Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Rockwood 2509s - Solar - Inverter - Refrigerator

I just purchased my RW Mini lite 2509s with the solar package and when I picked it up was surprised that the fridge was a propane/AC fridge. All my prior research made me think that if you got the solar package you would automatically get the 12vdc fridge. I guess the dealer made a decision that the propane option was better.

After waiting for 9 months to get the unit we decided to deal with it. We took our first trip and it seems to work ok. It takes a while to cool down but once cool it is fine. The whole time we camped at parks and had full hook ups. however, we mostly plan to boondock where we don't have shore power. i suppose i can buy a generator, but then i have to carry fuel.

i know the solar package came with an invertor and most of the outlets are connected to it, but i don't think the refrigerator is and i can't find anything that diagrams what exactly is connected to the inverter.

so i guess my question for anyone out there is.... How can i keep the fridge cold while traveling? from what I've seen you can operate a propane fridge while traveling in some states, but I'm not sure which ones. I've also read that it isn't really a great idea to do that anyway.

I am anxious to hear any pointers from anyone on this subject.
2014 Toyota Tundra
2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
rgwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

We ordered a 2509S earlier this year. I just looked at the order form and the 12V fridge is a separate line item from the solar. It does read weird on the fridge line item though:

"12V. 11 CU.FT. REFRIGERATOR W/ 190 WATT SOLAR PANEL & INVERTER IPO 8 CU.FT"

I understood that to mean, you have to have the 190 watt solar option to pick this option.
Paerrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwaldron View Post

so i guess my question for anyone out there is.... How can i keep the fridge cold while traveling? from what I've seen you can operate a propane fridge while traveling in some states, but I'm not sure which ones. I've also read that it isn't really a great idea to do that anyway.
Please cite where you got this information, that only "some" states allow traveling with the fridge on propane.
2-way fridges(propane and electric)have been the standard in RVs for over 75 years. There is NO state where it is illegal to travel with the fridge on propane. There are a handful of tunnels in the East, that ban it.
We have ran our RV fridges on propane, while traveling, for 30 years and never had issues nor seen any laws against doing it.
A 2-way fridge is the only RV fridge we will have, since we dry camp frequently.
You will get better answers if you post make and model number of the fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

I have a different model, but on my rockwood the outlets on the inverter are marked with a small white tag.

Your two-way fridge likely runs on 12v when using propane, so the inverter is not needed for that and should stay off when you aren't using it.

You should just be able to put your fridge on its auto setting and when you unplug your shore line it will automatically switch to 12v/propane.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #5

I can't cite anything specific. It's mainly just different people on YouTube, which I guess you can argue is very subjective. I've been trying to find a website myself so I can have a trustworthy source. some of the points I've heard brought up are hazards if you get into an accident there could be propane flowing which could cause a problem. the other issue i've heard is being within 20 ft (or so, unsure of exact distance) from a fuel pump when refueling your tow vehicle.

Since you do travel with your propane fridge running, do you experience any issues in hilly terrain? I'm new to RVing so I don't have much experience yet, but thought the fridge had to be super level or it would shut off. does that happen or does it restart on it's own?

thanks for your input.

Robert
2014 Toyota Tundra
2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
rgwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Site Team

I live out West and have many mountainous regions to travel over. NEVER had any issues regarding the fridge on propane.
You're taking the level thing to literally. The level thing is more important when the RV is stationary, not when it's moving.
Never heard of any shutoff feature if it's not level.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #7

IMHO the dealer did you a favor by not ordering the 12v fridge, especially since you plan to boondock. Propane keeps the fridge cold with almost no draw on the 12v system, leaving it for other important uses when you're unplugged, like the furnace fan, kitchen fan, bathroom fan, water pump and any 110V items you're using your inverter for. Having a propane fridge should mean you have a lesser need for a generator, not more.
I started towing in 1982 and have never shut off the propane fridge while traveling.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #8

Driving with propane on

I have a 2020 2509S and drove cross country with it on and had no issues. I would recommend you have GasStop on your tank.
AAparicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

Could you tell me the location of the factory installed inverter?

Thanks,

Adrien
adrienbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #10

In case you haven't figured it out.

12V refrigerator comes with solar and inverter.
Solar and inverter does not come with refrigerator.

There are 2 different ways to order. My 2608BS I ordered with the 12V refrigerator so I get all of it.

I've had 120V/Propane refrigerators for years and always rung it in Auto mode and use propane with travelling. The nice thing about auto mode is if the campground loses 120V then the refrigerator will automatically switch over to propane and keep running.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienbaker View Post
Could you tell me the location of the factory installed inverter?
I don't have a factory inverter but I believe they're above the pass-through on the road side, accessible through the outside hatch. They may be concealed behind a piece of paneling, as other items like the water pump and hot water heater are.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I don't have a factory inverter but I believe they're above the pass-through on the road side, accessible through the outside hatch. They may be concealed behind a piece of paneling, as other items like the water pump and hot water heater are.
Thank you, I sort of assumed that might be the spot. I took out all of my paneling to get a feel for what’s hidden around the trailer and found a receptacle there that looks like it was installed as a junction box. I’m assuming this would be the spot to use if I decide to install an inverter.

Thanks again,

Adrien
Old 05-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you, I sort of assumed that might be the spot. I took out all of my paneling to get a feel for what’s hidden around the trailer and found a receptacle there that looks like it was installed as a junction box. I’m assuming this would be the spot to use if I decide to install an inverter.
Further support of the theory is that the inverter switch, if installed, is on the front face of the cabinet beside the right arm of the couch. That puts it very close to the inverter.

Assuming the batteries are mounted on the tongue, cables to the inverter have to travel that distance, I hope they're beefy. I'm skeptical.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:10 AM   #14

Quote:
... I’m assuming this would be the spot to use if I decide to install an inverter. ...
I installed my Renogy 2KW inverter there. The LFP batteries and solar charge controller are in the front compartment next to it.

I built a 1/4" panel on legs to support the inverter up out of the way and so there's something substantial to attach it to. I mounted the inverter on top of a 11x17 baker's cooling rack as a stand-off from a flammable surface and to increase air circulation for cooling.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #15

Would you mind posting some pictures of your install?

Thanks,

Adrien

Tags
refrigerator, rockwood, inverter, solar, 2509s