Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #21

Two options....smaller TT or bigger truck. No-go with the combo you have right now. The TT is heavy and the truck...no offense...a light weight.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #22

I tow a much lighter camper with 3.23 gears. Not the best experience one could have. Jay.
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #23

Tongue Weight

We have the Flagstaff version of the 2706. Here is a pic of the tongue with two 6 Volts and the WDH and the second pic is the tongue weight, fully loaded, and connected to the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_121954 resize.png
Views:	109
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	214861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tongue Weight 20190517 resize.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	214862  
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #24

Alright so I have a 2018 2706ws and I decided to get a measurement of my tongue weight so I knew where I was at. Disclaimer I used the DIY method posted by etrailer.com so don’t take these weights as an exact weight but they should be pretty close. So when set up on the scale it read 231lb, I multiplied that by 5 because of the 5ft distance I used between measuring points. If you are unsure of what that means etrailer.com has a diagram to explain it.
That gave me a total of 1155lbs. That is with two six volt batteries at 59lbs a piece and two full 7lb propane tanks at 54lbs a piece. Now dry tongue weight posted for my trailer is 844lbs, not sure if the manufacturer includes propane and batteries on this weight, if anyone knows please let me know. I measured with empty holding tanks, (I have the one grey and the fresh tank in front of the axles), in my front storage is the usual, camping chairs, hoses, wheel chocks and a foldable table, I didn’t weight all those item but probably close to 150lbs, the front bedroom was empty except for bedding. Hope this gives you guys a closer figure on how much tongue weight goes up and quick when you start adding clothes and fresh water to your trailer. I know I was surprised that my tongue weight was that high.
S Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #25

Understand you had one (1) foot distance on the right side and five (5) feet on the left? (The example shows "2 or 3."

That's a lot of weight!

-- Chuck
Old 09-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Spackler View Post
That gave me a total of 1155lbs. That is with two six volt batteries at 59lbs a piece and two full 7lb propane tanks at 54lbs a piece. Now dry tongue weight posted for my trailer is 844lbs, not sure if the manufacturer includes propane and batteries on this weight, if anyone knows please let me know. I know I was surprised that my tongue weight was that high.
Manufacturers "dry" tongue weight only includes the weight of full propane tanks, since around 2009. Before that, only empty propane tank weight was included. Battery weight is never included because they are a DEALER-installed item on towables.

Remember that fantasy dry weights are for a stripped-down version of the trailer. Doesn't include the weights of batteries, options(including "forced" options), dealer add-ons, water or cargo.
So actual loaded tongue weights are almost always way higher than the fantasy dry weight number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Understand you had one (1) foot distance on the right side and five (5) feet on the left? (The example shows "2 or 3."

That's a lot of weight!

-- Chuck
The diagram says 2-3ft I went with 4ft distance between tongue and scale with a total of 5ft between weigh points because my scale only went up to 350 and I was worried it would max out the scale using the 3ft measurement, from what I understand for every foot in between weigh points is what you multiple by. But yeah it is a lot of weight.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Manufacturers "dry" tongue weight only includes the weight of full propane tanks, since around 2009. Before that, only empty propane tank weight was included. Battery weight is never included because they are a DEALER-installed item on towables.

Remember that fantasy dry weights are for a stripped-down version of the trailer. Doesn't include the weights of batteries, options(including "forced" options), dealer add-ons, water or cargo.
So actual loaded tongue weights are almost always way higher than the fantasy dry weight number.
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t sure what the manufacturer included in tongue weight, kinda of weird they at least don’t include a 12v battery since that seems like a basic necessity.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Spackler View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn’t sure what the manufacturer included in tongue weight, kinda of weird they at least don’t include a 12v battery since that seems like a basic necessity.
Problem is that there is no standard weight for a 12v battery.
Which group size, which manufacturer, dual purpose marine or true deep cycle, wet cell or AGM or LiFepo?
All these will cause various weight amounts.
But propane weight is a standard number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #30

Quote:
The diagram says 2-3ft I went with 4ft distance between tongue and scale with a total of 5ft between weigh points
The weight is the ratio between the two legs.

If you have four (4) feet on one side and one (1) foot on the other side the factor is 4x, not 5x so your tongue weight is only 80% of what you posted which is a more reasonable weight but still over 900 pounds.

-- Chuck

Tags
tongue weight, weight