Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

rockwood 8313ss carpet

I was curious, if I wanted to replace the carpet in my rockwood 8313ss, does rockwood supply carpet pre-cut (in particular, for the slides). I know that the slides have some special finish work on the carpet ends where they slide over the normal floor carpet. Any idea how much it runs to have the carpet replaced in these?

I noticed that some of the carpet goes under different pieces of furniture, how does one manage dealing with this? remove the furniture?
davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am interested to see if anyone has any input. I have the same rig, and based on how quickly the carpet is wearing I will need to replace mine in a couple of years.

As for removing furniture, my guess is the couches and dinette benches are bolted to the floor. Removing them should allow you to pull up the carpet. The bedroom is a different matter. I think I would just carpet around the bed.

Once you have removed the carpet, you should be able to have a carpet store cut pieces to size and have the edges sewn like rugs to keep them from fraying.

Good luck!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #3

I have an 8313ss and noticed that the carpet is also under the bed. When you lift the bed there is a storage area and it is carpeted. Good luck with what ever you find out.
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

David, I don't know if the carpet is pre-cut. It may be at factory installation.

Personally, I can't see having carpet in a camper at all. My living area carpet looked bad after only a year of use, so I removed it. Click here
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #5

Great link, I am considering do the 'fake wood' vinyl flooring and just remove the carpet all together.

I bought this 2007 from a dealer and it had clear plastic covering the carpet, drove it home 600 miles and removed the plastic a few days later and it stinks like wet dog! and is worn (not happy with myself for overlooking that, just figured a 2007 would be in good shape).

Any how, only thing I worry about is resale, people may see the carpet is removed and think water leak.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #6

Dated photos before and after should help dispell water damage fear.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

I did what milzat did. I removed the carpet from the rear section of my 8313 and the flooring under it looks just fine. Turns out the padding was damp under the carpet probably from being over shampoo'd and then having plastic put on top of it where it couldn't dry out.

The carpet was nasty and honestly, it looks just as good to me (unless you look for staple holes, hard to see.), just need to buy a few pieces of trim. I just cut along the edge where it went under the slide out, which is under the slide's carpet flap anyway.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Bad news (I guess I should have researched a bit more), the slide digs into the linoleum and tore it a bit. For now, a couple of rubber backed bathroom mats fix it.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl340 View Post
Bad news (I guess I should have researched a bit more), the slide digs into the linoleum and tore it a bit. For now, a couple of rubber backed bathroom mats fix it.
Oh, forgot to tell you. Place a section of old carpet under the outer edges of the slide before retracting. It'll protect the Linoleum. Sorry 'bout that.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8313ss, rockwood