Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
Camping the Natural State

rear camper camera

What cameras are commonly installed in the bracket included on the rear of the Rockwood ? I am alone a lot of the time and tired of getting out to look behind to see how close I am. Thanks !
Old 02-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

the camper probably came prewired for the furrion backup camera. it is just plug and play. they seem to be on the costly side and some people don't like em - i find it good enough but we did have to replace it once as it fogged up (common issue). the camera is powered by the running lights, so i turn always those on when i tow (ie turn on my tow vehicles headlight) and the camera is always on when towing.

there are some other camera's that have an adapter for the furrion fitting - i am sure someone will come along with that supplier.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
Camping the Natural State

I found one on amazon that is simple to mount and wire in and is wireless and a 7” screen and pairs quickly and it is high rated.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I pulled off the sharkfin for Furrion, and replaced it with a Haloview adaptor bracket. Very pleased with my Haloview 7" observation cam. I use it more for lane changes than anything else. For backing up I still use the tried and true method of miscommunication with wife that ends in screaming.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Befuddled wanderer

I had the basic Furrion unit installed on by the dealer when I purchased my Rockwood, mostly because it was easy to just have them do it. I have a 36' fifth wheel and while travelling down the highway the signal breaks up often enough that it's a bit annoying, but I can still usually tell what's going on back there. When backing in to campsites the signal works fine, but I still haven't really got used to the wide angle view. It shows a lot of the area behind the camper as intended, but I struggle to figure out just how close I am to things ("Objects in camera may be closer than they appear."). I don't really think the picture is all that great, but I haven't had the opportunity to view other options, so I have no idea how it really compares to other cameras.

I got the camera because I thought we would be camping in multiple different places each year, much as we had for many years, but we ended up signing up for a seasonal lot last summer and discovered we like it. That means I now use the camera once when going to my seasonal and once when bringing it home and putting it in my barn. Oh well, can't return it now, so I may as well get what use out of it I can.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think even the Furrion should be able to be set to put up the colored 'ladder' image on the monitor, to give you better sense of distance. Might be in your menu settings?
Old 02-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I think even the Furrion should be able to be set to put up the colored 'ladder' image on the monitor, to give you better sense of distance. Might be in your menu settings?
I do have some indicator markings on the monitor and when I concentrate on what I'm seeing, it's all good. The problem is that I'm typically not just staring at that monitor while backing up. I look at the side mirrors on my truck, look back over my shoulder, look at the monitor, etc. Looking at the monitor quickly is like putting on someone else's glasses that have a strong prescription - it's just hard for my brain to instantly identify just what I'm seeing.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

Old 02-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Curious what size monitor you have. I have the 7", my 55 year old eyes not what they used to be, so bigger is better. I'm like you, mostly use side mirrors, but a glance at monitor too is a good feeling that i'm not about to crash.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Befuddled wanderer

I believe I just have the 5" monitor, which may be part of the problem. I kick myself just a bit for not being a bit more picky about which system I had installed, but now that we are doing seasonal camping it's just not enough of a problem to get too worked up about. I'm hoping to travel a lot more when I retire and will certainly put a lot more effort into getting a good camera system at that point (along with a different RV).

Old 02-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #10

I purchased the Haloview MC10 camera system and highly recommend it. The monitor mounts over your rear view mirror, where you normally look to see what's going on behind you. I love that feature! It came with everything I needed to mount it on the Furrion mount screw holes. Very easy to mount- except for the small screws they all use. Small screws and big fingers don't work well. LOL! The RC-10 kit uses the same monitor, and comes with a repeater for longer units . The have different models and screens. Check them out. I find that the picture quality is good and it has a very short lag time.
2009 Honda Odyssey
Multiple tents and an early 90's pop-up.
Bourbonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Very easy to mount- except for the small screws they all use. Small screws and big fingers don't work well.
I forget who gave me this tip offhand, but DEFINITELY ATTACH CAMERA TO HALOVIEW BRACKET BEFORE FASTENING BRACKET TO TRAILER!!! Would have been a bit of a pain to do it on a ladder in reverse order.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #12

Attach the camera to the Haloview bracket first. Wow! Why didn't I think of that! Yes, it would have been easier. Thanks for the information . Hope this will help someone else.

I love this group. Everyone is so helpful and I have learned a lot . Thanks to everyone!
2009 Honda Odyssey
Multiple tents and an early 90's pop-up.
Bourbonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think it may have been Cincygus I can thank for that one. If it was somebody else, my apologies.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I pulled off the sharkfin for Furrion, and replaced it with a Haloview adaptor bracket. Very pleased with my Haloview 7" observation cam. I use it more for lane changes than anything else. For backing up I still use the tried and true method of miscommunication with wife that ends in screaming.

You and I have the exact same camera configuration, and the exact same wife configuration!

Love them both!

Ray
Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #15

I also have the Haloview, works great. There is a microphone on the camera. I am sure glade it is not two way!!!
Bird man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #16

We recently ordered the Haloview system for our TT. But, as a retired engineer my mind tends to wander. This caused me to think why wouldn’t GoPro (who’s sales are down) not come up with a way to “snap in/out” a camera to the rear of an RV (who’s sales are up). Just seems like a missed opportunity.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #17
Retired Army MSG!

I just purchased a new 5vr prepped for Furrion camera. I found this online and have purchased and installed. I have not towed the 5vr with camera in place but I am very pleased with the clarity and it came with 7 inch monitor. They supply brackets that adapt to your Furrion prep. Also if you decide to order, look for coupons on their site. I wound up paying $265.00 for this unit. https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #18

I just bought a Tadi Bros as well. Can them to order. I got upgraded to 1080p for free plus 10% off. I added p as rking lines and audio. It ended up being about $40 more than the comparable Haloview.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #19

Voyager WVos511

A few years back I purchased a Voyager Digital Wireless System from Camper World. it wasn't cheap, but i thought being able to see behind my travel trailer was more important. I was very disappointed from day one. not only was the clarity was less than 480 p the picture would constantly cut out. What was most disturbing was the camera seem to lag in real time. for the money i spent for this unit, It was a bad investment. I would like to think with all the New Technology available a simple wireless camera would be readily available.
I will be taking ownership of a Rockwood 2104s TT with a camera ready mount for the Furrion system. With the bad reviews i might just save my money and hope for the Best.
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
A few years back I purchased a Voyager Digital Wireless System from Camper World. it wasn't cheap, but i thought being able to see behind my travel trailer was more important. I was very disappointed from day one. not only was the clarity was less than 480 p the picture would constantly cut out. What was most disturbing was the camera seem to lag in real time. for the money i spent for this unit, It was a bad investment. I would like to think with all the New Technology available a simple wireless camera would be readily available.
I will be taking ownership of a Rockwood 2104s TT with a camera ready mount for the Furrion system. With the bad reviews i might just save my money and hope for the Best.
You could look at the others people have mentioned here rather than the Furrion. For about $300 you can get one with good reviews that fits on the Furrion mount.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, camper