Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
reese revolution hitch

would like some advise on what fifth wheel hitch is good for the new rockwoods with the reese revolution hitch. thanks for any info
__________________

__________________
Mike
mijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
would like some advise on what fifth wheel hitch is good for the new rockwoods with the reese revolution hitch. thanks for any info
I have a non slider Reese 16K for my 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS and love it after adding some spacer shims to fill the gap between the legs and the rails. Have to force the 4 pins in, but it doesn't make any noise.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
thanks Dave do u have a short bed tv?
__________________
Mike
mijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond
 
Clem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 13
Just got the Rockwood 8289WS towing with a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Max with a 5.5 ft bed. Towed for the first time last week and worked well. Need to figure out a lube for the revolution hitch pivot because it squeaks loudly but otherwise very happy. Got 9 mpg on my Tundra gas engine and towed the camper well with plenty of horsepower to spare.
__________________
Clem Jenkins...
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
Just got the Rockwood 8289WS towing with a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Max with a 5.5 ft bed. Towed for the first time last week and worked well. Need to figure out a lube for the revolution hitch pivot because it squeaks loudly but otherwise very happy. Got 9 mpg on my Tundra gas engine and towed the camper well with plenty of horsepower to spare.
Try hooking up, jackknife it as sharp as possible and spray lithium grease on the exposed corners of the lube plate. Worked for me and it doesn't squeak anymore and I've towed over 5,000 miles since Feb2012.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond
 
Clem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 13
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Will try that.
__________________
Clem Jenkins...
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
Just got the Rockwood 8289WS towing with a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Max with a 5.5 ft bed. Towed for the first time last week and worked well. Need to figure out a lube for the revolution hitch pivot because it squeaks loudly but otherwise very happy. Got 9 mpg on my Tundra gas engine and towed the camper well with plenty of horsepower to spare.
congrats on your new unit. What hitch did u install in your tundra?
__________________
Mike
mijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond
 
Clem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 13
We started out with the B&W TurnoverBall but after installing learned that the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch was not compatible with either the Tundra version of the TurnoverBall or with the factory installed pin box on the camper, the Reese Revolution.

So after that decided on the Reese 16k 5th wheel hitch and above bed rails. The look isn't as smooth as the TurnoverBall would have been but it was a compromise.

Our dealer had to weld a galvanized patch in my bed and cover it with spray bed liner to fix the hole from the TurnoverBall.

Again not super happy with all that but the camper experience helped make up for those frustrations.
__________________
Clem Jenkins...
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
would like some advise on what fifth wheel hitch is good for the new rockwoods with the reese revolution hitch. thanks for any info
The Reese Revolution (or Sidewinder) moves the pivot point 22" from the king pin. That more that you can get on any sliding hitch.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
We started out with the B&W TurnoverBall but after installing learned that the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch was not compatible with either the Tundra version of the TurnoverBall or with the factory installed pin box on the camper, the Reese Revolution.

So after that decided on the Reese 16k 5th wheel hitch and above bed rails. The look isn't as smooth as the TurnoverBall would have been but it was a compromise.

Our dealer had to weld a galvanized patch in my bed and cover it with spray bed liner to fix the hole from the TurnoverBall.

Again not super happy with all that but the camper experience helped make up for those frustrations.
thanks for that info i was looking at the B & W also but thought i read somewhere it was not compatible. It looks like the reese 16k is going to be it.
__________________
Mike
mijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,035
We are happy with the Revolution Hitch. But, it is a little more difficult to line up when you hitch it up. You need to be 100% straight going into it, or it won't lock in. And!!!! don't forget to give it a pull test before you pull away. Saw a truck in Myrtle Beach this past weekend with two deep dents in the truck side walls from the trailer pulling out of the hitch. Bad news.
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We are happy with the Revolution Hitch. But, it is a little more difficult to line up when you hitch it up. You need to be 100% straight going into it, or it won't lock in. And!!!! don't forget to give it a pull test before you pull away. Saw a truck in Myrtle Beach this past weekend with two deep dents in the truck side walls from the trailer pulling out of the hitch. Bad news.
Haven't noticed the 100% straight going in to hitch with mine, but it does have to be aligned so the pin & wedge contact the mouth of the hitch. I really like mine. Also use my version of Butch's hitch catcher.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.


×