Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 09:44 PM   #41

Separate chargers allows me to keep both batteries topped-off without having to use one charger for both.

These are expensive. I plan to keep them in the garage when not out in the TT.

If one charger craps out, I still have a spare. Chargers included in the purchase price is a nice incentive for my first set of lithiums.

Yes the 15TB is solar equipped as are all Geo Pro's. I'm suggesting this may be a good setup on the 15TB. Enough solar combined with high capacity lithium batteries, I feel confident we can boondock for several days without worry.
BucknB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
thank you for the reocmmendation. but the review are not so good.
Just bought 3 battle born batters. I called there shop and talked with a sales person. He told me the price was $900.00 and that he would discount them an other $50.00 so $850.00 each. Got one today hope the next two are tomorrow.

Go to there web page get the phone number and see if you can work something out with them

Hope this helps. Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I hope your battery charger has a setup to charge lifepo4 batteries, as the charge voltage are different. So there is no true drop in lifepo4 batteries. If you charge from your vehicle's alternator then you need to add a DC to dc charge converter to get the right charge voltage and limits the current so it doesn't burn up your alternator.
Yes, you are correct I described it as a 12v drop in per the Amazon description of the battery type. I have updated my original WCO power center to a General Dynamics lithium capable, and also installed the Renogy 20 amp DC/DC charger for alternator charging. I “dropped it in” my tongue mounted battery case and wrapped it with a 12v thermostatically controlled water tank heater for cold weather charging. Also installed a switchable temp sensor in the battery case and wired it to power input of the Renogy to prevent charging below 40 degrees while driving. Did not figured out how to prevent charging below 40 from my power center but it needs A/C input for D/C charging so I can handle that manually. Covid project completed for less than the cost of a US distributed China battery.
RVasylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
Check him out on YouTube. He has reviewed many different manufacturers batteries and gives excellent information for you to make an intelligent choice. Don't fall into the BattleBorn group before looking at other extremely reliable manufacturers. Just because it costs the most doesn't make it the best.
I agree for the most part, but don't forget that BB is the LL Bean of batteries. They are basically guaranteed for 10 years by a company that will be around in 10 years and will answer their phone when you call them. The couple 2-300 dollars that you pay basically provides this service.

As per updating your converter, as has been pointed out before, it isn't really necessary to upgrade your converter. The older LA converters will charge LI batteries up to 80 percent, and a solar panel will do the rest.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #45

SOK is already out of stock. Next restocking is June. How much are the Lions when they are available at Costco?
KevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #46

Another thing I like about the Battleborn is that they are UL certified (which Will Prowse says adds to their cost).

A concern I have is the charging from my TV to the trailer, or the opposite direction happening. I think the easiest way is to remove the relay in my case (Tundra) to the trailer 7 way to stop this. Yes I would no longer be charging while traveling, but it would stop any issues.

Issues are vehicle alternator damage or lithium battery back-feeding to TV and losing charge capacity while driving as the lithium has higher voltage than the TV batt.

I haven't purchased a Lithium battery yet, but still researching the charging issues and my RV is still in storage too.
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
Another thing I like about the Battleborn is that they are UL certified (which Will Prowse says adds to their cost).

A concern I have is the charging from my TV to the trailer, or the opposite direction happening. I think the easiest way is to remove the relay in my case (Tundra) to the trailer 7 way to stop this. Yes I would no longer be charging while traveling, but it would stop any issues.

Issues are vehicle alternator damage or lithium battery back-feeding to TV and losing charge capacity while driving as the lithium has higher voltage than the TV batt.

I haven't purchased a Lithium battery yet, but still researching the charging issues and my RV is still in storage too.
A simple solution that will allow charging as well as prevent "reverse flow" is to add a DC-DC Charger to your system.

A small unit like the Renogy DCC 1212 - 20 is relatively inexpensive and at only 20 amp draw is well within the capabilities of existing factory tow vehicle wiring which is normally fused for 30 amp.

It will boost voltage from the TV to high enough voltage to top balance the LiFePo4 batteries and when engine is off, will prevent any reverse flow when the higher voltage LiFePo4 batteries try to charge the TV battery.

Whenever ignition is off and TV is not charging the batteries nothing flows back. This also isolates the converter charging fro trying to charge TV battery if the 7-pin connector is left plugged in at the same time you are plugged into shore power.

The Renogy unit is about half the cost of the cheapest other alternatives.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A simple solution that will allow charging as well as prevent "reverse flow" is to add a DC-DC Charger to your system.

A small unit like the Renogy DCC 1212 - 20 is relatively inexpensive and at only 20 amp draw is well within the capabilities of existing factory tow vehicle wiring which is normally fused for 30 amp.

It will boost voltage from the TV to high enough voltage to top balance the LiFePo4 batteries and when engine is off, will prevent any reverse flow when the higher voltage LiFePo4 batteries try to charge the TV battery.

Whenever ignition is off and TV is not charging the batteries nothing flows back. This also isolates the converter charging fro trying to charge TV battery if the 7-pin connector is left plugged in at the same time you are plugged into shore power.

The Renogy unit is about half the cost of the cheapest other alternatives.
I had seen those, didn't know they made one for low amp draws. As most solutions required running heavier gauge wire from the TV batt to the tongue which I don't want to do as I don't need the "charging while driving".
With the Renogy unit though I assume you are recommending mounting it (sealed from elements) on the RV where the 7-way hits the trailer junction/connection box? Basically intercepting the 12v "feed" wire and the Renogy would give me the protection I need, well my TV needs
I was also looking at just installing something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-690.html which is normally used to protect a vehicle being towed, but this could still demand more volts than my TV alternator provides.
I do like your Renogy unit though and will add it to the Lithium upgrade list - Thanks!
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucknB2 View Post
Separate chargers allows me to keep both batteries topped-off without having to use one charger for both.

These are expensive. I plan to keep them in the garage when not out in the TT.

If one charger craps out, I still have a spare. Chargers included in the purchase price is a nice incentive for my first set of lithiums.

Yes the 15TB is solar equipped as are all Geo Pro's. I'm suggesting this may be a good setup on the 15TB. Enough solar combined with high capacity lithium batteries, I feel confident we can boondock for several days without worry.
Some manufacturers recommend storage at less than 100% SOC. If not already doing so, consider storing at <=80% and charging fully only when you plan to use it.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
... As per updating your converter, as has been pointed out before, it isn't really necessary to upgrade your converter. The older LA converters will charge LI batteries up to 80 percent, and a solar panel will do the rest.
Assuming they have a solar panel.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
I had seen those, didn't know they made one for low amp draws. As most solutions required running heavier gauge wire from the TV batt to the tongue which I don't want to do as I don't need the "charging while driving".
With the Renogy unit though I assume you are recommending mounting it (sealed from elements) on the RV where the 7-way hits the trailer junction/connection box? Basically intercepting the 12v "feed" wire and the Renogy would give me the protection I need, well my TV needs
I was also looking at just installing something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-690.html which is normally used to protect a vehicle being towed, but this could still demand more volts than my TV alternator provides.
I do like your Renogy unit though and will add it to the Lithium upgrade list - Thanks!
The 20 amp renogy unit will function just fine on the existing wiring. I initially installed mine using only OEM wiring and it worked just fine although max charge current was reduced noticeably. For max performance I had to increase the wire size but for what you describe it would work OK. It's not just a charger but also an isolator.

As for charging while driving, may not be required but it sure is nice to arrive at a stop or campsite with FULL batteries. Ditto for when arriving back at home. If storing with no shore power available the batteries are ready for a long nap.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Some manufacturers recommend storage at less than 100% SOC. If not already doing so, consider storing at <=80% and charging fully only when you plan to use it.
Battleborn suggests fully charging before storing and then just disconnecting. Even LiFePo4 batteries have a self discharge rate, although a fraction of L/A, so the batteries are never really stored at 100%. From info I received from BB, normal self discharge will take them to around 50% in approximately 6 months. Rate varies by temp.

For those who only use their RV during summer months this is perfect for them. Charge, store, charge when taking out of storage and just use/charge as necessary all camping season long.

Not something to obsess over.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #53

Brought 2 x SOK when it came online. Can't wait to get it and install it. I was going to go with Lion but couldn't wait for their costco sale. so the next thing is SOK. i heard good thing about it. BattleBorn is the beast, but consider the price.

thank you
Old 04-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbridek View Post
Another option that would be lower cost - I installed a single 125AH lithium battery, Ionic battery, in my E Pro 19FD and added a second solar 100W panel. We very seldom have shore power when travelling / camping and I have never been lower than 80% on charge. On full sun battery is back to 100% before noon, partial sun by mid-afternoon. A second panel is an easy add, as it does not require changing the controller, simply using y connectors - all on the roof, no change inside the trailer. I did a post on the parts and panel I used. Also the battery has blue tooth monitor build in, works excellent and avoids needed a battery monitor.
Also, I have yet to be in a situation where we had 3 days + of overcast sky/rain, so not sure how many days we would last with total sun blockage... That is the only case where two 100 ah batteries would be better... I can't imagine having 4 days of rain...
That's a great idea...a 2nd panel instead of a second 100Ah of a $800 battery.
marcopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopollo View Post
That's a great idea...a 2nd panel instead of a second 100Ah of a $800 battery.
That'll work as long as you have REGULAR sunny days.

BTW, if you are ever planning on using a microwave powered by a 2Kw Inverter, two batteries might be mandatory. Most microwaves draw around 1.3 Kw which will translate to around 125 amp into the Inverter. This is a current draw of 1.25 C and most LiFePo4 battery mfr's recommend a max continuous discharge rate of only 1 C.

It's one of those things you might get away with ------ until you can't.

Something to consider if you are running an inverter large enough to power a microwave, or if one is potentially in your future.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That'll work as long as you have REGULAR sunny days.

BTW, if you are ever planning on using a microwave powered by a 2Kw Inverter, two batteries might be mandatory. Most microwaves draw around 1.3 Kw which will translate to around 125 amp into the Inverter. This is a current draw of 1.25 C and most LiFePo4 battery mfr's recommend a max continuous discharge rate of only 1 C.

It's one of those things you might get away with ------ until you can't.

Something to consider if you are running an inverter large enough to power a microwave, or if one is potentially in your future.
Yes...I figured it would work until it doesn't and then I could always get a second LiFePO4 and I end up with 200W of solar...not a bad thing.
marcopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #57

My LifeBlue lifepo4 battery calls for storage around 50% SOC. Most lifepo4 batteries that I have seen call for 50-60% SOC in storage.

Also, the most optimum charging profile for long life for lifepo4 is between 25-75% SOC. They say if you follow those limits, the battery will outlive you.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #58

I purchased this one, it's already 206 Amp and it fits in a group 24 battery case (everything you want without the excess markup)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MF3C9DF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_FDGVKAFARXJ4VT26WRPV
gfnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfnin View Post
I purchased this one, it's already 206 Amp and it fits in a group 24 battery case (everything you want without the excess markup)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MF3C9DF...FARXJ4VT26WRPV
Looks like a nice battery. Are you placing it inside the RV. I know from experience that the outside plastic cases aren't waterproof.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:18 PM   #60

I just bought 2 Battle Born $850 each, that is with the Escapee Club discount.
jvongray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries