Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #1

Rockwood 8315 SS

I have a Salem LE 26FLS and I'm looking at a 8315 SS. Just wondering how the Rockwoods hold up. Has anyone had any problems, other than the normal ones? The quality sure seems alot better than my Salem.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #2

i have an 8296 SS just like a 8315 but a 2foot shorter and we just love our camper this will be our 3rd year to camp in it No real problem so far been a real good one. Well i take that back it does have a concertone peice of crap in it only had to replace once so far. all in all a real good camper
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I've read about the concertone problems. Maybe they've produced a better product by now. Glad to hear of no other problems after 3 years.
We've had our Salem for 2½ years and we've replaced the bath tub, grey water valve, regulator at the lp tanks, a couple of mini blinds, a few gutter spouts, a door holder, outside oven vent cover and half of the siding due to a hail storm, not Forest River's fault but still a pain.
I've also replaced a door knob and have done a few repairs inside where screws have came out. I try to take good care of the trailer, but it's getting to be pain to constantly do all of the little repairs. I hope that the Rockwood will be better quality.
I notice they have a vinyl roof. Is this different than the rubber roof?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

I have the Rockwood 8280SS. Reasonably problem free. No leaks. Everything works. It will be lighter than the same sized Salem I bet.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #5

The roof on mine is kind of textured it is real easy to clean i just use a brush and whatever i am cleaning the camper with, like any kind of car wash soap and rinse it well come nice and clean
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #6

Smile

We have the 8315BSS and are very happy with it. Spent 36 nights last year and hope to do about the same this year. Our concertone so far is working just fine. One issue that we had was the fresh water tank had to be replaced. When camping without hookups it would only pump down to half a tank. The other issue is with the A&E electric awning collecting water. When I had the fresh water tank replaced I spoke with the service manager about this and he said that A&E has an replaceable adjustable arm (free) for that and ordered one for me. Other then those two issues everything else is just fine and we are both very happy campers. I'm sure that you will enjoy your move to a Rockwood.
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

Also don't forget that Flagstaff is the exact same trailer, save colors and a few bits of trim. That widens your choice of dealer when you are trying to beat the price down!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

Thanks all for your replies. it's nice to know that the Rockwoods are good quality. I believe I've found a pretty good deal on one. Built one on one of the wholesalers web site and I'm within $1,200 of their price. I also got the Equlizer hitch thrown in. Trading my old w/d hitch with a friction sway bar for it.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my slide quit working. Part of the deal is I buy the part and they do the work.

nycamper, I liked the 83215BSS with the bedroom slide. Just a few more dollars and little more weight so I went with the 8315SS.

radio, I looked at some comparable Flagstaffs. The ones I seen had the white enterior, I like the wood. Also that particular dealer couldn't match the price of the Rockwood.

chevyo2, I'll check that roof out Friday. That's when we'll sign the papers if we take the deal. I'm guessing we will, just too nice a trailer to pass up.

This one has the sliding bins in the pass through compartment. I really like that feature. Does yours have it and how is it working for you?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #9

I like the rear sliding compartment it works out great it also has one in the front i kinda wish it wasnt there as it limits what you can store in it.I like using the front one to store extra drinks , it nice to have it close to the cooler when you need to fill up the cooler i may try and take it out this spring but the rear one is really nice
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
radio, I looked at some comparable Flagstaffs. The ones I seen had the white enterior, I like the wood. Also that particular dealer couldn't match the price of the Rockwood.
The white interior is an option. Or it used to be, maybe the Flagstaff has the wood as an option. But as of 6 months ago you could get which ever one you wanted. I don't care for the white either. Enjoy the hunt for your trailer!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #11

We purchased an 8317SS last February and it has had nothing but problems. You name it, it's been replaced. We had it in the dealership for repairs more times than we had it out camping. I love Rockwood, but so far I have been very disappointed. I know others that have purchased the Rockwood and have had no problems. Maybe we were just one of the lucky ones that received a lemon! I'm hoping for a better camping season this year. I can't imagine there is anything left to fix or replace on it.
aharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #12

radio,
I believe your right about the white being an option, it's just they didn't have any I was interested in with the wood interior on their lot.
The dealer I'm working with, Jamatt Rv Sales in Poteau, Ok, was named one of the top 50 dealers in the country this past year, if that means anything. They are low pressure and friendly. The dealer I bought from before doesn't have anything I'm interested in and only tries to sell me something on their lot. They didn't seem interested in what I wanted or trying to find one.
Check out jamattrv.com and look up the asking price on the 8315ss. I really can't find any other dealer close by that can match it.
In your area you may be able to match it or even beat it, but I haven't be able to in my area.

aharrison,
Sorry to hear about all your problems, but from what I'm reading the good out weights the bad when it comes to the Rockwood. Hope you have a good dealer that takes care of you. I know what you mean about having a problem every time you turn around. That's what I'm experiencing now. When I checked out the Rockwood I looked in every cabinet, checked to see if how the doors opened and shut. Wiggled things to see if they were lose, etc... There really was a night and day difference in quality compared to my Salem. Good luck and hopefully everything is fixed and you'll have a great year camping.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
The SAND Group

We've got the 8314SS and love it. It's our second trailer and had it about a year now. Our concertone TV went out but FR replaced it with a Venturer model. Unfortunately they replaced a 20" tv with a 19" tv. Was a little miffed at first but got over it. Otherwise trailer has been a dream!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #14

Good to hear ndsd, signing order paperwork tomorrow for ours, hope to have it in 6-8 weeks!

Days camped in 2009: 6
Days camped in 2010: 4
cwarren78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #15

I took my wife today to look at the TT. We signed the papers, came home and cleaned out the Salem and will head out in the morning to pick up the new one.

ndsd,
We met some people at the dealership who bought a 8314ss 3 months ago. They said they had a 5ver for years and love the new trailer. Brought it in today to have an electric jack put on.

cwarren78,
Congrats on the new trailer. Bet thats gonna be a long 6-8 weeks. Just kidding. You can past the time planning that first trip.

Good luck all and happy camping!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I have a Salem LE 26FLS and I'm looking at a 8315 SS. Just wondering how the Rockwoods hold up. Has anyone had any problems, other than the normal ones? The quality sure seems alot better than my Salem.
I have a 2007 8315SS and love it. If I waited until 2008 I probably would have bought the 8315BSS w/ the bed slide. However, the 8315SS actually has more storeage. The rear storeage goes across the length of the trailer. I took out the plastic sliding thing and the rails and boy I got tons of storeage. It also helps with countering your hitch weight. I can roll up my outdoor carpet and it fits perfectly in the rear storeage. The 8315BSS loses that full length storage. I've had some minor issues, but RVWholesale allowed me to have them repaired at a local RV dealership. So far no major issues w/ my Concertone AV system. It does make a loud pop sound in the speakers when a DVD starts to play, but other than that, OK.
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #17

opcop,
I looked at the 8315bss but decided on the 8315ss. The bed slide looked good but I'm only in there at night to sleep so I don't actually need the room as much as the extra space the pass thru storage gives us.
I took it out last weekend for a "test run". Everything worked great except a small leak with the black tank rinse. Something that should be easy to fix.
We have the table and chairs and my wife and I really like it better than the booth.
Really loved the front kitchen and the living space. When you open that front window cover and the shades over the stove, it really gives you a nice view.
Caught a few crappie which made for a good supper for our first outing. I guess I broke her in the right way.
As I stated in an earlier post, I had to re-do my hitch. The truck and camper set level and I had no issues while towing. I was passed by a few semis and they didn't suck me over so I was pleased.

Spring is almost here, winter's almost over, the crappie are biting so lets all go camping!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #18

new hampshire

rockwood uses a vinyl roof,it has a textured surface and a better warranty than robber
hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #19

Thanks for the reply, hoody.
The salesman I talked to went over how to care for the roof and his instructions were the same as the rubber roof. I looked in my manuels and have found nothing, so I'm a little confused on the maintenance.
I have been on top of the trailer and looked it over. A lot different than the rubber roof on my Salem.
Do you know of any particular care that's needed for the vinyl roof that's different from the rubber roof?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #20

We have a 2009 9317SS. The only problems we've had are minor. There was an issue with the heater, one small part needed to be replace or needed to be switched, can't remember which.

The other issue is with the cable connection. The cable was very fuzzy. Apparently this was a problem for many of the new Forest River models. There was a bad connector. We just got it back from the dealer, we have no idea whether it's fixed or not. Neither we not the dealer have a cable hookup. We'll find out when we take our first trip. Either that, or ask the neighbor if we can hook up a 100 foot cable to their house!

2009 Rockwood 8317SS
2008 Ford F150
justthe5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood