Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Replacing the carpet in my 2012 8280 ultra lite.

We have used our fifth wheel a lot. The under pad is buckling up and the carpet is the worse for wear. We are thinking of replacing the carpet with a good quality vinyl laminate plank, Has anyone done this? My questions are: How does the flooring stand up? (buckling ? lifting?). When the slide comes in will it scar the new flooring if it is not leaving any marks on the existing carpet now? (I believe the slide is properly balanced so that it foes not touch the carpet). What about floor in the slide. How would I handle how the current slide carpet covers the join between the trailer body and the slide? Any help, advice or experience would be most helpful. Vern: feedback:
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

I have not replaced it in a TT but have in a Class A winne I removed all the carpet on the floors and slide and replaced with Allure vinyl glue together planks with great results. After years of use including Jake (the lab) going in and out it was like new when I sold the rig. Installation was easy on both floor and slide.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Re theflooring

Seadog. Thank you. Two questions: Was there any problem with the slide coming in over the new flooring? And How did you handle the area where the slide (when out) and the body floor meet? My slide is level with the floor (no step down) Vern
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepichs View Post
Seadog. Thank you. Two questions: Was there any problem with the slide coming in over the new flooring? And How did you handle the area where the slide (when out) and the body floor meet? My slide is level with the floor (no step down) Vern
I didn't have to contend with that in the winne the slide was raised, however the Allure flooring that I used is only about 1/8 inch thick I would think a thin piece of trim or the flooring trimmed and glued down there would solve the issue. this is a guess on my part not seeing the rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #5

FWIW, out trailer is primarily vinyl flooring. The slide itself has carpet. We have had no issue with the slide damaging the vinyl.
Issue I can think of it how do you manage the transition edge of the slide if you put vinyl on the slide.
When we were looking at units last year, we did see one brand that was offering 100% vinyl floor - Open Range. You might want to find a dealer that carries them and take a look at how they did it.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

re reflooring

SailorSam20500. Thank you. Good point. That is the biggest challenge. Good idea to check out other manufacturers. I have also considered removing the existing carpet in the slide (bench seat would have to be removed) and taking it to a carpet "seamer" and having a new one made. (probably expensive). I also think that I will go with vinyl plank for the main floor.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I would think that if you used a soft vinyl flooring rather than the hard laminate planks, you could simply attach a standard transition piece but only attach it to the slide flooring. It would lay loose in the same fashion that the carpet does now.

Looking at this picture of the above mentioned Open Range brand, it appears to be something like I describe.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #8

replacing the carpet

GreenImp: Thank you. I will certainly check that out. I always worry about the "trip" potential. The current carpet has some "give" . The soft vinyl is an option. Ahh decisions, decisions

Tags
2012, 280, lite