Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

Rockwood 8289WS

I just purchased a new 8289WS fiver pin weight approx 1500 lbs and GVWR 10,400 lbs. I also purchased a 2017 gmc 2500 Denali duramax L5p. Using a Andersen ultimate 5th connection aluminum hitch. I like the ease of hooking up compared to my previous Windjammer 3008ws and husky centerline sway centering hitch. The truck also has a set of Timbren SES suspension kits. We find the truck sits a bit high for the fiver to be level even with the hitch at it's lowest position . FR has made a specific lift kit for this fiver free. Just have to pay for the labour. This has been a issue with all new trucks sitting higher. So far it tows well no chucking and the ability for the ball to yaw in all directions allowed easy parking of my unit on my seasonal site which has a short but medium steep slope where my rear truck wheels hit and the truck bed and trailer touch. But luckily the fiver is on the level ground for the landing gear.
Does anyone have this setup fiver and TV and towing experience. Heading to Florida this winter, depending on Irma. We lost our rv park in Port Aransas due to Harvey. Not lucky thus year so far. Hurricanes following us lol!

Cheers Rick
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #2

Don't have your particular setup, but with that truck and trailer, you are good to go anywhere in the country. You have all the power you'll need and the trailer can be taken just about anywhere. Good luck and have a blast!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Had the same concern as you with the height of our F350. We were able to lower the hitch down one notch to level out the 8289WS. Yesterday I installed the wedge for the Revolution hitch function. While I still had the two units hooked up I took measurements to compare with what I have read in these forums. I have six inches of clearance at the bed rails to the bottom of the camper. I used a level along the side of the camper and it shows I am level when hooked up. Did not pull out of the shed to make sure the revolution hitch is set up right. My biggest concern now is the 4.0 leveling system we have. The jacks behind the rear trailer tires seem very low to me when they are retracted. New to this type of leveling system so maybe worried for no reason.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Should be no problem, except on uneven roads where I bump or small hill could bottom out the back jacks. But that would have to be almost off road, roads. You can inquire about the the lift kit at FR and then decide. One option on the lift kit is it will allow you to go up to 16" wheels to use a higher load rating above E which is the max on 15" wheels. But have to watch your total clearance for TV doesn't exceed 13'. I am upgrading the tires to Goodyear endurance load E. It gives me at least a 20% load safety margin.

Cheers Rick
Old 09-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #5

Who do you call for this lift kit?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I required the lift kit on my 8289WS for my F 150. Surprisingly the F250 had a lower box height by 1.5 inches. The kit was free and installed free at the Goshen Rally.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Who do you call for this lift kit?
My dealer called FR and he got it from them directly.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #8

No idea other than lift kit for our 8289, it is at my dealer. Having it installed net week. Sorry
Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
I just purchased a new 8289WS fiver pin weight approx 1500 lbs and GVWR 10,400 lbs. I also purchased a 2017 gmc 2500 Denali duramax L5p. Using a Andersen ultimate 5th connection aluminum hitch. I like the ease of hooking up compared to my previous Windjammer 3008ws and husky centerline sway centering hitch. The truck also has a set of Timbren SES suspension kits. We find the truck sits a bit high for the fiver to be level even with the hitch at it's lowest position . FR has made a specific lift kit for this fiver free. Just have to pay for the labour. This has been a issue with all new trucks sitting higher. So far it tows well no chucking and the ability for the ball to yaw in all directions allowed easy parking of my unit on my seasonal site which has a short but medium steep slope where my rear truck wheels hit and the truck bed and trailer touch. But luckily the fiver is on the level ground for the landing gear.
Does anyone have this setup fiver and TV and towing experience. Heading to Florida this winter, depending on Irma. We lost our rv park in Port Aransas due to Harvey. Not lucky thus year so far. Hurricanes following us lol!

Cheers Rick
When I changed trucks to the Ram the RV was about 5" nose high and added several hundred pounds to the rear wheels on the RV at the scales. These RV's have torsion axels and do not equalize the weight the way sprung axels do. I bought a lift kit from Dexter $200.00 and installed it on the 5er raising it 2-5/8". Now truck and trailer ride level. I would recommend the lift for a level setup.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about buying a Chevy 2500 HD. Found out the 2018 have a mounting plate installed in the bed that will only take a Curt 5th wheel hitch, that will not work with a revolution, plus I would need a lift kit. Has anyone ran into this problem?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Buy a Ford and order Reese puck system. Compatible with Reese hitches and Revolution or Sidewinder in my case. Not a Chevy
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about buying a Chevy 2500 HD. Found out the 2018 have a mounting plate installed in the bed that will only take a Curt 5th wheel hitch, that will not work with a revolution, plus I would need a lift kit. Has anyone ran into this problem?
Why will that not work? I have a Curt hitch and it works great with the revolution on my 8289. Just be sure to buy the Curt wedge, the universal wedge that comes with the revolution doesn't work so well.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
Why will that not work? I have a Curt hitch and it works great with the revolution on my 8289. Just be sure to buy the Curt wedge, the universal wedge that comes with the revolution doesn't work so well.
Well that is strange, got that from e trailer. Maybe someone there didn't know what they were talking about, I'll have to call back thanks for the info... Also did you need to install a lift kit? I see you have a Ram. Edit, I see here where they got it from Quote from e-trailer.....At one time, the Curt Q16 fifth wheel hitches weren't compatible with the Reese Sidewinder/Revolution, but now that Curt has developed a wedge that's compatible, part # C16992, it's perfectly acceptable to use the Curt Q16 hitch, like part # C16120. The wedge isn't compatible with the Q20 or Q24 fifth wheel hitches, so it's not recommended to use either of those in conjunction with the Revolution/Sidewinder. A Reese Revolution/Sidewinder wouldn't normally be used with a sliding hitch,...
view full answer...

Old 09-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Well that is strange, got that from e trailer. Maybe someone there didn't know what they were talking about, I'll have to call back thanks for the info... Also did you need to install a lift kit? I see you have a Ram

I have the Curt E16 Hitch and funny thing I got the wedge from etrailer... Someone there doesn't know what they are talking about. Here is the link to the wedge for the E series hitches from etrailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/30861.html

The A series...
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C16992.html

No I did not install the lift kit. I am fairly level with my setup as is and did not feel the need to add it. Have not had any problems in the last 2 yrs.

Also I found if you have a 6 1/2ft bed you do not need the sidewinder engaged. I read a FRF post stating if you have the 6.5ft bed you do no need to engage it. So this year I decided to try it and guess what, I don't need it and the nose doesn't even come close to the back of the cab.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood