Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #1

Rockwood 2604ws smell when flushing black tank

I have a 2019 Rockwood 2604ws. When I flush my black tank there is a strong urine smell in the bathroom. There is no wetness in the floor, but I canít find the source of the smell. The smell goes away in a few days and if I donít flush the tank there is not a problem.

Any ideas where m/how to look?

Thank you,
Steve.
Srockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:29 PM   #2

What is the make and model number of that toilet?
Old 07-06-2022, 05:02 AM   #3

make sure your drain valve is closed. walmart sells this orange liquid. pour about 2oz in toilet. add plenty of water.
wildmanabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

Not sure what brand and model of toilet you have but I had a dometic and the ball seal in the toilet got unseated when I stuck a cleaning wand down there. This allowed the black tank vapors to escape into the bath room. One sure way to tell is to fill it with water and it should remain full and not drain down. If it drains down the ball is not seated correctly. If the water stays in it next place I would look is the wax ring between the toilet and the floor.

Lastly there was a series of dometic 300 series which had some issues with urine odors to the extent where they offered to send replacements free of charge. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-170420.html
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Do you have the dump valve fully open when you flush? Also check to insure the vent pipe has not slid down further into the black tank. You can do this by looking into the vent on the roof.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #6

Solution:
Quote:
if I don’t flush the tank there is not a problem.
Flushing the black tank is rarely required unless you're poisoning it.

-- Chuck
Old 07-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

It is a Dometic. Not sure if the model. Where do I find the model number.
Srockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srockey View Post
It is a Dometic. Not sure if the model. Where do I find the model number.
If it's plastic it's a 300. If it's porcelain it's a 310 or 320. The 320 has a larger oval bowl. I'm betting you have a 300 because of your model and year. The 310 is plug and play with the 300, we love ours.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1282
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #9

Dometic 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Lastly there was a series of dometic 300 series which had some issues with urine odors to the extent where they offered to send replacements free of charge. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-170420.html
Specifically, the bowl of the 300 had an inside and outside layer manufactured separately. When they were fit together, urine could escape and pool between the layers. This could not be fixed.

Originally Dometic gave free replacements, then $75 coupons. I'm not sure they're even doing that any more.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:32 AM   #10

The seal leaks poopy water into the hollow space in the cheap plastic toilet.
I got a porcelain toilet and we couldnít be more happy with the new toilet.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Solution: Flushing the black tank is rarely required unless you're poisoning it.

-- Chuck
I have to flush mine every time just to reset the level indicators.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #12

This will depend on what sensors are in the tank. But I'd try an enzyme and Odorlos in the black holding tank and save the labor if that works. Horst Miracle Probe sensors work for me and were a direct replacement for the bolts thru the tank wall that claimed to be sensors in the OEM tank.

Seems we have two "stinkies" present here with the toilet being fixed only by replacing it. I'll have to inspect what I have but don't recall any smell.

-- Chuck
Old 07-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #13
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
This will depend on what sensors are in the tank. But I'd try an enzyme and Odorlos in the black holding tank and save the labor if that works. Horst Miracle Probe sensors work for me and were a direct replacement for the bolts thru the tank wall that claimed to be sensors in the OEM tank.

Seems we have two "stinkies" present here with the toilet being fixed only by replacing it. I'll have to inspect what I have but don't recall any smell.

-- Chuck
Just in regards to my statement, I have no smells. I also don't consider attaching a water hose while I dump to be work at all. Just rinses off the sensors so they work on the next trip.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:17 PM   #14

I don't mind anyone wasting their own time with unnecessary tasks like this -- as long as they're not in front of me at the dump site. Actual dumping should take no more than 5 minutes from spotting the camper to pulling away. That requires preparation before stopping at the drains -- I've seen guys searching for their sewer hose for several minutes after they sat in line for several minutes while the guy before them did several rinses and made sure to put everything away before he pulled away. These are the same guys who block the gas pumps while they go into to get drinks and snacks...

On a full service site? Spend as much time as you want.

-- Chuck
Old 07-17-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
I don't mind anyone wasting their own time with unnecessary tasks like this -- as long as they're not in front of me at the dump site. Actual dumping should take no more than 5 minutes from spotting the camper to pulling away. That requires preparation before stopping at the drains -- I've seen guys searching for their sewer hose for several minutes after they sat in line for several minutes while the guy before them did several rinses and made sure to put everything away before he pulled away. These are the same guys who block the gas pumps while they go into to get drinks and snacks...

On a full service site? Spend as much time as you want.

-- Chuck
It doesn't take any more time to hook up a hose to the flush port. You'd have be one of those people who can only do one thing at a time if it takes additional time to screw in a hose and turn it on as the tanks drain. Mine is done before the gray tank can finish draining. Some of us like to start with a clean holding tank and working indicators. All sorts of folks have RVs these days, even ones who complain about things have have zero effect on them.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:44 AM   #16

Check your black tank flush vacuum breaker…mine leaked right off the hop, brand new trailer. I replaced it (plastic) with a commercial grade brass one - no issues since with any drips or leaking. I did however have an odor when running the bathroom fan…tracked it down to the same valve…which I had blew the line out to winterize but hadn’t used it yet this season. The fan was pulling black tank odor through the black tank flush line…easy fix though. Ran some water through the line.
JohnnyPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #17

Maybe try this? https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers.../dp/B005XEFADU
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, black, black tank, flush, rockwood, tank