Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmarshall911 View Post
Y
The 12v fridge + 190watt solar is not a boondocking package. It's an entry level solution to manage short-term interruptions of shore power where we used to rely on the 'auto' switch on the elect/gas evaporative refrigerators to change from 120v to gas when there was no power.

/Jeff

Bravo, I was just thinking the same thing!
RavensRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:38 PM   #22

Hi Jeff, We are waiting on our 2608 due in at our dealer in March. We plan on adding 3 or more Battle Born batteries, Victron multiplex, Victron solar charger controller, Victron battery monitor. Do you think there is room for all the equipment including the batteries with room for one or two more batteries in the front storage area. And if so will there be anymore storage room left?
Rjfvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #23

Solar Discussion

Great thread,
I ordered a M-L 2509S for April delivery. Based on research and input from this forum I ordered 2 roof top panels, gas fridge and 2 GC batteries @ 235 amps. I wanted enough power for the extra max air fan/vent, power stabilizers, tongue jack, awning, microwave, coffee pot, TV, lights, water pump and passive. I will add a battery monitor to manage the system. I felt the household fridge would break the bank. I have no interest in generators.

In cross country travel, dry camping would mainly be some overnight parking lots and some 2 to 3 night stays at federal parks such as the national seashore.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that FR will deliver and the equipment will meet or exceed expectations.
2003 Utah Pop-Up
“Wanna Be” fisherman
I’d rather be sailing!
olbutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:19 AM   #24

I'm noodling the same problem. While that's the right place to put it, you will limit the kitchen storage. Without too much trouble, you could put one battery on each shelf and tuck them in the corner. My wife would never go for that.

Ideas I've thought of:
- Space under the fridge/behind the circuit panel is pretty big. There is a flexible heat duct that runs from the furnace to the doorway and the converter is in this space. Since I'm already cutting in a vent (converters create heat, no idea why they shove them into enclosed spaces), I may just make it a vented door access from the doorway side of the wall. Cons with this is more construction, having to manage the high-amp inverter run back and it will be tight.
- keeping the tongue battery box but putting a metal one on instead with a lock. I like this idea best as there is a mess of wiring up there that I'm already planning on attacking and this will allow me to clean that up, keep the high-amp run to the inverter short, and I'm not shoe-horning my work in a cabinet that I have to use yoga to access.
- Since these already have the fold out steps, the space under the doorways are empty, a little sheet metal cutting of the skirt and the aftermarket step storage boxes will fit right in. I'm already planning on one for the stuff I need for setup (pads, ramps, chocks) but there are 2 doors. Unfortunately, these are not cheap but access would be slick. Thinking about it now, I guess the same could be said for any space along the outside perimeter that would fit a box between the frame and exterior skirting. hmmm, once the snow leaves, I might just see if this would fit street side, up front between the slideout and nose (the stabilizer is there, so maybe not but I'll measure it)

/Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjfvt View Post
Hi Jeff, We are waiting on our 2608 due in at our dealer in March. We plan on adding 3 or more Battle Born batteries, Victron multiplex, Victron solar charger controller, Victron battery monitor. Do you think there is room for all the equipment including the batteries with room for one or two more batteries in the front storage area. And if so will there be anymore storage room left?
jeffmarshall911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #25

Update from Original Poster...

So, my Rockwood 2509s came in a couple weeks ago. Here's an update for anyone that wants more insight on the solar package that comes with the MiniLite that option the 12V fridge.

First off, the dealer made a video of my exact unit when it arrived, he went up on the roof at the end of the video to show the positioning of the panel, wiring entry plate, etc.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/0HKkR2QMkhg

As for details...

The 190W panel is mounted directly in front of the Wifi Ranger--which I'm worried might cast a shadow on the panel when the sun is low. The mounting hardware can be adjusted to nudge it forward a few inches if needed to give it a bit more distance from the Wifi Ranger.

The roof solar prep port is the GoPower one. It is connected to 8 gauge wire between the roof and the solar charge controller. The solar charge controller connects to the battery via 10 gauge wire.

The solar charge controller is the GoPower PWM-30 with Bluetooth. It supports 30 amps of solar input--so it is certainly able to accommodate 2 additional panels of matching specs.

The solar charge controller is PWM, and it's max charge rate is 14.4V. So, the 190 Watt panel is actually only capable of supplying 130 Watts (8.9A x 14.4W) via that controller. If we assume the mid-west annual average of 4.5 hours of optimal daily sunlight, then you can hope for upwards of 600 Watts per day. However, since the panel has 4V of headroom above what the controller can utilize, it should be able to sustain its current for a while without optimal daylight. This could make it a more consistent input later in the day--here's hoping!

I haven't had a chance to test this theory yet, but I will report back!

I've purchased a matching panel to mount beside it, so my real world daily capacity might be upwards of 1.2 kWh.

I've paired it with 2 Trojan T-105s in series. So, I theoretically have 225 Amp hours--of which I should be able to utilize roughly 160 Amp hours.

So, I should be able to use upwards of 1.2kWh every 24 hours without running down the battery. And if the sun doesn't cooperate, I'll have 1.9kWh in battery reserve to ride it out.

This seems like it should be sufficient for the type of camping I plan on doing.

Real world testing suggests the fridge will draw roughly 75 Amps per day. I'm estimating that I'll need another 50 Amps per day for nominal lighting, water pump, etc.

If I can live within that sort of power budget, then this setup should be able to last 7 days before I need to supplement from gas power.

As for the 2509s in general, here's a few fun facts for any prospective buyer...

MiniLites are now being made with Azdel in the sidewalls. The roof and floor are not. This shaved 200 pounds off our trailer, and should hold up better if we have any leaks.

Last year the MiniLites came with a Dometic 310 porcelain toilet. However, due to supply issues, Rockwood is putting the Dometic 300 plastic toilet in the MiniLites and saving their porcelain for the full size signature series trailers. If you complain long enough you might be able to get a commitment from Rockwood for a warranty swap out when stock is available, or a $75 rebate. I can't confirm that, but I will be contacting Rockwood to find out.

The main control panel functions can now be controlled via bluetooth from your phone.

The switch for the inverter is on the front of the left side stand next to the Murphy bed.

They are using both white and black blind over the stove and in the bathroom--again due to supply issues.

They've stopped putting 749 vendor/feature stickers on the side of the trailer. They now only put safety and certification stickers on the trailer and all the promotional logos, etc. have been printed on a board that slides into the screen door. This board can be swapped out or painted to make a nice kick guard for the screen door.

Last year Rockwood was using Hisense smart TVs in the MiniLites. This year they have returned to the tried and true 720P Furrion TV.

The cargo net for the under bunk storage area is now a finer mesh.

They redesigned the base of the U dinette to all more room for feet to rest under the bench.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with their insights on my questions.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.
johnmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #26

rwoodfstaff,

When you ask about a 90 amp model are you actually asking about a 90 watt solar panel to plug into the solar on the side plug?

If yes, the answer is “it depends” on what your total power requirements are, how much sun you can feed the panel and the type/capacity of your batteries.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #27

Thanks for the Link. The same dealer has 20 min+ video for the 2511S w/ solar Fridge package which is the unit we purchased. Did you buy the extra panels from the dealer?

My unit should arrive in 3 to 4 weeks -optimistic scenerio, could/probably be more like 5 to 6 weeks or longer. Ordered it back in min-November.
RavensRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #28

Jeff, thanks for the ideas! keep us posted on what you find out. I'm interested in utilizing the area under the frig for the batteries or at least some of them. I thought about putting the batteries on the tongue, I found a box that might fit 6 batteries but if we travel down south it would be vary hard to control the temp inside the box.BB Batteries max operating temp is 140 degrees. I think I would install the box for the storage I loose in the passenger side front storage compartment. I know I'm only starting with two or three batteries but I want to plane the room to have two to three more.

Rick
Rjfvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensRoost View Post
Thanks for the Link. The same dealer has 20 min+ video for the 2511S w/ solar Fridge package which is the unit we purchased. Did you buy the extra panels from the dealer?

My unit should arrive in 3 to 4 weeks -optimistic scenerio, could/probably be more like 5 to 6 weeks or longer. Ordered it back in min-November.
My unit took 4 months to come in.

I priced out a matching solar panel from the dealer, but with installation, etc. it was too price (like $700). So, I bought a 175 W Renogy panel for $200 and I'll install it myself.
johnmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #30

John,
Very happy for you and your new buddy. I'm hope you have lots of good times together.
We are waiting for the same setup in our little 2509 friend to arrive sometime in march.
You have been a wealth of information and we are all grateful to you.
Stay safe & God bless.
paul
Twopups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:11 AM   #31

GP Solar Elite

I have ordered what is basically the Go Power Solar Elite package (a la cart with different 200w solar panels). I’m following this thread closely because while my 2509S is “pre-wired” I looked under the sink today and there is no room for the controller where the sticker is (under the sink). I was thinking of taking out the small outdoor fridge and putting the batteries there in the outdoor kitchen. But maybe that’s a spot for the 2000 watt inverter (it’s a good size) and batteries under the fridge?

I also haven’t found where the cables end coming from the solar entry on the roof. I would have thought they were under the sink where the GP Controller sticker is. Maybe I’m just missing them?

I plan on 4x100 amp AGM batteries. They are heavy. Seems it will take a lot of space to keep the controller, inverter and batteries in close proximity. I’m looking forward to one of you smart folks figuring it out!
2020 Rzr XP4 Turbo S
DeucesWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmurr View Post
... The roof solar prep port is the GoPower one. It is connected to 8 gauge wire between the roof and the solar charge controller. The solar charge controller connects to the battery via 10 gauge wire. ...
I think you have the sizes backwards. The solar panel wires are 10 gauge and the battery charger wires are 8 gauge.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I think you have the sizes backwards. The solar panel wires are 10 gauge and the battery charger wires are 8 gauge.
I was thinking the same thing. On my new 2205S the PV leads are 10 GA., battery leads are 8 GA. I ordered the 12v fridge/solar package due to possible bans of propane fridges in some areas. And, there's two less holes in the back wall and roof.
The WFCO 1000-watt inverter is a passthrough inverter, serving as an electronic transfer. Mine is located in the front storage compartment with the remote switch next to the bed. Five 120-volt outlets are switched between inverter and shore power.
The first upgrade on mine is going to be replacing the GoPower pwm charge controller with an mppt controller, a Rich or Renogy most likely.
Two lifepo4 100ah batteries and an Aili meter with the 500-amp shunt are in the basement, as is a 2500-watt-continuous inverter, waiting for spring temperatures. Three 200-watt solar panels will supplement the GP 190 already on the roof and two more 100ah lifepo4 batteries will join the first two.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #34

Don’t forget to change your cables if you plan to run high continues currents.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #35

I ordered a 2509S for April delivery with (2) roof top 190 panels, golf cart 235 amp batteries and the 8 cu. ft. Gas fridge. I wasn’t comfortable adding the fridge to the electrical load. I expect to average 50 to 60% from the panels. I will need to power the passive, awning, tongue jack, power stabilizers, lights, water pump, vent fans, furnace blower, TV, coffee maker, micro wave and device re-charging. I’m hoping the existing systems; controller, inverter and circuits will all work. We are conservative electric consumers. We dry camp about 20% of the time and how the juice holds up will determine the duration. What am I missing?
2003 Utah Pop-Up
“Wanna Be” fisherman
I’d rather be sailing!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I ordered a 2509S for April delivery with (2) roof top 190 panels, golf cart 235 amp batteries and the 8 cu. ft. Gas fridge. I wasn’t comfortable adding the fridge to the electrical load. I expect to average 50 to 60% from the panels. I will need to power the passive, awning, tongue jack, power stabilizers, lights, water pump, vent fans, furnace blower, TV, coffee maker, micro wave and device re-charging. I’m hoping the existing systems; controller, inverter and circuits will all work. We are conservative electric consumers. We dry camp about 20% of the time and how the juice holds up will determine the duration. What am I missing?
How big is the inverter? Unless it's >=2KW, using the microwave and/or coffee pot may be a stretch.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #37

Solar electric usage

Thank you, great call out, I think the inverter is a 1KW. Sounds like the microwave needs to come off, gotta have coffee. Now that I think about it in my pop up we used to blow the CFI when we ran both and that was under shore power. Not sure what the microwave draws, I know they are hogs. I guess I could stove top the coffee. I wanted to avoid upping the inverter and all that could be involved.
2003 Utah Pop-Up
“Wanna Be” fisherman
I’d rather be sailing!
Old 02-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Thank you, great call out, I think the inverter is a 1KW. Sounds like the microwave needs to come off, gotta have coffee. Now that I think about it in my pop up we used to blow the CFI when we ran both and that was under shore power. Not sure what the microwave draws, I know they are hogs. I guess I could stove top the coffee. I wanted to avoid upping the inverter and all that could be involved.
There are many ways to have very good coffee made by heating water on a propane stove. We have a Melitta pour-over pot with cone filters. Others use French Presses, Presto single-cup K-cup coffee makers, and other methods.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #39

Solar

I contacted Rockwood, they only offer the 1000 watt inverter in mini lites. I contacted Go Power, an upgrade would require mods to the wiring and fuse block. My dealer can upgrade to 2000 watt inverter for $1000. Not worth it to us for micro wave and coffee maker. With (2) panels and 1000 watt inverter I’m hoping we’ll have ample power for everything else. The extra panel and GF batteries hopefully will increase the duration of our dry camping capability without having to micro-manage.
2003 Utah Pop-Up
“Wanna Be” fisherman
I’d rather be sailing!
Old 02-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #40

I wouldn't upgrade the inverter with the current wiring, battery type or battery location. Rockwood's system (wire gauge and equipment choice and location) is not an ideal configuration but is adequate for modest needs. It's good for charging and operating small electric devices and entertainment systems, which is all most people want.

Tags
inverter, rockwood, solar