Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #1

Rockwood 8289 WS Fifth Wheel

Hello, new to this forum ,but not to camping. We are picking up 2013 Rockwood ultra lite fifth wheel on Friday. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with this camper. Thanks in Advance
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Rockwood ultra lite.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Moment

Picked ours up in March, been out a few times no real problems so far. Our awnings are on the recall list , waiting for the mobile repair to be done. We love the floor plan .
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Moment

Forgot to mention, our living room a/c was not working properly, Coleman sent a new one to our local repair facility and was replaced right away.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Welcome and congrats Hammerhead.

We got ours last July. Had to send it back to the factory for a problem with the floor in the curb side slide. They also addressed a bent fresh water tank support while it was there. We had a recall on the skylight. Over all we are pretty happy with the unit. Up to this point we have been pretty happy with the dealer we bought from as well as Rockwood warranty. They have all been very helpful and accommodating. I believe you can and will have issues with any brand. The tell of a good product is how well the company stands behind the product.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

Hey Jeepman,
What issue with slide ? The floor on mine with slide out out feels kind of " fragile ".I also have an ongoing issue with seal on that slide, working with dealer on that one. Have not engaged revolution yet. Are any of you guys using it and how do you like it ? I will have to research awning recall, not aware of one.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
Hey Jeepman,
What issue with slide ? The floor on mine with slide out out feels kind of " fragile ".I also have an ongoing issue with seal on that slide, working with dealer on that one. Have not engaged revolution yet. Are any of you guys using it and how do you like it ? I will have to research awning recall, not aware of one.
I have and been using my revolution since I got the unit in 2012, have put over 10,000 miles on it. My only real complaint is the tires, I had a blow out after 6,000 miles. got lucky and I didn't get any damage. now I have Marathons D rated. The c rated stock tires are maxed out and like everyone say's are garbage. Had no real problems to complain about. Had a converter go out but that was the only major thing. It's a great camper to tow and you really forget it's behind you. "HAPPY AND SAFE TRAVELS TO YOU".........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Moment

ELKHART, Ind., May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dometic USA, a manufacturer of high quality products for the RV industry, announced that it has identified a potential condition related to its 9100 Power Awnings, Weatherpro Awnings and Motor Service Kits and has initiated a recall and replacement of all the affected power awning units.
In April 2013, the Company had determined that if an important step was bypassed in the installation of the power awnings, this could potentially damage the awning's motor. As a result, if damage does occur to the motor, the awning can unfurl unexpectedly, while the coach or vehicle is at rest or in transit.
This potential condition affects only the power awning products manufactured between February 13, 2013, (306XXXXX serial #) through April 9, 2013, (314XXXXX serial #). The serial # appears on a label on the right underside of the fabric and on the roller tube. On the power awning field Motor Service Kit the serial # appears on the end cap of the shipping tube.
On April 19, 2013, Dometic notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a NHTSA campaign number of 13E-019 has been assigned. All RV manufacturers which purchased power awning units included in the recall are also expected to issue notification to NHTSA per federal regulations.
Once Dometic investigated early reports in April, the Company was able to reproduce a failure mode only after changing the sequence of installation steps in the power awning installation process. After this discovery, the Company notified its extensive OEM and dealer base of the problem and provided specific instructions on how to handle it and secure a replacement unit.
The Company has identified 27,098 affected units and started replacing units with new awning motor kits even before the official recall notice was issued. The Company has advised its OEMs and aftermarket dealers to call a toll-free number at 1-888-943-4905 for specific replacement instructions. End-user customers are still being notified directly by the company's dealers.
Dometic has also told its aftermarket dealers to instruct their end-user customers not to drive their RV's if the recalled power awnings have been installed on their vehicles. End-user customers who believe their RV may be affected by this recall can obtain specific instructions on how to make the determination or obtain repair by calling the toll–free number 1-888-943-4905.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

Picked mine up in mid-may. So far the only issue was that the landing gear bolt on the motor side must have been loose and sheared off by striking the motor itself. Had to move the one from the other side and use a screwdriver to replace that one until I could get the trailer off the truck and get into town to get replacement bolts. Otherwise, very happy with it thus far. Once in a while the curb side slide pops when you go to sit at the dining table but nothing failing as yet. Glad that I opted for the 50amp/dual a/c's. If you have the diamond package, that darker color absorbs a lot of heat.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #10

Mike,

The floor in mine felt a little spongy or weak when I stepped out toward the outer wall. I took it to the dealer last November for repair on the gray tank sensors. I wanted to give them a list of problems and listed the floor just because. They checked it and called FR explaining there was a major issue with the floor. FR questioned their oppinion and asked for a photo. They called the dealer inside the hour after the photo was sent saying they would be sending a transport to pick up the trailer to have the slide repaired. I honestly didn't really think there was a problem but thought I would have them look at it just in case. I don't know what the problem was but FR thought it needed immediate attention. They did what they did and it feels much better now. I have not had any problems slide seals.

I started using a slider on my hitch when I got the trailer last year and ingaged the Revolution at the beginnin of this year. I wish I had saved my money and just used the Revolution. It works great.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

x2 on the Revolution! I had them activate it before I picked it up. I read the posts on here about how happy people were with it. So, I just had a regular hitch installed and use the revolution. I've had to make some tight turns back into a camping spot and never got anywhere near the back of the cab.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Paul & Sheri

Minor problems. The air mattress on the couch leaked and the dealer had a new one in about two weeks. My Genesis radio after a month of use won't shut off completely. I read about many problems with them so I simply put a switch on the powerwire,
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
Minor problems. The air mattress on the couch leaked and the dealer had a new one in about two weeks. My Genesis radio after a month of use won't shut off completely. I read about many problems with them so I simply put a switch on the powerwire,

I find that my Genesis radio has poor reception. Is yours the same way?
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post

Some of the folks with Sabres are finding that the FM antenna is just balled up and laying behind the radio. I read someone tied the FM radio into the over-the-air rooftop antenna (BarryD0706, I think) to get better reception.

Might be worth pulling the radio and seeing what's up.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:

We too have terrible FM reception on our 2013 Flagstaff. Can only get one station static-free. We have a Genesis unit. Sounds great with CDs.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
I do find that. Even the weather stations are weak when a hand held works. I'm impressed with what it's supposed to be but not impressed with it's performance at all.

I have used the DVD a couple of times but I mostly use it for the Satellite radio amp.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
Owner/Operator

See post #17 in this thread. It details how to use your roof (batwing) antenna for the Genesis, and it makes a world of difference.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #18

Welcome to the forum. We picked up our 2013 on October 2012. Have no problems other than recall on skylights. Was at the dealers for two weeks though. All and all a great 5er.
ARNIE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
See post #17 in this thread. It details how to use your roof (batwing) antenna for the Genesis, and it makes a world of difference.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

RodeoGeorge

Direct link to post #17 since I went looking for it anyway..