Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Rockwood 2604ws needs tires

Our Rockwood 2604ws needs tires. Right now it has st205/75r14 C rated tires on Aluminum rims. Thinking about going to D rated

Opinions / Experience

2014 Rockwood 2604WS
2019 Chevy Trail Boss 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #2

When we replaced the tires on our 26RLWS, the Flagstaff version of yours, we went with Goodyear Endurance LR D. Huge difference. Towed better. Was more stable at the campground, I assume from stiffer tires. And the extra margin of safety from stepping up to a D range made me happy. Totally worth it.
dugwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

got mine at e-custom hitch .com no tax free ship. came in 5 days . use there web site no amazon .price is better.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

19' GEO PRO. Moved up to D rated Greenball Towmaster tires from Costco. Much, much better performance!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Tires

I did the same and switched to 215/75-14" GY Endurance D rated. Very happy w/ over 10K on them and still look great. Mine is a 27 VSL.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
Our Rockwood 2604ws needs tires. Right now it has st205/75r14 C rated tires on Aluminum rims. Thinking about going to D rated

Opinions / Experience
I have the same trailer. I tried to move to Goodyear endurance "D" rated, but they were no available due to the covid-19 shutdown. I went with Carlisle HDTrail which is the "D" rated version. Note, Carlisle also sells Standard Duty "C" rated version. My tire dealer did not realize that there is a "D" rated version in the ST205/75r/14 size. So far I'm pleased, but I only have a few months and few miles on the new tires.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugwms View Post
When we replaced the tires on our 26RLWS, the Flagstaff version of yours, we went with Goodyear Endurance LR D. Huge difference. Towed better. Was more stable at the campground, I assume from stiffer tires. And the extra margin of safety from stepping up to a D range made me happy. Totally worth it.
Ditto with our 2604ws--tows beautifully and less bounce while parked in campground.
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

I have a 2016, rockwood, model 2604, i just put new carlilse's on it,
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #9

I made the same switch to the GY tires. Happy with the extra load margin. You probably have Lionsgate wheels, I did. I checked with the Liongate rep at the 2019 FR Int Rally. Was told their wheels have a 100 PSI rating.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post

Opinions / Experience
We have the same trailer and put the goodyear endurance on it. Great tire. Rides better, tracks better and gives better stability. Mount them up, get them balanced and enjoy a better safer ride. We also installed a tpms. Peace of mind.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #11

After I had a blowout with the factory installed Castle Rocks, I had 4 Carlisle’s installed. Very happy with the Carlisle’s. They are in my 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #12

Most trailers are sold with tires that are barely rated for the weight of the trailer. I believe by the time the trailer is loaded, it is overloading the tires. Over the years, I've had multiple blowouts on hot summer days in AZ. Once I upgraded all of my trailers to D range, that has stopped. Definitely go to D range tires. Check the speed rating. I believe almost all trailer tires now are rated for at least 81 mph, instead of the 65 mph that was the norm for years. My D range tires were a little larger diameter than the C range tires, but it hasn't been a problem.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
BMullins46

As an extra margin of safety step have your dealer install the metal valve stems when he installs the tires. The extra $5-10 per wheel is well worth it, I have load range E tires on my 5th wheel and I couldn't keep air in the tires until I had the metal valve stems installed, now they maintain the 80psi.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
As an extra margin of safety step have your dealer install the metal valve stems when he installs the tires. The extra $5-10 per wheel is well worth it, I have load range E tires on my 5th wheel and I couldn't keep air in the tires until I had the metal valve stems installed, now they maintain the 80psi.
The metal stems are especially important if you have stem-mounted TPMS sensors installed.

Also true for your truck tires.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #15

First, are you sure you don't already have load rage D tires? Because, at roughly 1760 pound load capacity per tire, a load range C seems hopelessly inadequate. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...AaAvTmEALw_wcB
If you had load range C tires on that nearly 9000 pound rig, count your lucky stars that they didn't do the China Bomb thing.

Assuming you might mean switch from load range D to load range E....I'll elaborate on that move.

Whether to move to load range E from load range D is really a matter of math. Does the GVWR of your rig crowd the upper limits of your stock tires? If so, it's a good idea to move up and buy some extra safety margin. On the other hand, if the factory tires actually offered up a substantial margin of safety, buying a quality tire (e.g. Goodyear or Maxxis) is more than enough while sticking with a load range C.

https://www.parrisrv.com/product/new...4ws-1027774-29
Rockwood...SHAME ON ROCKWOOD...does not publish GVWR. They do publish dry weight and CCC, or "cargo weight." Add them up; it's not hard. But to FAIL to publish a simple, and CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT, number, the GWVR, is unconscionable. Using a 2020 to illustrate - your GVWR is 8782 pounds. Let's be reasonable and add a bit of margin for unintended overloading....let's call it 9000 pounds. Should you overload? Of course not. But unless you're on a friends and family discount basis with a close and convenient truck scale, you won't know from trip to trip. And as time goes on through a season, more and more junk accumulates in your rig. Anyway, I digress. Stick with 8782 if you're fastidious...you'll soon see it doesn't matter.

According to Goodyear, load-range D tires are able to carry 2040 pounds each. X 4 that equals 8160 pounds on the tires. That's a real number...not some estimate. The same 2020 spec says that the dry hitch weight is 782 pounds. Let's make that 800 pounds with, say, two x 6 volt golf cart batteries and full tanks of propane. You get to add the tongue weight to the tires' capacity, because that much of the 8772 pounds is on the tongue, not the tires/axles.

A little math reveals that load range D tires might be left carrying 8000 pounds or more. That's obviously cutting it mighty thin, and if you overload the rig even a little, you've exceeded the tires' rated load capacity. As others have suggested, many RV manufacturers use the "barely enough" method of selecting tires. Frankly, an 8782 pound GVWR deserves 15" tires and considerably more margin for error. (larger wheels/tires carry more weight with the same load range tires...and wider tires carry more weight. 205 75 14 tires are very small for a rig the size of yours.) Check your wheel width, and you may find that a 215 width tire will fit your rim width just fine and carry more weight...because there's more air volume inside the tire.

So, load range E it is...if you can find them in 14's. You will pickup roughly 100 pounds per tire in load capacity...in other words 400 pounds of margin of safety. These tires will be slightly "stiffer", but if you use Goodyear's load charts, you may be able to reduce tire pressures slightly to soften the ride while still maintaining a margin of safety. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf At 65 PSI, the E's will out=carry the D's, but if you use the pressure/load charts Goodyear offers, you may be able to get away with 60 PSI and still have the right load carrying capacity. Use the charts with the tires you choose.

This doesn't apply to you, but it's also fair to point out that you can overdo this process. If you swap D's for F's, your rig will ride like a Flintsone car riding on rocks. There is a Goldilocks point at which the tires match the load with a reasonable safety margin, and the ride is reasonable enough to avoid shaking your rig apart. Of course, you won't find 205 75 14's in load range F, because it just makes sense to go with a bigger tire and wheel combo to get the load carrying capacity.

Assuming you actually had load range D tires, the load range D tires were "legal," but barely enough in your application. If you had load range C tires on that rig, you got very lucky to not have a massive blowout and rip out your fender wells. Nuff said.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugwms View Post
Wow they put Cs on your 26RLWS? Theybreally did cut that close. Mine came with D and I replaced with Es because that was what I could find after a blowout and a cracking tire on the remaining axle.

For the OP, I would definitely update to Ds and maybe more depending on the weights.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

I will make my statement brief. No long story necessary.

My bet 225/75/15 LRD

EDIT: Found this

bradbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, rockwood, tire, tires