Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #1

Reaching ventilation fan controls

Has anyone put the fan controls on the wall so they can be reached? Due to health issue it's impossible for me to reach the fan controls with out using a stick modified to turn on controls, but still hard to do. Any suggestions
TT is 2511s Rockwood minilite

Del

2020 Rockwood Minilite 2511S
2012 F 150 Ecoboost
delseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team

There are a few threads here where people have done that.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Totally controlled by remote. No reaching at all.

https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...t-7350-_-21018

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delseb View Post
Has anyone put the fan controls on the wall so they can be reached? Due to health issue it's impossible for me to reach the fan controls with out using a stick modified to turn on controls, but still hard to do. Any suggestions
I upgraded to Fan-Tastic Vent RV Roof Vent 7350 with Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Breeze Vent Covers.

I have two. One in the bedroom and the other in the front. With the covers they can be open in the rain. Expensive but worth it. My wife is 5'2" and can not reach the fans. I installed a string pull switch for the bathroom fan.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

I rewired the fan by tapping the hot from a near by light. So now when i turn the light on fan goes on. This was done in the bathroom.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #6

I should add the fan is a Maxxair model

Del

2020 Rockwood Minilite 2511S
2012 F 150 Ecoboost
delseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
I rewired the fan by tapping the hot from a near by light. So now when i turn the light on fan goes on. This was done in the bathroom.
How about when it is raining?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

Backfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
That might backfire on you. For that moment of time while you flush and hold the bowl drain open, you will be sucking black-tank fumes into the trailer. Are you sure you want to do that?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I always install a vent cover so I can open the vents any time. I never close the bathroom vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
That might backfire on you. For that moment of time while you flush and hold the bowl drain open, you will be sucking black-tank fumes into the trailer. Are you sure you want to do that?
No more than the bathroom fan at your house. You just need to make sure a window or another vent is open to replace the air going out the fan vent. I can reverse the airflow on one of the other Fantastic fans.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delseb View Post
I did that very thing. My setup has its limitations though. I have a multi speed reversible fan. I can turn it on or off from a wall switch but if I want to change the speed I still have to get up to the fan to change it.

We really do not find this a problem because we only use the fan to exhaust and freshen the bathroom air after using the toilet. Set the fan on high and turn it on and off at the wall.

The biggest issue was getting the wire fished through the ceiling, down the wall and up to the switch location. I was able to remove our medicine cabinet which is recessed into the wall.

Then I could fish the wire over to the fan location, down inside the wall to behind the medicine cabinet and to an area behind the vanity. From there it comes into the rear top of the vanity over around to just below the switch location, then into the wall again and out the switch opening.

Any switch will do, a residential style or camper style whatever you like best and can get the easiest.

Im sure several on here have the expertise to move the multi speed switch too. I had no desire to get that involved in this project. A simple functional on/off switch suits us just fine, after all we used to ave a single speed fan and it was OK, just noisy!
Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I always install a vent cover so I can open the vents any time. I never close the bathroom vent.

No more than the bathroom fan at your house. You just need to make sure a window or another vent is open to replace the air going out the fan vent. I can reverse the airflow on one of the other Fantastic fans.
This is the type of switch I installed on the bathroom fan.

Fan-Light Switch & Pull Chain
Old 08-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
I have a vent cover that prevents the rain from.coming in.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
For the 2 seconds its open i doubt i will notice the smell. Havent thus far.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #14

Quote:
We always hold the lever down for a good bit to let plenty of water into the black tank to prevent the pile up.

we have yet to find the smell pulled into the bathroom by the fan, but then we also have a large gap at the bottom of he bathroom door.

Air flow easier fro under door than down vent tube into tank and up from tank I guess. In any event it is not a problem for us.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #15

Quote:
We have a vent cover that allows it to stay open all the time and rain cannot get in.

We had a Camco cover but it was brittle and broke when I had to remove it for room maintenance/ Replaced it with a MaxxAir cover.

4 years ago the Camco was 1/2 the price of the MaxxAir today virtually the same so I bought he MaxxAir.

Tags
fan, vent