Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

rockwood 8265ws

Hi; New to the forum. Have been looking into buying a rockwood 8265ws. Can anyone tell me what they think of this model. Is it 1/2ton towable? Live in Canada and dealer prices are much higher than some of the sites I have been looking at on the internet. Could you recommend a wholesaler to me. Would have to pick up the trailer in North Dakota or Montana. Is this a problem? Also how would the warranty work? thanks.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
Hi; New to the forum. Have been looking into buying a rockwood 8265ws. Can anyone tell me what they think of this model. Is it 1/2ton towable? Live in Canada and dealer prices are much higher than some of the sites I have been looking at on the internet. Could you recommend a wholesaler to me. Would have to pick up the trailer in North Dakota or Montana. Is this a problem? Also how would the warranty work? thanks.

Hi and welcome to Forest River Forum.
I have a 8365WS which is similiar but your has an additional slideout.
My thoughts about pulling with a 1/2 ton is that it would be under powered and under weight for fulling this. I have a 3/4 ton and I feel comfortable with my wheel base as well as my weight. My dry tongue weith is almost exactly the same but you must remember that number rises as you load the trailer up. So you should see how a 3/4 tom will do you better.

Here is the specs on your 8265WS 5th wheel from the Forest River Site.

Model 8265WS

Dry Hitch Weight1,121 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight6,660 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)9,015 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity1,900 lbs.
Exterior Length28 ft. 10 in.
Exterior Height11 ft. 3 in.
Exterior Width96 in.
Fresh Water Capacity 43 Gal.
Gray Water Capacity38 Gal.
Black Water Capacity38 Gal.
Awning Size10 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8265WS.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	3257  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

We just bought an 8265S...same unit but without the wardrobe slide...we wanted a longer awning. We love the unit, have had a few minor issues, and I am currently trying to solve why I am blowing the 30 amp fuses for the slides periodically.

We found that the kitchen cupboard space was a little lacking so we ordered our unit without the oven...we never use the oven anyway.

We too are from Canada and bought in the U.S. We found a dealer in Minnisota and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The import process was a breeze and the dollar savings would offset any warranty issues that could crop up.

I pull with a 3/4 ton diesel and it pulls great, I would recommend 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton. I prefer to have more truck than trailer.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

andes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post

This is very similar to my 8526RLWS in gross weight and unloaded pin weight. I pull it with a 3/4 ton diesel GMC Sierra. Loaded for travel, TV and camper, my TV is grossed out at 9,200 pounds. This would destroy your 1/2 ton IMO. If it worked; your gas mileage would be about 2MPG for as long as it lasted.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

I've been pulling my 8265s with my Nissan Titan. The 8265s has less king pin weight than the 8265ws which was why I purchased that model. Since I got it in April we've been on 3 trips here in Florida and towed it up to Boone, N.C.. Even load, I have no problems towing our unit. I seem to have plenty of power and no problems with swaying, even doing 65mph. It was a little slow going in the mountains on some very steep inclines but I made it and would do it again. It works fine for me now but do I have plans to buy a 3/4 in the future.
skylarcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood