Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Quality Control

We purchased a new 2018 8328BS this past June, after selling our 2011 8317RKSS. We have nothing but good things to say about the 2011, no problems whatsoever, we purchased it new, excellent workmanship and quality. I wish we could say the same with the 2018, the propane side of the water heater stopped working the second time we took the camper out, the material on the sofa sleeper is separating where it was sewn, we have only camped in it five times so far this year. I understand that these things happen, but the thing that bothers me is that there is a wall plug behind the theater seating that doesn't work,(This camper listed at $49,874) I made an appointment and dropped it off at the dealer the other day which is about 100 miles from home to have these fixed. They said to wait and they would see what they could fix today, and order the parts for what they would need to repair the sofa. After three hours the service person told me that they would have to order a new board for the water heater (not in stock), pictures were taken of the sofa (they have had several of these sofas with the same problem), and I was told that the reason that the outlet behind the theater seating didn't work, (THE WALL PLUG WAS ATTACHED TO THE WALL AND NO WIRE WAS EVER RAN FROM THE FUSE BOX TO THE WALL PLUG) The dealer had never seen this problem before and would have to call the factory to find out how to repair this or even if it could be repaired, something about work not done at the factory during construction and the warranty. The dealer said they would call at the end of the week with a answer. The water heater and the sofa are a supplier problem, but the not wired wall plug are a manufacture problem, definitely a Quality Control Issue!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
We purchased a new 2018 8328BS this past June, after selling our 2011 8317RKSS. We have nothing but good things to say about the 2011, no problems whatsoever, we purchased it new, excellent workmanship and quality. I wish we could say the same with the 2018, the propane side of the water heater stopped working the second time we took the camper out, the material on the sofa sleeper is separating where it was sewn, we have only camped in it five times so far this year. I understand that these things happen, but the thing that bothers me is that there is a wall plug behind the theater seating that doesn't work,(This camper listed at $49,874) I made an appointment and dropped it off at the dealer the other day which is about 100 miles from home to have these fixed. They said to wait and they would see what they could fix today, and order the parts for what they would need to repair the sofa. After three hours the service person told me that they would have to order a new board for the water heater (not in stock), pictures were taken of the sofa (they have had several of these sofas with the same problem), and I was told that the reason that the outlet behind the theater seating didn't work, (THE WALL PLUG WAS ATTACHED TO THE WALL AND NO WIRE WAS EVER RAN FROM THE FUSE BOX TO THE WALL PLUG) The dealer had never seen this problem before and would have to call the factory to find out how to repair this or even if it could be repaired, something about work not done at the factory during construction and the warranty. The dealer said they would call at the end of the week with a answer. The water heater and the sofa are a supplier problem, but the not wired wall plug are a manufacture problem, definitely a Quality Control Issue!

Sorry to hear about your issues. We have the same TT as you that we also took delivery in June this year. We're currently on our 7th camping trip (Myrtle Beach pending Irma [emoji30]) and have had only one WH issue that was quickly resolved by me with the dealer providing the part. The LP side operating thermostat was stuck in the closed position causing the water to heat to the point where the HI-LIMIT thermostat would trip. The dealer provided the part to me and I installed it myself in 5 minutes and problem solved.

So far, the sofa stitching is OK, the outlet behind the theater seating works (I installed a power strip using that outlet in order to provide outlets under the dinette) and the WH works OK in both modes.

After working in Nuclear Power Quality Assurance for nearly 35 years before retiring 2 years ago, it irritates me when I hear about or experience quality issues like this.

I hope all of you issues are resolved quickly.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Update, issues with the Rockwood have been resolved, the factory ended up replacing the sofa sleeper with a new one. We are very pleased with the outcome.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
Update, issues with the Rockwood have been resolved, the factory ended up replacing the sofa sleeper with a new one. We are very pleased with the outcome.
How did the outlet get fixed?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Forest River sent a wiring kit from the factory.

Tags
quality