Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
CampChef

Replace Kitchen Faucet

We have a 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2606WS. Just had the kitchen counter replaced through a warranty repair. Wanted to change out the faucet with a single handle style. Our dealer started it was not possible using a faucet purchased from Home Depot due to it does not have 2 screw locations to fasten it to the countertop. I would be interested in knowing if anybody with a similar trailer has done this and would love some suggestions.

mwmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmeier View Post
We have a 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2606WS. Just had the kitchen counter replaced through a warranty repair. Wanted to change out the faucet with a single handle style. Our dealer started it was not possible using a faucet purchased from Home Depot due to it does not have 2 screw locations to fasten it to the countertop. I would be interested in knowing if anybody with a similar trailer has done this and would love some suggestions.
Why would you need two screw locations? Can you post a picture of your current setup?

Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Sounds like your countertop is punched for a dual handle faucet (2 holes 8" on center) and you want a single handle faucet which may use just a single mounting hole. Punching a new larger single hole between the existing holes should not be difficult. This may be a moot input though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
CampChef

Here is the basic picture. Yes it is punched for a standard faucet. The dealer stated that it would not work due to the thickness of the countertop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E91E029-656D-429D-BDBF-35FDE9E06911.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	225017  
Old 03-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. I have never seen a faucet that couldn't accomodate various counter thicknesses of between 1/2" all the way up to 2-1/2".

Any of these faucets would work.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N...tialmax&NCNI-5

Note that the base plates will cover all three holes. If you choose a "one hole" faucet you would have two options.
1. blank out the extra holes with one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-1-...0830/204386229

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-1-...125R/202266945

2. add a soap dispenser in one hole and blank out the other one.

Good luck.

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. I have never seen a faucet that couldn't accomodate various counter thicknesses of between 1/2" all the way up to 2-1/2".

Any of these faucets would work.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Search/N...tialmax&NCNI-5

Note that the base plates will cover all three holes. If you choose a "one hole" faucet you would have two options.
1. blank out the extra holes with one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-1-...0830/204386229

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-1-...125R/202266945

2. add a soap dispenser in one hole and blank out the other one.

Good luck.
Proof again.....don’t use an RV Service centre to do anything “outside of the box” when performing mods.
If you don’t consider it a DIY job, any plumber “worth his salt” could do it. RV or house.....no matter.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is the basic picture. Yes it is punched for a standard faucet. The dealer stated that it would not work due to the thickness of the countertop.
Well, which is it from the dealer; "2 mounting provisions as you said or to thick"? Maybe the faucet you selected does call for a thinner mounting surface. and not wort the effort to accommodate the new faucet.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well, which is it from the dealer; "2 mounting provisions as you said or to thick"? Maybe the faucet you selected does call for a thinner mounting surface. and not wort the effort to accommodate the new faucet.
Replacement faucets are more than long enough to go thru ANY counter top.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
CampChef

The comment the service tech made was that the counter top was not thick enough to accommodate the faucet. Maybe too thin? I don't see that as a problem as one could add more wood or other reinforcement under the counter during installation.

I have done construction (plumbing, electrical, etc) most of my life on our homes and rentals. Just new to the RV world of poorly built tin cans. I appreciate all the advice.

My guess is they would not install during warranty work because it would void the warranty.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #10

I simply drilled a center hole with a hole saw and installed the new faucet....

It was 1/2" of composite counter top over 1/2" plywood. Have had no issues.

The dealer is clueless....just like all the others......

Old 03-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Maybe too thin? I don't see that as a problem as one could add more wood or other reinforcement under the counter during installation.
No need to add extra wood. Even if the deck is too thin (doubt it) just stack 9/16" or 5/8" fender washers on the threaded connector that goes thru the deck until you have enough thread to tighten it down good. 'course, you could glue/screw extra wood if there is room and you want to go to the trouble.

Quote:
My guess is they would not install during warranty work because it would void the warranty.
Maybe. They could have said that. But they lied to you instead.

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
CampChef

Thank you all for the advice. I figure the service tech was giving me a load of bull.

I will install it myself as with the other mods I have done. Always good to ask other RVers what they have done to make their traveling home more livable.

Thank you to 01Tundra for posting the picture.

Again thank you all. Hope to meet some of you in our travels.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Then it would be "thinness" not "thickness" as said and I think that there should be no issues even if some creative install needed to be done but who am I. It's your unit, you'll figure it out.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice. I figure the service tech was giving me a load of bull.

I will install it myself as with the other mods I have done. Always good to ask other RVers what they have done to make their traveling home more livable.

Thank you to 01Tundra for posting the picture.

Again thank you all. Hope to meet some of you in our travels.
Please share a pic with us when you have completed your mod. I have the 2606WS too and love it, but this particular modification is on my to do list. Thanks!
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrec27 View Post
Please share a pic with us when you have completed your mod. I have the 2606WS too and love it, but this particular modification is on my to do list. Thanks!

X2
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:

Your dealer is most likely wrong! However, snap a picture with your cellphone from underneath the faucet and show it to an associate at HD so that they can point you to a replacement faucet that is relatively easy to install in tight spaces and includes the base plate to cover the two holes. Also, make sure you know exactly what fittings you need to connect to the hot and cold water lines.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #17

We have a 2017 2606ws and it came with a single valve kitchen faucet with pull down spray. It is a very nice faucet.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #18

I swapped mine with one from Lowe's when a pot fell from an overhead cabinet breaking it at the base.

I replaced it with a single handle with removable sprayer. It had two holes in the bottom for water pipes and one in the middle for the water hose so it would fit but it had a different base size than the original and I had to drill a new hole. I bought a step bit from HF and drilled a new hole in the counter and enlarged the other 2 slightly. I believe you can find one the same configuration as your hole config but you have to look and be prepared to spend $. For me it was cheaper to drill new holes than pay as much for the right design.

The replacement faucet could have fit a cardboard box to a 2in slab. It was just two plastic nuts that fit on the threaded connectors. It could go from 1/4in to 2in I believe.

Some notes
the RV faucet attached directly to screw connectors under the counter. I never did find that type of connection or adaptor. I found it was best to cut the pex and put in sharkbite shutoffs. The kitchen faucet screwed directly to these and it took 2 minutes with the right access.
I have to put a hair scrunchie on the handle to prevent it from wiggling loose as it was not made for an RV and will drain even when depressurized.

I tried to find the right connectors for the rv fittings and went back and forth a few times. In the end I towed the trailer to Lowe's and fixed it there. That is when I finally got the right parts by using the sharkbite connectors...go figure.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #19

One of the first mods we make with any new RV is to replace all the cheapo OEM faucets with regular, higher quality. Never had any problems finding a direct replacement faucet at any hardware store.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #20
CampChef

Update on my weekend project. Flawless installation and looks great. Thank you again to all for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	390FAA3B-FE9D-4D3C-B963-1B3546350CF4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	225253   Click image for larger version

Name:	078EEE6E-5933-46BE-BF1E-8FB322220510.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	225254  

Tags