Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Rockwood 2703WS

Hi, Hello and Kia Ora
i have just joined this forum and wanted to say its been great reading so far.
I have just purchased a new 2018 Rockwood 2703WS and pick it up in 10 days or so ( I live here in New Zealand and it arrives soon on the ship from the States) and looking forward to some great travels in it.

Just wanted to hear some good and bad feed back on this model.... and is there anything i should pay particular attension to when i do the final inspection on it before i make final payment.

Thanks again and hello here from Down Under

Regards

Scotty
scottcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your Rockwood 2703WS!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Canadian Member

Welcome from the Toronto, Canada area and Kia Ora! I know we have a member from Australia here but I don’t recall seeing anyone from New Zealand.

There are a lot of Rockwood 2703WS owners here so if you search on that model you should see may threads on it. The Flagstaff 27RLWS is the sister model so you can search on that, too. Here is a thread on the Flagstaff model.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lws-53205.html
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

Welcome! You came to the right place. You’ll find a wealth of information and knowledge on this forum.

We’ve had our 2703WS almost two years now and have had very few problems. It’s never been back to the dealer. For the few problems we had, the dealer shipped us the parts and I changed them out.

On the wardrobe, making the doors bifold is a popular modification, if Forest River hasn’t already done it.

Congratulations and good luck!

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!

We spent 2 weeks in your wonderful country. Our favorite was Queenstown.
I did the Nevis Bungy, the wife parasailed over the city and we did the jet boats.

I think there is another Kiwi member here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcomes and replies .

yes i must admit that i do live in a beautiful country, thats one of the reasons my wife and myself chose to buy a roomy Rockwood, something nice and comfortable to tour our beautiful country in.
My wife and i have toured a bit of the States a couple of years back and must say that we loved every minute of it and had seen some amazing sights. One of my favourites was having a late lunch with a glass of wine beside my wife down in the Grand Canyon by the Colorado river.....breath taking!!!........ something i will never forget

Keep the feedback coming.

Scotty
Old 02-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Welcome from Saint Clair Shores, Michigan. My wife did her student teaching in New Zealand. While we love living in Michigan I’m currently running out of room to put all this snow we are getting! I am a Rockwood Roo owner and think you made a great choice going with a Rockwood.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
New to Forest River

We have a 2014 model. I'm not certain what changes they've made since then but I've done the following upgrades;
1. Removed the hanging rod from the wardrobe slide and added 2 shelves.
2. Removed the coat hanging area above the electricical panel and added 2 shelves to enlarge the pantry area.
3. Removed the fold out tray above the 3 drawers in the kitchen and added a 4th drawer.
4. Added a door pull to the panel beneath the right hand pantry door to create additional storage area.
5. Added SeeLevel II Tank Monitors for fresh, black and gray water tanks to provide more accurate reading of level in these tanks.
6. Added a Progressive Industries Electricity Monitoring System to proctect against damage from high/low voltage, power spikes and miss-wired electrical supply.
7. Added Tri-Metric TM 2030-RV battery monitoring system.
8. Added 2 6 volt Trojan T-105 batteries wired in series for addition amp hour capacity.

I would warn against using the zerk fittings on the hubs. I lubed my hubs, meticulously following the manufacturers instructions and wound up having to replace the brakes due leakage of grease around the seals. (Not covered under Warrantee.)

Overall I love this rig.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the warm welcomes and input guys, its greatly appreciated. Its now only a week away before our new 2703 is ready for delivery. It arrived in the country yesterday, so fingers crossed there are no delays.

Just for information sake, the Rockwood travel trailers that are imported here have some differences and changes done to them at the factory that are done to be more suited for the New Zealand market.

ours come with a fully galvanized trailer chassis, already set up wiring for 240 volt AC from the factory with 240 volt fridge/ freezer, microwave oven, air conditioner and sockets etc. BUT, we only get standard manual stablizers and tongue jacks. If we want the electric ones thats an extra cost. As for the rest of the caravan, its all the same.

Looking forward to it

Cheers Scotty
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcmb View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes and input guys, its greatly appreciated. Its now only a week away before our new 2703 is ready for delivery. It arrived in the country yesterday, so fingers crossed there are no delays.

Just for information sake, the Rockwood travel trailers that are imported here have some differences and changes done to them at the factory that are done to be more suited for the New Zealand market.

ours come with a fully galvanized trailer chassis, already set up wiring for 240 volt AC from the factory with 240 volt fridge/ freezer, microwave oven, air conditioner and sockets etc. BUT, we only get standard manual stablizers and tongue jacks. If we want the electric ones thats an extra cost. As for the rest of the caravan, its all the same.

Looking forward to it

Cheers Scotty
Do you guys in New Zealand drive on the left like they do in Australia? There's an Australian guy here on the forum with a 5ver that has his door and slides on the left side instead of the right. So it has to built that way from the beginning.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #11

Welcome! We have a 2016 2703WS and have had very few problems. We absolutely love it. The modifications I have done include; 2nd 12v deep cycle battery, oxygenics shower head, level mate, vent covers, mattress topper, and a few other small things (coat hooks etc). I did need to have a stabilizer jack repaired, the magnetic strip on the shower door comes apart (gorilla glue works), a window opener broke and they mail me the part under warranty, small cosmetic repairs of the trim inside etc. Overall though we have about 15,000 towing miles on it and 80 or so camping days. We use it a lot all year long and it performs very well.

Someone earlier mentioned trifold doors on the wardrode.... I need to look into that. That aspect of the bedroom is a pain in the butt!

Have fun!!

Marty
Old 02-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Do you guys in New Zealand drive on the left like they do in Australia? There's an Australian guy here on the forum with a 5ver that has his door and slides on the left side instead of the right. So it has to built that way from the beginning.
Yep we drive on the same side as Australia, but here in New Zealand the rules for Caravan construction is not as strict as Australia. The door is still on the right side the same as the States

Scotty
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #13

Also removed spacers from window tracks so they will open more.

Added a laundry chute on the right side of the bed.

Installed a hardwired Progressive EMS.

Installed backup sensors (homemade system) on black and grey tanks. The OEM sensors are almost useless. Adding two gallons to the empty black tank turned on the 1/3 full LED.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood