Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Pur Water Filter in the 8316 vs. 4 screws

I have a 2010 Rockwood 8316ss. I absolutely love this TT. We upgrading at the beginning of this year from a 1988 Sunline. When we picked up the TT I was instructed to put a filter into the water filter's canister which is in a small cabinet under the pantry.

I put the wrench on, visibly check the threads to ensure it's not reverse threaded and then twist. It's on gorilla tight... not a good sign. I used my other hand to hold the top as still as possible, but still managed to torque the whole assembly off the wall instead of opening the container. In the process pulling both of the screws that held the filter canister right out of the thin strip of pine it's mounted to.

I brought it back to the dealership, explained the situation and asked that they 'fix' it. I probably should have been more specific. They put it back up with 4 screws this time and left the canister loose for me. Camping season went well until yesterday when I went to winterize it. I opened the cabinet, placed the wrench on the canister and turned. The bracket twisted and started to pull the screws out again.

Change of plans. I disconnected the water lines from it, unscrewed it and pulled the whole assembly out. After pouring the water out, I attempted to unscrew it using by slipping the top into a padded vise. Even then it took a good deal of muscle to open it.

I'm in the process of building a more substantial bracket that won't twist, but this is crazy. I don't want to have to go through this every time I change a filter or winterize the TT.

Do you have the same issues with your filter canister or do I have one thats a bit off?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Yep. Everytime I have had trouble getting the canister body off, I hit my head. (DOH!)

The reason is that, everytime, I had forgotten to get all pressure off the system.

Before trying to remove the canister you MUST...
Remove the outside hose
Turn off the 12 volt pump
and
Open a cold water faucet in the camper to relieve the pressure
Close it (or there will be a lot of water coming off with the filter body)

Spins right off easily everytime.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yep. Everytime I have had trouble getting the canister body off, I hit my head. (DOH!)

The reason is that, everytime, I had forgotten to get all pressure off the system.

Before trying to remove the canister you MUST...
Remove the outside hose
Turn off the 12 volt pump
and
Open a cold water faucet in the camper to relieve the pressure
Close it (or there will be a lot of water coming off with the filter body)

Spins right off easily everytime.
Thanks Herk, I printed out your instructions, laminated the paper and placed it near the filter so I will always have it when I need them...

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

I have not had problem removing the filter. But when I went to drain it before my trip to Korea in October, I found the 4 screws that hold it to the mount bracked were stripped and it was hanging by the hoses. I have to engineer a fix before our trip to the Texas coast next week. Ain't it fun.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Besides letting the pressure off like Lou said, there is another thing to consider. In most campers, you are looking down at the canister. Instead of turning the wrench counter clockwise like you would normally do, you actually need to turn the wrench clockwise, since you are looking at the opposite side of the unit.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

I was in the midst of winterizing. I had not only opened all the faucets but had already disconnected the In and Out hoses to the filter body.

I had to remove the whole filter body, turn it upside down in my padded vise and it still took a bunch of muscle to open.

I fixed the flimsy bracket issue by fabricating a new one out of some 1 inch angle iron and some scrap steel I welded into a platform. Drill out the mount holes and better than stock. At least I won't rip the filter off the wall next time I try to change it.

As for how tight it was... I thought I saw a bit of the O-ring in the threads... I guess I'll grab a new one when I order the new filter. We'll see next season.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgargiullo View Post
As for how tight it was... I thought I saw a bit of the O-ring in the threads... I guess I'll grab a new one when I order the new filter. We'll see next season.
I always add a little bit of vaseline to lubricate the o-ring. It never comes into contact with the water, but if someone is more squeamish than I, then there are totally non-toxic lubricants available made for kitchen products. But the point is that a dry o-ring may cause the "hard-to-open" issue described above.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #8

I had one of those filter housings in my 2009 8317SS when I took delivery. No filter? Does anyone know what the filter is?. I just used an inline filter in my incoming water line but I would like to use the filter that came with the trailer. I went back to the selling dealer but he went out of business. Appreiciate any help.
Braidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

It is not just RV's that these filter housings stick. I have a whole house unit as a prefilter to our conditioning units and it is a bear to get off as well. I make sure the pump is off then open a tap in the RV and then let some water out of the low point drains prior to removing the housing. You can pick up straight 5 micron filter cartridges at Walmart for 5 or 6 bux if memory serves me. I am not sure where to get the carbon type that they come from the factory with.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Site Team

You should not use Vaseline to lube the o-ring. You need silicon pool lube or 100% silicon food grade lube. Most pool stores carry it in a small tube if you can't find it elsewhere.

Those housings should not have to be tightened to seal. Once the o-ring is on the sealing surface it should seal. Tightening them more is just making it harder on you getting it off.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I agree. Hand tight "ON" has never leaked even under full pressure.

As long as I remove pressure from the system, the canister has just spun off with minimal effort with the plastic removal tool.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgargiullo View Post
I have a 2010 Rockwood 8316ss. I absolutely love this TT.
Nice! Just bought this model as well, the whole family loves it, especially my 6'6" tall son.
I loved it even more after I modded the bed to make it longer for me (6'5") and added a 3" memory foam topper to the mattress!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #13

Our trailer came with a filter.

I'm the 3rd to agree about hand tightening.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #14

Which filter came with your trailer from the dealer. Our cannister was empty and the dealer went out of business.
Braidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #15

It's buried in snow right now, but I'll check once I can get to it.

I think my might be defective. I hand tightened mine, but it leaked badly... I'm going to replace the O-ring in the spring and try again.

Tags
8316, pur, rockwood, water filter