Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #1

Rockwood 2608bs water pump access

I have a leak in the water pump compartment. I canít figure out how to open the cabinet door to access the water pump. There is a hinge on one side. When I grab the other side to force it open it just tries to pull the cabinet frame apart. Any suggestions?
Pkbirdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #2

Take the hinge off (unscrew it from the frame) or - if possible - slip the hinge pin out (though likely it's a captive hinge pin and not possible to slip out ).

They're using it as an "unopenable latch" to keep the panel shut.

Some of us have retrofit other closing mechanisms to the panel covering the water pump - I mounted cleats and installed velcro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 4.11.49 PM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	274025  
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Casual Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Take the hinge off (unscrew it from the frame) or - if possible - slip the hinge pin out (though likely it's a captive hinge pin and not possible to slip out ).

They're using it as an "unopenable latch" to keep the panel shut.

Some of us have retrofit other closing mechanisms to the panel covering the water pump - I mounted cleats and installed velcro.
Rhumblefish is correct, you have to unscrew that hinge (shown in the photo) to open that compartment. And I agree, it's a good idea to find a smarter way to keep the compartment closed than screwing it shut. I have yet to do mine, though.
RV - 2021 Rockwood 2608BS
Ex-tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Enjoying Life

On our 2608 we installed a magnetic latch in place of the hinge.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #5

Two engineers are sitting at their desks right now. One engineer says to the other one, "You see! I told you they would fall for the old prank of using a hinge to keep the door closed instead of allowing it to open!"

You know the engineers had to design that for no other reason than to mess with owners.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #6

The door opens by removing a screw (or two) with a square headed driver. It is not a big deal to me. I keep the driver in the trailer "tool bag". Have to get in there to change the filter and winterize/dewinterize.

Now to your leak itself. Most likely it is not the pump, but a hose connection. Changing the pump might "cure" the problem because the leaking fitting might get removed/replaced/retightened.

We have a 2019 2608bs and love it. After 2 seasons, we developed a leak in the water pump area. It evidenced itself by water on the floor outside the water pump compartment. When we were "hooked up" to city water, there was no leak.--only when operating on the pump. So, I assumed that it was the pump.

Turns out the discharge hose from the pump was leaking at fittings at both ends, giving the appearance that the pump was the problem. The hose was just a little bit too short. (2) seasons of jostling on the road had loosened the fittings so that they leaked when under pressure. On my unit it was a high quality hose with a barb fitting and hose clamp.

To find the leak(s), I taped paper towels to the hoses next to the fittings and then checked at regular intervals. Almost stopped after I found the first leak, but kept looking and found a total of (2) leaks--both ends of the same hose. We had an extended warranty and it was covered. Technician replaced the hose and fittings.

I have placed a battery operated water sensor on the floor of the water pump compartment to give me an early warning if another leak develops.
GoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
On our 2608 we installed a magnetic latch in place of the hinge.

Thatís what I did too. I also removed the water filter. I use a 2 stage filter system outside of the trailer.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkbirdog View Post
I have a leak in the water pump compartment. I canít figure out how to open the cabinet door to access the water pump. There is a hinge on one side. When I grab the other side to force it open it just tries to pull the cabinet frame apart. Any suggestions?
It's goofy. It's not really a hinge. Get the square bit and unscrew the right side of the door and it will open on the real hinges.

Hopefully your filter is just a little loose.

I leave the square screws out, it's crazy. That way I can get in there when I need to without the hassle.

Tags
2608bs, pump, rockwood, water, water pump