Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #41

Just picked up my 2504s after a 12 hour drive to get it at Rvw. Currently spending night #2 in it on the way home. Very happy with it, since I hadn't actually stepped foot in one before ordering mine. Talked with several helpful folks on here and did a ton of research before ordering. Had a TT about 8 feet longer years ago and this feels just as spacious at half the weight. Has a ton of storage, can't fill all the space even with a family of 5. This floor plan is awesome!
firecapt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #42

I won't be picking mine up until Friday but I started getting a little worried about the width of the bunks, at only 26" does anyone feel that is to tight? My kids are only 5 and 7 but as an adult I wouldn't sleep well in the bunks. As the kids get older I worry they may not want to camp in it because the bunks are tight. Any one else share the same concerns?
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #43

My boys are 11 and 9. The bunks are plenty long but a bit narrow. They haven't complained about them at all. I climbed in one and it's not horrible and I'm 6'2.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #44

I just used my 2504S for the second time over the weekend. I still cant complain about the experience. That is 9 nights camping and we have only had it in our possession for 19 days, including today... Next trip is planned for 3 nights during July 4 weekend. Cant wait!

Wife and I are planning on trying to use it every other weekend (I have every other fri off, trying to use those weekends as our "camping weekends", if possible). So we are trying to find that "right" campground that is close enough that we wont arrive too late on fri afternoon/evening, but yet we enjoy enough that we want to go there all the time. That will be a trial and error thing I suppose, every one gets a different "feel" for the campground, and everyone has different likes, so asking others to suggest "awesome" campgrounds is sort of not possible, lol. Just cuz I love a campground, doesnt mean you will, that kind of thing

Still planning to post some pics of ours. We did decide to set the dinette up into a bed to lounge there and watch a movie, and it was quite comfortable. I prefer the bed, but in the event we are traveling a long distance and just want to get a few hours of sleep, the dinette was plenty comfortable enough for that. I had read from others the same results with their dinette, and just wanted to pass along my experience as well

As far as the size of the bunks, I would not consider myself a big guy (5'10", 190) and I was laying in the bottom bunk on our first trip in order to fix the shades. There was a knot in one of the strings so we couldnt lower the shade all the way down. In order to get to it I had to lay on the wood with the mattress removed. I didnt personally have any issues with the amount of space as I layed and moved around. I would think using the mattress would make a difference in comfort though, lol.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #45

A few pics of the trailer. In the first one you might be able to see the outside storage compartments under the Murphy bed (goes all the way through to the other side), under the dinette slide, and under the bottom bunk. Not sure how that compares to everybody elses compartments, but that is my configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.png
Views:	321
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	56135   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.png
Views:	304
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	56136   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.png
Views:	324
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	56137   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.png
Views:	314
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	56138   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.png
Views:	339
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	56139  

Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #46

Here are a few pics of some modifications of the trailer. I used 8' long pvc fence post and caps. Cut the posts to fit under the trailer. Mounted them side by side under the rear of the trailer. I attatched the post top permanantly with some screws requiring a square head bit (with white finish, matches the pvc real well) on one end, and added latches to the other end. I had to cut a few notches on the fence post to allow the cap to fit on the end (because the screws that hold the latches stick out a bit). One of the posts is for my ladder, the other my sewer hose. The ladder post opens on the awning side of the camper and is screwed shut on the sewer side. And the sewer hose opens up (you guessed it) on the sewer side, and is secured on the awning side. I drilled a few holes in the caps to let the sewer hose breathe. I dont know the numbers off the top of my head, but it was probably like $50 and an hour of my time to install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	56140   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	302
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	56141   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.PNG
Views:	310
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	56142   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.PNG
Views:	305
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	56143   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.PNG
Views:	303
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	56144  

Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #47

Your mods look great Dude. I plan on just storing my hose in the bumper, I have some clips to keep the bumper covers on. Friday is fast approaching we wont be camping in it for at least 3 weeks though. Probably will set it up at home so the kids can sleep in it one or 2 nights. I am a pretty large man 6' 1 about 270 lbs so I don't fit in the bunks well.

I wonder why my unit doesn't have the external storage door to the dinette. Its not the end of the world, but that storage would be much more accessible if there was a door from the outside. Missing the door for the closet storage doesn't bother me. Has anyone run their ac at home on a 20 amp circuit, does it hold it?

One marine to another what was your MOS? I was a 2141 for 6 years. I've been retired from the corp for over 15 now.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #48

I was just running my ac at my home on a 15 amp circuit. It was running fine until I tried running a vacuum and it tripped the breaker. I'm going to run a separate 30 amp circuit just for the camper.

Mine has both exterior storage doors on the slide. Mine is a 2015 and just rolled out of the factory two weeks ago.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post
Your mods look great Dude. I plan on just storing my hose in the bumper, I have some clips to keep the bumper covers on. Friday is fast approaching we wont be camping in it for at least 3 weeks though. Probably will set it up at home so the kids can sleep in it one or 2 nights. I am a pretty large man 6' 1 about 270 lbs so I don't fit in the bunks well.

I wonder why my unit doesn't have the external storage door to the dinette. Its not the end of the world, but that storage would be much more accessible if there was a door from the outside. Missing the door for the closet storage doesn't bother me. Has anyone run their ac at home on a 20 amp circuit, does it hold it?

One marine to another what was your MOS? I was a 2141 for 6 years. I've been retired from the corp for over 15 now.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I've read on here that attempting to run your A/C from a standard outlet can damage your A/C compressor.

We have a 2306 that has the same bunk setup as yours. My 10yo son is 5'-1" and 125lbs and still fits, but he has started mentioning its hard for him to turn without getting into the shades. I'm 5'-10" and 250lbs... My family likes to play "cheer daddy on as he tries to get in and out of the bottom bunk." Lol. If you're not claustrophobic and can sleep "head in," no worries... But if you're like me and can't do tight spaces, the bunks are a little tough adults/older kids. But... It gives you a reason to trade up in a few years
Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Figured I would write a follow up post. The wife and I picked up the 2504S and spent about 9 days camping with it before bringing it home. We are very pleased with our purchase. The only issue we have is the dinette table. The pics make it easier to understand, but the first pic is the table that we have in our unit (note, these are not pics of our actual unit, just pics for demonstration). The second pic is the table that we wanted, and didnt realize we had a choice when we ordered the unit. ...
Why not just take the legs off and turn them 90° on the top? Problem solved.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #51

My original intent was to store the sewer hose in the bumper, but if you have anything more than the hose (the "fittings" that attach to the trailer, not sure what you call them), it wont fit. Certainly there are differences in the hoses with the various manufacturers, so yours might fit. But for me, I would have been forced to remove the ends of the hose in order to slide it in the bumper. So I chose to go with the larger pipe (the fence post) so that I could simply unhook from the trailer, and slide it in as is. But give yours a shot and see if you can make it fit, never hurts to try.

For the outside storage, and some other things, I am not really sure what determines which trailers get what features. It is very strange. We even had this discussion with the dealer, and they were saying that even in the middle of a model year they will just make changes to things like that. Mine came off the assembly line approx 6 weeks ago. We were thrilled about the dinette door, because, as you said, it is very convenient to not have to lift the cushions to get down there. There are limits to your reach from the outside, but it helps (there are also limits to what can fit through the door, lol). We do a lot of bike riding and we keep the helmets and things right there for easy access. I havent seen any with the outside door for the wardrobe closet, but that one sounds like it would really be convenient for things like the grill (assuming the opening is large enough). Another difference between the 2015 and the 2014, was that in all of the 2014s we saw in person, you could pull the front of the couch off (attached with velcro) and access the storage in the front of the trailer. We really liked that feature. But on our trailer, if you pull the front of the couch off there is a wall behind it and no access to the storage compartment. I find it sort of fascinating to discuss the differences between all of the trailers. Different storage access doors, from what I have read there are differences in the number of drawers in the kitchen. Subtle, but I would love to know what the reasons are behind some of those decisions. Is it based on owner feedback, dealer feedback, is it a cost related decision?

During my time in the corps I was 0311, only because you had to have an infantry MOS in order to be eligable for my actual MOS of 8152

Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #52

Picked up my 2504 yesterday, towed home very easy with my ram 5.7 even though I was bucking a 20 mom head wind, was still pulling 9 mpg. I'm even more concerned with the bunks then I was before though. The 26" width isn't so bad if you lay in them with your head at the open end but being 6'1" 275 lbs it was very difficult to get in and out that direction. But the kids will be sleeping there not me, I hope they don't complain about the size for a minimum of 5 years then I'll be ready to trade if there is a floor plan we like better.
I chose the 2504 because of the lighter weight but the large space inside with the Murphy bed. I didn't want a 30+ foot trailer with a 6k dry weight. But unless you don't mind canvas but would like a slide out with bunks and stay in the 4500 lb weight, there isn't a lot of choices. I did have a tough time in hitching the trailer, at home it is parked on a incline, I couldn't get the coupler off the ball, ended up pulling the pin and driving off with the equalizer insert sliding out as I drove away.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post
Picked up my 2504 yesterday, towed home very easy with my ram 5.7 even though I was bucking a 20 mom head wind, was still pulling 9 mpg. I'm even more concerned with the bunks then I was before though. The 26" width isn't so bad if you lay in them with your head at the open end but being 6'1" 275 lbs it was very difficult to get in and out that direction. But the kids will be sleeping there not me, I hope they don't complain about the size for a minimum of 5 years then I'll be ready to trade if there is a floor plan we like better.

I chose the 2504 because of the lighter weight but the large space inside with the Murphy bed. I didn't want a 30+ foot trailer with a 6k dry weight. But unless you don't mind canvas but would like a slide out with bunks and stay in the 4500 lb weight, there isn't a lot of choices. I did have a tough time in hitching the trailer, at home it is parked on a incline, I couldn't get the coupler off the ball, ended up pulling the pin and driving off with the equalizer insert sliding out as I drove away.

I'm the same with the bunks... But like you, I don't sleep there. My son has grumbled a couple times already... We looked at a Crossroads ST270BH today... Near future maybe but probably not this year.

I've heard a couple others with problems unhooking. I have a pretty good incline in my driveway (even with a tongue jack extender and cranked all the way up, it's still not level) and have never had any problem unhooking. I'd take a closer look.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt61 View Post
I leave Friday for a 10 hour drive to go pick up my 2504s at RVW! Be interesting to see what table I end up with. I noticed the extra outside storage as well in a YouTube video. Mine is a 2015 model, so I am assuming it will have the the extra outside storage. Going to camp a few days on the drive home. All the Info on here is great!
Just got word that my vin is in for my 2504s and curious to the table I'll get. What one did you get? I'm guessing I'll likely have the same as you since your just came of line not to long ago
ChrisPlus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #55

Mine is a 2015 also was made in March, i got the good table, but neither door for the storage into the slidout.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #56

Chrisplus3, I got the table I was not hoping for. Its the four legged one, though its not bad. My kids are small, so no big deal for them to get around. I have long legs and it's a bit interesting. I was just happy to get the extra outside storage with the 2015 model!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #57

Thanks for your replies. I'm preparing for the four legged table
ChrisPlus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #58

It is fine! After reading some of the complaints on here about it, I was worried too. I'm so happy with the camper and the amount of storage, the table can be overlooked. You will love it!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #59

For what it's worth, I took delivery yesterday of my new 2015 2504S. It has a total of 4 storage doors on the drivers side of the trailer, and 1 on the passenger side. Also got the good table. I am learning how to use things in my driveway before it's maiden voyage...in particular, versing myself in the fine art of black tank rinse and flush. I can safely do it now as nothing other than plain water has been in any of the tanks (fresh, grey and black). So, this 2504S has a black tank rinse connection on the exterior (although not ever mentioned in any literature I have seen), and I hooked a hose to it for a partial fill to test my "Dumping abilities". Well, it was not filling the black tank, and I could not hear the spray head going off inside the black tank. After much frustration, I have discovered the one way B&B valve was installed backwards from the factory! Nothing quite like quality control, lol. I reversed the direction, and now it works like a champ. Anyone else have a factory installed black tank rinse on their 2504S?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFFORD View Post
For what it's worth, I took delivery yesterday of my new 2015 2504S. It has a total of 4 storage doors on the drivers side of the trailer, and 1 on the passenger side. Also got the good table. I am learning how to use things in my driveway before it's maiden voyage...in particular, versing myself in the fine art of black tank rinse and flush. I can safely do it now as nothing other than plain water has been in any of the tanks (fresh, grey and black). So, this 2504S has a black tank rinse connection on the exterior (although not ever mentioned in any literature I have seen), and I hooked a hose to it for a partial fill to test my "Dumping abilities". Well, it was not filling the black tank, and I could not hear the spray head going off inside the black tank. After much frustration, I have discovered the one way B&B valve was installed backwards from the factory! Nothing quite like quality control, lol. I reversed the direction, and now it works like a champ. Anyone else have a factory installed black tank rinse on their 2504S?
My 2504s literally came off the assembly line 2 months ago and doesn't have the black tank flush. I wish it did. Where is the connection at on yours? I did not get the good table either. I'm not actually sure what the good table legs are, just know from what I have learned on here I have the not so good ones.

Tags
rockwood