Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #41

Southco Compression Locks

I changed all of my CH51 keyed storage compartment locks with Southco Compression Locks over 3 1/2 years ago and couldn't be happier with the change.

I no longer have to use a key to open/unlock and then lock to close the storage doors. The Southco Lock install required minor modifications to the existing lock holes but was well worth the effort.

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #42

Compression lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
I changed all of my CH51 keyed storage compartment locks with Southco Compression Locks over 3 1/2 years ago and couldn't be happier with the change.

I no longer have to use a key to open/unlock and then lock to close the storage doors. The Southco Lock install required minor modifications to the existing lock holes but was well worth the effort.
What's a compression lock?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #43

Not convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Check out this source for a more secure tubular lock:

https://www.lockingsystems.com/cobracamlocks.htm
I see nothing on that website which suggests these locks are immune to the Bic pen trick. Their only claim to fame is a raised dimple in the center of the cylinder which makes it a little harder to start a drill. Let's see, do I just hit it hard with a center punch before drilling, or do I give it a brief touch with my battery-powered angle grinder.

I remain unconvinced.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
What's a compression lock?
Watch this video for easiest explaination:

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #45

Barrell Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone75 View Post
Hello all - hope everyone is having a nice holiday week. We have a rockwood mini lite 2509s and wanted to fine out if anyone has replaced the factory like with the tubular cam locks. If so which brands have you used.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, I also ordered all new locks from Shoprvlocks.com. Easy to measure.
Quick delivery. Love them.
OFF DUTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #46

I wanted to switch out our entry door lock a couple years ago, and went with RVlock. Bought cam locks from them at the same time and love them. Main door and cargo doors are all keyed alike, and they are solid locks. Easy to install on the mini lite too, just measure to order the right size.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #47

We installed "combi-cams" when we had our mini lite. Added a weather cover to them as well.

These are the locks:
https://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-785.../dp/B01N0HDXOO

These are the covers:
https://www.amazon.com/Frank-J-Marti.../dp/B004ONNA42

Old 01-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #48

I agree with TitanMike about how thieves can open your doors without a key. Locks just make it so that thieves find it easier to steal someone else's stuff. The same goes for coupler locks. A good screw driver or pry bar will open almost any storage door and a battery operated angle grinder will remove almost any lock.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #49

Barrel locks

I use what I call Barrel locks. If a thief wants to break in, there is no stopping
them, but if everyone in the camp has the same damn key, that makes it a little too easy. Go to www.shoprvlocks.com. Easy to measure your old ones.
No new holes or sizing modification needed and you have all the same key for
all your locks now, depending on how many you order. My whole 5th wheel
has these now. Very reasonably priced and arrived quickly. Margie
OFF DUTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #50
Texas RVr

Use these combo locks. You can get them at Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210107_151606.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	245651  
NorthTexasRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #51

Not everyone on the camp ground has a Bic pen on them and not everyone in the campground knows the Bic pen trick. But everyone on the campground has a 571 key and everyone in the campground knows how to use it. Are cam locks fool proof, no but they do reduce the population of potential thieves
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
All you lock people should not lock your RV compartments or storage areas. The locks keep most honest people out. The amount of damage someone causes breaking into your RV to get that $150 TV out weighs anything worth stealing. I never lock mine.
I do not lock mine either as I don't have anything in my storage areas that cost as much as the damage someone would cause getting to it
In fact I replaced all my storage locks with simple thumb turns as I hate always looking for the right key
Old 01-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #53

Lock-picking Lawyer

One of the really interesting YouTube channels is "Lock-picking Lawyer." It's (obviously) created by an attorney whose hobby is opening locks without keys. This post, from a year-and-a-half ago discusses a scam that takes place in Chicago where third-parties "boot" your car and what to do about it. The boot is interesting but what's closely related is the clever tool he uses to open the cylindrical lock. It's like the Bic pen but less force is used. as he uses just thumb and finger to open the cylindrical lock. I think I'll get one of these for my toolbox.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
One of the really interesting YouTube channels is "Lock-picking Lawyer." It's (obviously) created by an attorney whose hobby is opening locks without keys. This post, from a year-and-a-half ago discusses a scam that takes place in Chicago where third-parties "boot" your car and what to do about it. The boot is interesting but what's closely related is the clever tool he uses to open the cylindrical lock. It's like the Bic pen but less force is used. as he uses just thumb and finger to open the cylindrical lock. I think I'll get one of these for my toolbox.
That is a picking tool designed for barrel locks. One of the oldest tricks for those locks is hair spray. It still comes down to the same thing others have said, if yours is more difficult and there are easier targets you have a better chance.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
All you lock people should not lock your RV compartments or storage areas. The locks keep most honest people out. The amount of damage someone causes breaking into your RV to get that $150 TV out weighs anything worth stealing. I never lock mine.
The locks on you RV have a Dust Cover to keep dirt and water out. The Tubular lock pins are exposed to the weather so water and dirt will go into the pins.

Here's the Facts. You can put whatever lock you want on the door and in a matter of seconds I'll twist the entire lock with a pair of vice grips and I'm in. Or worse the person wanting access brings a crowbar! In my opinion if you want to deter someone remove the thumb latches and add a second or third lock but I'd keep the standard Key.
CrazyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #56

Probably won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOldGuy View Post
Here's the Facts. You can put whatever lock you want on the door and in a matter of seconds I'll twist the entire lock with a pair of vice grips and I'm in.
You probably won't. All the tubular locks have a flange tapered like a truncated cone. No way your vise-grips will bite. The key locks typically have a rounded flange which isn't much easier.

You would make faster progress driving a big screwdriver into the lock and twisting it. But brute force is SOOO crude.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOldGuy View Post
The locks on you RV have a Dust Cover to keep dirt and water out. The Tubular lock pins are exposed to the weather so water and dirt will go into the pins.

Here's the Facts. You can put whatever lock you want on the door and in a matter of seconds I'll twist the entire lock with a pair of vice grips and I'm in. Or worse the person wanting access brings a crowbar! In my opinion if you want to deter someone remove the thumb latches and add a second or third lock but I'd keep the standard Key.
You can purchase wearher/dust covers for tubular locks too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #58

Understand, I am resurrecting an old thread here.
Read all three pages and saw all the recommendations.
Going to change my storage compartment tubular cam locks with the round key type.

Question I have is my flanges have no bend at all just have the two corners are flared? Don't see any cam example on ILH or Amazon with the same cams as I have.
Can I just reuse my cams on the new locks?
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:49 PM   #59

Never mind gotter done!
Old 05-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #60

Didn't think it through...

A semi-related note:

I literally laughed out loud when I noticed the keyed lock on the main door of my tent camper. A door that is flanked by "walls" made of canvas that attach to the door frame... with Velcro.

Some design engineer at Forest River didn't think that one through...

"Winter in Phoenix falls on a Tuesday this year..."
Tombstone1881 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock, storage