Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 AM   #1

Replacing hinged steps

The newer Rockwoods have a one piece fold down steps that on the 2205S extends 46 inches. I garage my trailer and don't have enough room to lay down the steps. Has anyone replaced this one piece hinged step with the folding steps that have been in use for many years? Any other solutions ?

thanks
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
Always Learning

Torklift has replacement steps for the fold-up ones.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Saw your post about your step above steps. I would like to replace them but those Torklift steps will not work in my case. I would like hear from others about these steps. We bought a new 2019 Rockwood 2109S with these steps. Never really gave them a thought when we bought it because the steps were down on either a level parking lot or on the showroom floor. Have had several issues with them in the real world. The biggest issues were on unlevel ground where I had to remove the adjustable legs to be able to open and close the doors. In two of those cases I had to dig the ground away to get it down low enough. Spoke with my dealer about it and was told that it was the first complaint they had. I took them over the company display they had on the floor to show them and low and behold this one was not level enough to open and close the door. Wish that the designers and sales people for Rockwood would actually use their products.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallm51 View Post
Saw your post about your step above steps. I would like to replace them but those Torklift steps will not work in my case. I would like hear from others about these steps. We bought a new 2019 Rockwood 2109S with these steps. Never really gave them a thought when we bought it because the steps were down on either a level parking lot or on the showroom floor. Have had several issues with them in the real world. The biggest issues were on unlevel ground where I had to remove the adjustable legs to be able to open and close the doors. In two of those cases I had to dig the ground away to get it down low enough. Spoke with my dealer about it and was told that it was the first complaint they had. I took them over the company display they had on the floor to show them and low and behold this one was not level enough to open and close the door. Wish that the designers and sales people for Rockwood would actually use their products.
Yep, one of the dealers here wanted $1200 to replace with the "standard" step. Another dealer, where I ended up up ordering the new rockwood, said numerous folks had a problem with the steps and offered to replace them with the standard step at nominal cost. They even asked Rockwood to delete installation of the standard step and credit us with the savings. I'm not optimistic but at least the dealer is giving it a shot.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
The newer Rockwoods have a one piece fold down steps that on the 2205S extends 46 inches. I garage my trailer and don't have enough room to lay down the steps. Has anyone replaced this one piece hinged step with the folding steps that have been in use for many years? Any other solutions ?

thanks
I don't have the link but there is a thread here somewhere describing a workaround. Drill out the rivets at the top of the stairs and replace with a pin of appropriate size. You can then have your step when camping but remove it if necessary to gain access while in storage.

I anticipate having the same problem and will take this approach. The stairs seem heavy but not unmanageable. I hope to not take advantage of that option very often.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post

thanks

We have the same trouble, while in storage not enough room to open and when camping sometimes leveling and getting the door to close is very difficult... looking for ideas..
Old 03-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls5150 View Post
We have the same trouble, while in storage not enough room to open and when camping sometimes leveling and getting the door to close is very difficult... looking for ideas..
There are references in this thread to drilling out the rivets at the top of the stairs and replacing them with removable pins. When you're in a situation that you can't get in or out, pull the pins and set it to the side.

The stairs are heavy and you won't have a way to step up to the entry level unless you have a step-stool or something like that.

If managing that is not an option for you, a competitor makes stairs that fold into the doorway but collapse. The clearance required to open the door is much less. That would be a relatively expensive resolution.

I believe those steps can be extended in a near-vertical arrangement, making them usable at a ladder in tight surroundings.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote