, but that is nothing compared to what can happen.
You are correct about keeping the speed down, as we do the same, and just why most are in a such a hurry is beyond me, it is called a "vacation" for a reason!
I share your enthusiasm about having a new camper, and hope you never experience the event that could ruin it. All the best of luck to you.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I have dissagree with you on the new trailer got wrapped up becuase of TV not rated to pull length not wieght.....

All the people in the Threads that got bigger TV..all (well almost all) stated ,thier new TV wasnt straining to pull the trailer like the old one. Guess what ? next thing they are driving faster. Not one said it handle's better or stops better with a bigger TV.
Congrats on the new tt and welcome to the FRF. It's good to hear you enjoyed your trip back home.

NWJeeper is a well respected member of FRF. He personaly knew the people in the accident. If he said it was caused by tv wheelbase to tt length ratio, well you can take that to the bank.

When I purchased my F-250 last October I stated very clearly in my posts the upgrade was for stability reasons. I have the same 5.4 V8 in my F-250 that was in my F-150. Some people believe it's a waste of money to get a small V8 in a ¾ ton, but I have plenty of power for what and where I tow and as stated in previous posts, now feel I can tow safely while experiencing wind, rain, sudden stops, etc...

It still amazes me how upset people seem to get when it's mentioned a tv might not be big enough and are less concerned when someone is close to or over the tv's limitations leaving little or no margin for error.

I agree with NWJeeper and if we are wrong, at least we are on the side of safety.
Think of the possible results if you are pushing the limits of your tv in one or more areas and you are wrong.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #6

grhodes50- I ment no disrespect, but you both know Federal Govn. requires that if the vehicle is rated to pull a wieght. Its has to have brakes and suspension to carry that wieght. I agree if your pulling a trailer that weighs 11000 Lbs. and your TV is rated at 11500, you all might want move up in TV. And a far as respect just because ones a senior member doesnt make one a expert or the one that did the police report. ( hard time beliving that what it said in report "TV not rated for length"). Before you make a statement like "he's a senior member here" repect him (I guess I do, (NWjeeper) never met him. Do you at all know my back ground or what I've done over a life time, just because I didnt belong to a forum makes know one better than another.So lets not get your feathers all ruffled. As I stated before everyone here had me worried that I didnt have enough truck for the job. Well to this point you were wrong. Could something happen yes, probability says no. They have accidents every day with Big TV and trailers. In certain events everyone is vaunrable. I just am pointing out one does just have to get the biggest,baddest truck on the market to pull a trailer. Enough said !! I love all you guys and question authority, for things may never get better if you dont !
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

First congrats on your purchase and glad you like your trailer, we have a 2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS which is the same as the Windjammer 3001W. I will say short of a few minor things like a propane detector that had a high pitch whistle(the dealer sent me a new one priority mail and I had it in 2 days), a couple scratches in the dining room table so they ordered me a new table and the last one I found on our 6000km trip was when we were watching the Toshiba 32`LCD TV and the ac come on the TV would shut off and then turn back on, cured this by tightening the screws that hold the AC wires in the CCT breakers and that has been the extent of problems we have had. So there are good units as well as bad same as the junk that the auto makers can produce on any given day, they all have bad days. But as to your comment about the tow-vehicle police, the people on here who make these comments have seen alot of bad situations occur over the years and their adive should not be taken lightly IMO. I had a situation a month ago towing in very heavy crosswinds and a semi came between us and the crosswind and I will tell you it threw our truck around like a wet noodle and our truck has a 160 inch wheelbase and weighs in at almost 7k running with 75lbs of air in the rears and 65 in the fronts and was only running at 55mph. There will come a time in your time with a TT that you will know what they are talking about and I for one am glad I had overkill and the governments are looking into laws and standards for tow vehicles as it is getting to the point of stupid the tow ratings they are giving half ton trucks running on P Metric tires inflated to 40 or 45 lbs when a real truck has Load Range E tires running 65 to 80 lbs to be safe towing the same load what do you see wrong with that picture. And I am not trying to be an *****, I have run both half and three quarter tons with both types of tires so been there done that. All that being said though enjoy you new unit and good luck.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

BigRed

Peace brother!
My intentions wern't meant to question your knowledge or judgements. Actually they wern't aimed at you at all. I was only trying to point out that NWJeeper is a long time FRF member that is well respected by most and since he had first hand knowledge of the accident and personaly knew the people involved, there is no reason or reasons to doubt his word.

As far as any tt or tv subject, you do have a right to your own opinion. I do too. I was only stating mine and the reasons why.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #9

Ok to all, Iwould really look foward to meeting you all. Yes you all are right and I do respect what you are saying! Im sure we've all been in a situation unexpectedly with our vehicles. Honestly if it were for this forum I'd be one of the ones flying down the road....65+ until something happened....then its too late. It really made me realize that runnin 55 to 60 is Ok and a hellava lot safer. So thanks to you all (grhodes50 & NWjeeper). Ive been on the road for 40+ years and it allways seemed we had a dead line to make. Never had a Bad accident, few off road excursions from the weather (Snow,ice and White outs and such) Im counted as a lucky one but Im always driving trying to not get myself in a bad situation with no out ! So with my rambiling said and bad grammer (spelling) lol.
We have enjoyed what little time we have spent in the camper and as TheSasks said I hope we got one of the good ones !! Speaking of had question about tralier tire pressure guages...any one have one are they worth it ( seem very expensive), yet cheaper than the tearing-up a blow out would cause(plus danger to every one on the road). Any thoughts ?? I'll have a few more questions Im sure so figure I might as well start !! Asking to the go to guys !! And any pro-active things (equipment I should have) Example: Iggy told me about Enterabond tapping the roof seams. Anything like that would be great !! Thanks again to everyone..hope no hard feelings !!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
camping

welcome to the forum! enjoy the new trailer, we have the flagstaff version. my friend we camp with just got some secutire tpms, they will only warn you if the tire goes below 28 psi. he has been camping/towing for decades and really likes the peace of mind this offers, he still checks the tires before each trip but says at least he will have some warning before the tire goes completely flat.. I am debating getting a set (on ebay for 25.00)

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

The good pressure warning systems even monitor temp, I had ordered them with our V-Lite but they never came so I am getting a set off Ebay over the winter as I think they should be included as std equip.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #12

Thanks for advise...checking e-baythis evening. I had ask about them when ordering my 3065 from RVW. They were offered as an option on all Forest River products at one time. RVW called FV, They (FR) said no one was buying them as an offered option. So as with everything that doesnt sale....they just go away! Then I start hearing about tire failures on the forum and talking to others picking up campers this weekend, that they are very comon and 3 of the 6 people at RVW, brought some with them. RVW was installing for them. Sooooooo i guess im going to look at Ebay.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #13

Was camped next to a 2011 Windjammer 3065 last weekend and now I feel like my 09 3001W was shorted !

Examples:

Pocket Insert around stairs
Bottom side panels extended all the way to frame
End panels at slide out openings
Corner trim on bottom of slide outs l
30 lb tanks vs. 20 lbs.
Scare light.
power stabilizers.
Courtesy light at stairs.

And this is just what I noticed on the outside.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #14

DCRC, We've had allot of people come up and ask us about our TT. The 3065 is a floor plan for some reason people overlooked ! We bought it sight unseen !! We love the floor plan and our 2-pugs love it too !!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Grape Escape

Congtrats on the new trailer Big Red. Agree with you 100%. If one drives within the limit even a little less(on my god you can do that) your TV is fine. These jokers that drive 65 plus MPH towing a 28'plus trailer are the ones that think bigger is better.
Considering you have to live with this vehicle when not towing I would rather it be a half ton if you can get away with it. I certainly would rather be using a 1/2 ton as a daily driver than my 3/4 ton if I could.
Here's another scenerio where an empty 3/4 ton drives like crap compaired to a 1/2 ton for daily driver without trailer in tow. I guarantee the 1/2 ton is a safer truck in every day driving.
Most of us cannot afford the luxury of both and there has to be compromise.
I have yet to see any vehicle manufacturer literature that lists trailer length in the towing specs.
Perhaps the weight police have manufacturers specs that the rest of us don't know about or some chart that was produced 30 yrs ago by some so called expert.
Notice in the movie Long Long Trailer staring Lucy and Desi and note of trailer length and TV.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #16

Congrats on your new Forest River product. You may have to get a new tow vehicle because you will need to carry a lot of tools and spare parts to keep it together. We have a 2011 Rockwood and we have things break or fall apart on a weekly basis, the latest thing is our kitchen slide. A weight bearing bracket was just lag bolted to the floor with no backer plate, the bolts pulled out. I am going to make a steel backer plate and I am going to use machine bolts to attach it to the floor (bolt thru floor and use backer plate on the under side.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
Infractee

As long as you are comfortable with it and feel safe and do not feel as if you are putting your family or anyone else at risk I say keep on truckin brutha!

I dare the weight police to plug these numbers into their outdated Tow vehicle wheelbase VS trailer length chart......
It is a tongue pull..... And what would you guestimate the TV wheelbase to be, 86"?? And the length of that trailer? I would say standard mobile home of 40' That half a home is taller, wider and longer than anything that anyone on any of these forums ever pulls.

yeah...does not compute, I know.

I had one of these babies blow by me one day on I-20 in Fort Worth, probably doing 75~80, the lead vehicle was behind him....

just sayin....

P.S. Almost forgot, CONGRATS BIG RED!! Nice camper!! Post more pics!! Who did you deal with at RVW? We got "stuck" with Trey.

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #18

We worked with Preston Rogan. We had a real good experience with everyone down at RV Wholesalers (Ohio). I could tell by your reply "we got stuck with Trey" something must have happened. So you got my attention, did you have a bad time with them? They were real nice through out the whole process. I was getting e-mails letting me know scheduling ( bld.time etc.). They answered all my questions and if they didnt have the answer, I had one by the next day. They even called and e-mailed me several times on the same day. I know thier phone call volume dropped after I picked up our Windjammer. What model Rockwood did you purchase ?? ***** on the TV thing, I know they were doing it account of safety, Thats why I drive slow (55-60) & even slower when its raining. Im in no hurry!! If I was, Im leaving the TT home!!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Infractee

Thumbs up

HAHA! I am sorry BigRed, I did not mean it in that way, we got stuck as in he was the first one to answer price quotes. Trey has been great to deal with, very helpful and informative, he has put up with a lot of questions by me and even a little abuse.....

Congrats again on your purchase, I hope it works out great!
I am jealous of everybody that gets to go pick their new unit up, would like to have done it but it would have cost me about the same as the delivery so might as well let somebody else put those miles on their truck.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #20

The only place that one would really get into trouble with a 1/2 ton is in the mountains, where you can get an 8% grade for 5 miles. You could still make it, but it would be hard on the nerves, both up and down.
The newer trucks with 4-wheel disc brakes are a lot better than the older ones without.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood