Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

Rockwood geopro 14fk or a122esp a frame?

a122esp a frame- I like the height and wheels and tires. Also, having the bed and dining area without setting it up is nice. I am concerned how this trailer would do in winter camping. 90% of my camping will be dry. I am concerned with parts freezing in ice/snow conditions and not being able to setup or take down. Also, how well is it sealed? It seems like it could leak.

Geopro 14fk- This trailer looks better quality. How is the ground clearance?

I am leaning towards the geopro but want to know how well it handles on more rugged roads.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions
westernhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhunter View Post
a122esp a frame- I like the height and wheels and tires. Also, having the bed and dining area without setting it up is nice. I am concerned how this trailer would do in winter camping. 90% of my camping will be dry. I am concerned with parts freezing in ice/snow conditions and not being able to setup or take down. Also, how well is it sealed? It seems like it could leak.

Geopro 14fk- This trailer looks better quality. How is the ground clearance?

I am leaning towards the geopro but want to know how well it handles on more rugged roads.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions

Hello, I have the Geo Pro 14fk. Info: some rv Parks don’t allow pop ups. Let’s say you need an overnight stay...Walmart...everyone would know your inside because you popped up. With the Geo...no.

Well if you’re popping up and down in snow and ice conditions, I would think you might have some crunch at the seams. I don’t think that would be good. On the seals and such.

When pulling the pop up there definitely won’t be as much wind drag while pulling it. Maybe a little better gas mileage too.

I’m pulling mine with a car and I also use a weight distribution hitch to keep it level and weights even. It pulls so nice back there. I also did some internal custom storage. So I could live in it if need be without taking things out and in. Everything I loaded in it is still way below weight limits. I went to a local weight station to check. $5 to check.

You’ll have to decide what best fits your needs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	155263

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	155264

ATTACH]155262[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	155262  
guardingliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

Looks nice. Now where is the spare tire? I've seen some under and some on the back. How much ground clearance is there? The wheels and tires look bigger than others.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Looks nice. Now where is the spare tire? I've seen some under and some on the back. How much ground clearance is there? The wheels and tires look bigger than others.

My car has 20 in tires. The trailer is fully loaded...13 in clearance at the jacks... 7 in below the spare under mount below the trailer.

If ground clearance is big issue... you better do the pop up.

I’ll be leaving Minnesota soon for the Carolinas.

I hope that helps..oh... if you’re traveling the Alaska highway... you’ll be glad you had a hard shell around you... bears you know...I’ve driven that one 6 times..

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	155267
Old 10-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

Thanks.

I see 2018 gepro 14fk's listed at $14,995. What can I expect to pay? Or what is dealer cost on these units?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks.

I see 2018 gepro 14fk's listed at $14,995. What can I expect to pay? Or what is dealer cost on these units?

I paid 13 even. It has 100watt solar to keep battery charged when off grid . Mine didn’t have a tv. I don’t watch tv. That whole radio DVD music player install that came with it, to me, was a waste of money. The sound system is not very good. I have better sound through my small Bluetooth speaker I run through my phone and iPad. I stream movies and music for the most part though those devices. You can always pick up a cheap tv elsewhere. By the way...the back wall where the tv is mounted is a metal backing. Mounting area. My microwave was not a conventional type. I’m not baking. Basic type works for me. This trailer has brakes....a bonus for a trailer this small. It makes for a very nice driving experience. This trailer is very high quality in materials .. light weight rot resistance materials. Mine also came with the bike rack. This rack system has issues though. You can’t remove the plastic propane cover unless you use the straight up adapter that comes with it. The rack is easy to take apart though. Mine came with the gas grill.

I talked with other sales people in Michigan... one of these exact models was shipped to the Middle East...go figure...

I believe I could have squeezed more out of the rv salesman but this was the last one in my area. I would have had to drive mega miles to get close to another. I’m not sure dealer cost. You may be able to get a better deal. They are getting more popular. There is nothing like this around me. Everyone was selling the 20 fters. I don’t need that.

To make the deal sweeter... have them throw in a 15 to 20 ft sewer hose with clear 45 elbow at the drain source on the rv. Maybe a pressure regulator (metal if possible)for incoming water hose. Levelers for the tires. The starter kits they have in boxes can be cheap inside. Get a deal on the weight distribution hitch if you think you would like one. I paid 280$ for mine on eBay. The dealer wanted $425 and more to install it.

I hope this helps...I love mine. I will be living in it as a student. Me and my dog!

ATTACH]155274[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	674.9 KB
ID:	155274  
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

Sounds pretty good. So yours came with solar panels ready to go? Now with the trailer brakes, do you need a connecter for that with your tow vehicle? How about winterization on the trailer?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Sounds pretty good. So yours came with solar panels ready to go? Now with the trailer brakes, do you need a connecter for that with your tow vehicle? How about winterization on the trailer?
Your tow vehicle needs pre-wiring for a brake controller, the controller installed, a 7-pin connector and a 2" type III receiver.

In other words, a factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Your tow vehicle needs pre-wiring for a brake controller, the controller installed, a 7-pin connector and a 2" type III receiver.

In other words, a factory tow package.
Ok. I do have class IV hitch. I do not have 7 pin connecter or brake controller.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:

It had solar installed. There’s a plug on the side of all these for solar panels. I had a brake controller installed. I use air to blow out the water lines and only fill the drain traps and toilet with antifreeze. I only bought 1 gal. It doesn’t take much. You have to drain the water heater too. I used a wet vac with a hose to suck out the bottom. YouTube has lots of info on this process and just about everything else.

When I traveled through Canada I would park in the rear of motels for the night. No one ever bothered me.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardingliberty View Post
It had solar installed. There’s a plug on the side of all these for solar panels. I had a brake controller installed. I use air to blow out the water lines and only fill the drain traps and toilet with antifreeze. I only bought 1 gal. It doesn’t take much. You have to drain the water heater too. I used a wet vac with a hose to suck out the bottom. YouTube has lots of info on this process and just about everything else.

When I traveled through Canada I would park in the rear of motels for the night. No one ever bothered me.
So you winterize when the trailer is not in use and put away for winter? What about if you want to use the trailer in some extreme temps? what needs to be done? I would expect to be in temps as low as 0 degrees at times.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Ok. I do have class IV hitch. I do not have 7 pin connecter or brake controller.
Then you don't have the factory tow package.
That's an aftermarket hitch receiver.

So you'll have to have install the wiring for the brake controller and the 7-pin connector, plus the controller.

That's why it's always advised to get the factory tow package, much cheaper and easier.

It would help if you posted what your tow vehicle is.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Then you don't have the factory tow package.
That's an aftermarket hitch receiver.

So you'll have to have install the wiring for the brake controller and the 7-pin connector, plus the controller.

That's why it's always advised to get the factory tow package, much cheaper and easier.

It would help if you posted what your tow vehicle is.
Toyota Tacoma 4l v6.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #14
Site Team

You shouldn't have problems towing but you'll have to duplicate the tow package.
Does it have the 4-pin plug in the rear?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
You shouldn't have problems towing but you'll have to duplicate the tow package.
Does it have the 4-pin plug in the rear?
yes, 4 pin.

I will have to get a transmission cooler to tow 2000b trailer?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #16

Can someone recommend a solar kit for this trailer? I plan to go with two deep cycle batteries. I'm just curious if there is a solar setup that would allow me to power lights and charge phones, etc without the use of generator. I know I would need generator to use microwave or a coffee pot.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
yes, 4 pin.

I will have to get a transmission cooler to tow 2000b trailer?
Loaded that trailer will be close to 3000lbs.
Don't go by dry weights, they're fantasy numbers.

But a trans cooler will be essential for where you live.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Loaded that trailer will be close to 3000lbs.
Don't go by dry weights, they're fantasy numbers.

But a trans cooler will be essential for where you live.
Agree on the actual road weight. My Flagstaff A-Frame weighs in at about 2800 with cargo and a generator.

I travel about 5K miles per year, so the better handling of the A-Frame in the closed position is important for me. The trade-off is no real indoor potty/shower like the GeoPro. Price and other features seem to be in line between the two.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, frame, rockwood