Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Question Rockwood 8296SS... switches unknown : /

hi,
just picked up a 07 Rockwood 8296SS floorplan travel trailer...but we can't seem to identify what 'certain' unlabeled switched might be for...maybe other owners of this or similar FR models can help ....

the photos show several that are circled:

First) Main set near entry door, neither seem to do anything(no outside or inside lights)...I believe the 'Tank Heater' is referring to a 12v heating pad for the holding tanks, maybe.

Second) undercabinet switches in the kitchen, the left is the 'outside' light above the entry door. The right doesn't seem to operate anything...

Third) above toilet in bathroom, the left operates all the lights and fantastic fan, as a 'master switch', but the other doesn't seem to do anything...

also, all of the fuses are operating correctly, and no 'red' light is next to any of them... : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	()master switches, unknown.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	230740   Click image for larger version

Name:	()kitchen switche, unknown.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	230741   Click image for larger version

Name:	() batch switch, unknown.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	230742  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #2

hi...
Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

again...
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #4

I can't figure out my switches, either!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

I don't have your model trailer but thought I'd share my thoughts.

First I would start with looking to see if there any lights or features that are not working in the rv?

Then proceed with checking all bulbs and pull the switches from the wall to confirm that they are being utilized and have power?

Additionally, some lights have a switch that is integrated into the light but also have a wall switch. Have you confirmed that all lights with integrated switches are in the on position?

My thoughts on what some of the switches might do:
The first set of switches I would imagine control an exterior light. Maybe a small step light or an amber patio light. The third switch I believe that you are correct in your thinking that the red switch is for a tank heater.
The second set of switches my guess would be that one is for a light in the kitchen area and the other is for your fresh water holding tank pump.
The last set of switches that are in the bathroom. In my bathroom I have a 2 switch setup like you. One of the switches operates 1 light and the fantastic fan and the other operates a light above the sink.

Not sure any of this helps but I wish you the best of luck with figuring it out.

Tom
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

thanks for the feedback...here are some testing feedback:

First photo) the LEFT switch controls the light, right above it, but ONLY if the light's own switch is left in the 'ON' position. Good to know.
For the RIGHT switch, it controls the 'small' outside light, right at the top left of the entry door. Also good to know : ) (but, what's confusing is that there is also another large round 'scare' light, on the OTHER side of the outside entry, controlled by the 'Right' switch under the Sink's upper cabinet! Weird placement.

Second photo) the LEFT switch, the other one now in question under the sink's upper cabinet....AHAA! I think I've figured this one out: O.k. since those first two switches in question controlled 'lights', with two of them 'outside' lights, I decided that just maybe there is ANOTHER outside light I didn't even think of.... one that is right at the front left of the hitch! But, while this one would 'seem' to be something to do with the 'trailer' aspect of the RV, while towing, it's actually another 'outdoor' light that you can turn on with the LEFT switch, above the sink. Now, 'why' that light is there is another story - maybe so you can illuminate the 'front' of the RV is company is stopping by, along with the large 'scare' light AND the entry light? Probably. The reason I haven't seen this light come 'ON' is because it has no bulb, not even a cover.... down to the auto parts store for a bulb! Thanks for helping 'lead' me to this discovery : )
(by the way, yes, it would make some sense that a 'Water Pump' switch might be located here, after all, if you are off-grid and need water at the sink it would be the 'prime' place to locate one, right? No. It's not. The only Water Pump switch is at the entry door, part of the 'Micro Monitor' for the tank readings.. Go figure.

Third) the RIGHT side switch in the bathroom works both the ceiling RV light, if left in the ON position, the above-sink light bar, IF left in the ON position, AND the Fantastic Fan, IF left in the ON(1,2,3) setting AND the vent is left OPEN, BUT, the LEFT side switch is still in QUESTION...
Again, another place that you might think would be a convenient place for a second Water Pump switch, but NO, it's not.
Wouldn't you know it, there's ANOTHER large round 'Scare' light on the OPPOSITE side of the RV, which you'd never see, and the light had a burnt bulb! Crazy, but now we know!
: )

all these are 'figured out' now...thanks for you prompting me to go to greater length in 'testing' what they operate - now, though, I might just want to 'switch' some of these switches since the 'side' they are on is not conducive to what you might 'think' they control!

See ya in the funny papers! : )

Tags
rockwood, switch