Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Bike Rack for Pick Up Pulling TT

There's a lot of discussion about the problems with installing a bike rack on the rear of a TT. I have a 5ver now, but on our previous RV (Keystone Passport) I built a bike rack out of 2x4's that sat in the bed of my F150. This was a weekend project that really turned out great. The bikes were very secure and I always knew right where they were. I only designed it for 2 bikes, but you could add additional framing and carry 4 bikes. One of the vertical 2x4s is bolted at the bottom of the frame with one screw and pivots and locks the tire to the adjacent tire down with a thumb screw. Hope this provides some alternate ideas how to carry your bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	41551  

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Happy Campers

Same Same

We've got a 2014 Microlite 21fbrs and we have the same issue. We bought the extra year of warranty and we were told that we could not mount a receiver on the rear bumper.

My brother got around it by having a ladder installled and getting a ladder mounted bike rack. Kind of a costly work around though.
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #23

well, I enjoyed reading all the comments,,,,( not really ) and called FR ...the answer---
DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK....it will void the warranty !!!

So I went home last night and removed the sucker

They also said that hanging a bike rack on the ladder could cause a problems as well

so?? where does that say anything like that on the tools that sell that stuff for RV's ??
seems to me the ladder racks ought to have a disclaimer, as well as the bolt on hitches etc, etc,,,, any lawyers out there???
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #24

Scubadoc, you may just want to call Lippert (pretty sure they are the frame manufacturer) and talk to their warranty/tech folks. They even sell fold down bike racks and hitches to mount on their frames. The load limit is very small, but at least they sell it to mate to their frames. You could discuss your desire for a bike rack and concerns about warranty with them too. They are very nice folks. I've talked with them before. Just a thought.
Lippert website Lippert Components, Inc
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #25

I guess the disclaimers for said bike racks/ladder racks should be in the Rockwood brochure sales literature. Maybe they are. Seems to me Rockwood could design in a dedicated bike rack to buy as optional equipment that would not cause problems and make them want to void the warranty.

It would have to be mounted differently than in the receiver hitch style racks. Why? For sure, someone would eventually tow a trailer or boat back there and do damage.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Be sure too remove the Fac.Decal that is on the Bumper (Do NOT place Hitch on bumper) first! Youroo!!
This one?

Name:	ForumRunner_20131024_115612.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	41686
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #27

that's pretty cool sticker,,,,shame it's not on my 8289
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
Camper Less Camping

Name:	image-3812428425.jpg
Views:	9259
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	41687

I hear your woes about bike's on bumpers, one of many reasons we chose our Sabre, great factory bike/storage rack...you think more RV builders would include this in their builds...Who doesn't take bikes with them camping...some but most of us do

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #29

and how does that attach??
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
Camper Less Camping

It's bolted & welded to an extension of the frame that holds the flimsy bumper.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #31

I have always had bike racks on the back of 5th wheels but along came my current 2008 rockwood ultra light 5th with the thinnest gauge bumper I have ever seen. My solution-I took a sawzall and cut it off and replaced it with a1/4" gauge 4x4 and along with a couple of short pieces of metal it was welded and bolted on to the frame. The cost of the metal was $95. The positive-a simple solution and it doesn't twist and will never fall off. The negative-adds a little weight and the end caps won't fit (I had to glue them on). Don't rely on 1/16th " metal and a couple of tack welds. Not safe with the leverage stress of a bike rack. The bike rack is like a pry bar with the weight of the bikes pushing down on it.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #32

PS-I have also triple towed a 2500# boat with my new heavy duty bumper.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Had my 2014 Rockwood 8280 back to the dealer for some minor warranty items this week. I talked to the service rep about installing a receiver style hitch to the frame so that I could install a bike carrier on it. He said that they do a few of those a year and it would not be a problem to have one fabricated and welded to the frame. I mentioned that I did not want to jeopardize my warranty (instruction manual says to contact Rockwood prior to any bumper or frame mods). He said he would check with the factory on it.

I decided to call the factory myself. Talked to a rep in the Warranty office and he said that they do not give permission for receiver hitches added to the trailer. Furthermore, if you do have an issue (i.e., cracked wall, bent frame) they would look at the hitch as the cause and disallow any warranty claim. He stated there was no legitimate way for me to have that hitch and be covered under warranty, if and when it was needed.

So, I will be looking at other creative ways to take our bikes with us.
I have the same trailer and have planned to carry our bikes inside on the master bed. I walked one up the stairs and it cleared the walls due to the wide width of the stairwell. I planned on laying a heavy tarp on the bed and placing the pedals in boxes. Not the most convenient way, but secure and uses space not occupied.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #34

I found an aftermarket bike rack in the web-shop of Lippert. Lippert is the producer of many FR frames. But there is no mentioning for what type of frames or TT or 5th wheel this product can be used. It is a bit heavy on the $ by the way. Over 700 $!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-64824833.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	41731  
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I have the same trailer and have planned to carry our bikes inside on the master bed. I walked one up the stairs and it cleared the walls due to the wide width of the stairwell. I planned on laying a heavy tarp on the bed and placing the pedals in boxes. Not the most convenient way, but secure and uses space not occupied.
We do that with our dinette table. We use "NeatSheets" between each layer of bikes and strollers and stuff.

Name:	image-533711072.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	41732
Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
We have a factory bike rack on our 5th wheel Surveyor, but in January when we leave from Michigan for Florida I don't want to expose the bikes to the snow and salt. Did that one time....never again! The one bike with the wheel removed fits nicely in the basement. The other bike will lay in the bed of the pick-up between the tail-gate and the hitch. Once we get out of the salt and snow belt we can transfer the bikes to the rack. Problem solved.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
I found an aftermarket bike rack in the web-shop of Lippert. Lippert is the producer of many FR frames. But there is no mentioning for what type of frames or TT or 5th wheel this product can be used. It is a bit heavy on the $ by the way. Over 700 $!
NOTE: That mount used to be an option on several models of FR camper.
I believe, (from another member who said he called but I have not personally verified), it is no longer offered on any Lite or Ultra-Lite model as an option due to "legal issues."

Note as well that that mount bolts under the majority of the main frame rails (about 8 feet) beefing up the entire frame. It is also "heavy in weight" and will subtract from your available (already limited) payload by several hundred pounds.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #38

Not trying to be a know it all. But, regarding the Flying Dutchman's post #34, yep that is from Lipperts store (Lippert Components, Inc) that I mentioned earlier, post #24. If you go to their store, they also have bolt on and/or weldable folding bike racks and hitches. That one appears to be a sliding assembly. If you call them, they can probably tell you which product to use, or not to use, for your make and model.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
X2! That's an excellent rack. I have one and love it. I don't use it on my 5er, but use it on my Escape and there is no interference with the rear lift gate. Camping World has it on sale for 149.99 right now and lists as RV Approved.
XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack - Swagman 64663 - Bike Racks - Camping World
I just bought this one, Lloydg put me on to it.
It's in the trailer basement till warmer weather.

BTW it does not care what you hang it off of.....
Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #40

well people, the guage of the bumper is paper thin,,,, so what i decided to do was bring the camper to a profesional... the deed will be done on Friday,,,solution,,,take off the thin walled 4 inch bumper, replace it with one that has some "GUTS" reinforce that bumper to the underframe,,,,, guy does it all the time and has NEVER had a problem total cost $750 bucks,,,, well worth it not to have a headache later,, plan on hauling a small Honda generator so I can be self containe when we go to places without electricity,,,,,

Tags
bike, bike rack, rockwood