Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomite View Post
We have a 2015 2503S and I am having an issue with the scissor couch that folds flat under the murphy bed. I noticed through the commentary that the 2504s has the same option so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the couch. The couch does not have very good bottom cushion support for sitting. Upon inspection I noticed a single metal band across the length and several diagonal cloth supports, not enough to keep a good sitting position. I suspect I will have to take it to an upholstery shop and have a better support system put in. When siting, the body weight on the couch also forces the drawer under the couch to creep out. Has anyone experienced an issue like this?
Mine's not great either; DW has commented on it. Not sure what to do about it. Our's doesn't have the drawer, so I'm not sure if it's exactly like yours.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #282

We have a 2504s and we had the bottom cushion of our couch replaced once under warranty, because the support broke on the one side. They replaced it with the same thing, so I cross my fingers that it holds up. I have not had the time to see if I can reinforce it myself. We do not have a problem with the draw coming out, but we do make a point to make sure it is completely closed when we sit on it. It seems to provide a little extra support to the couch then.
ACTKE2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #283

Has anyone had a problem with their slide blowing a fuse when trying to bring it in? The slide will go out for us, but not back in? Any ideas or thoughts? I asked the dealer and their fix was to try a larger fuse, 15amp to 20amp. I am no electrician by any means, but that just doesnt seem like a good idea. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTKE2015 View Post
Has anyone had a problem with their slide blowing a fuse when trying to bring it in? The slide will go out for us, but not back in? Any ideas or thoughts? I asked the dealer and their fix was to try a larger fuse, 15amp to 20amp. I am no electrician by any means, but that just doesnt seem like a good idea. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Change your fuse to "Slow Blow"type or a"Auto Reset type! Youroo! !
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #285

Ok, never heard of them. I will give it a try!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomite View Post
We have a 2015 2503S and I am having an issue with the scissor couch that folds flat under the murphy bed. I noticed through the commentary that the 2504s has the same option so I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the couch. The couch does not have very good bottom cushion support for sitting. Upon inspection I noticed a single metal band across the length and several diagonal cloth supports, not enough to keep a good sitting position. I suspect I will have to take it to an upholstery shop and have a better support system put in. When siting, the body weight on the couch also forces the drawer under the couch to creep out. Has anyone experienced an issue like this?

Hi, there is a thread somewhere on here titled "Murphy bed storage ideas". In that thread there are a few different peoples solution for the saggy couch. I tried to attach a link back to my post on that thread, hope that works, because I don't think I have those pictures stored anywhere else.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1209231
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #287

We have a 2017 2504s with the solid surface counters and there is no drawer under the couch. It's just a removable panel so you can access underneath it. The couch went from 2 cushions to 3 cushions in the 2017 models for the 2504s. I don't know if this was just cosmetic or if there are actual structural differences. I suppose it also matters how much poundage you sit on the couch.

I've only used the slide about 4 times, so far no issues with fuses blowing.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #288

My couch sagged due to the drawer working it's way open. I removed the drawer which created a more functional pass through and hinged the top of the drawer front so it stays in place but swings up to the access passthrough.
coolhandlucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #289

Anyone have an opinion about a 2504 in moderate offroad conditions or a link you could point me to? Deerlease roads, desert camping etc. No technical stuff just washboards an such.
coolhandlucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #290
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandlucc View Post
Anyone have an opinion about a 2504 in moderate offroad conditions or a link you could point me to? Deerlease roads, desert camping etc. No technical stuff just washboards an such.
I wouldn't take any ultralight TT on washboard roads.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #291

I live on a washboard road. I have to drive three miles out to a decent road each time I leave to camp. The camper has very good clearance and dragging is not a real problem. I try to drive slow and occasionally a drawer will come open. I have camped in some very remote locations. I did break the plate in my microwave the last time I went to Colorado. The door came open, shucked the plate and reclosed. Most of the issues have happened on rough highways.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:12 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 63 View Post
I did break the plate in my microwave the last time I went to Colorado. The door came open, shucked the plate and reclosed. Most of the issues have happened on rough highways.
We make a point of taking the plate out and putting it upright in the sink next to our coffee maker when traveling.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #293

We also lost our plate in travel. FR actually replaced it under warranty. I also had an issue with both dinette drawers coming open in transit. The first time was on an drive in to a lake with approximately 30 miles of dirt road. We then found they wouldn't even stay closed on the interstate. Both drawers were realigned and reinstalled, along with a rail kit replacement on one of them. Both were covered through warranty. Now, with the microwave plate in a drawer and VERY slow speed through any washboard or slightly rough areas, no issues.
voicebugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #294

Newbie considering Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S.

I am considering purchasing a Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S.

First, please forgive me for all etiquette & forum usage mistakes I may be making here. All new to me.

Here is my situation:

- I am new to the RV world.
- I want to take my 2 kids (elementary age) all around the US & National Parks for a year. It will mostly be the 3 of us, but at times 4 of us.
- I like the 2504S b/c of the floor plan (2 bunks, murphy bed) & it seems to have more internal storage than others. I am trying to keep the TT as small as possible, but meet our needs & have the best quality without breaking the bank.

Questions:

1) Do you think the 2504S can handle nearly full-time use for around a year? (From what I am learning, I realize these things are not meant for it, but do you think it is possible or a bad idea to try?)

2) How is it trying to get repairs while out on the road (not being able to get back to where you purchased)?

3) I need to bring bikes - can anyone tell me what they have done (maybe direct me to photos?)

4) Does anyone use a back-up camera? (I will not really have a spotter to help guide my parking - just my kids, and don't really want to rely on them).

5) I do not have a tow vehicle yet, but think I would get something like a Tahoe - any feedback about that?

Thank you so much for any feedback you can give!
LifeIsAnExperiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAnExperiment View Post

First, please forgive me for all etiquette & forum usage mistakes I may be making here. All new to me.

Here is my situation:

- I want to take my 2 kids (elementary age) all around the US & National Parks for a year. It will mostly be the 3 of us, but at times 4 of us.
- I like the 2504S b/c of the floor plan (2 bunks, murphy bed) & it seems to have more internal storage than others. I am trying to keep the TT as small as possible, but meet our needs & have the best quality without breaking the bank.

Questions:

1) Do you think the 2504S can handle nearly full-time use for around a year? (From what I am learning, I realize these things are not meant for it, but do you think it is possible or a bad idea to try?)

2) How is it trying to get repairs while out on the road (not being able to get back to where you purchased)?

3) I need to bring bikes - can anyone tell me what they have done (maybe direct me to photos?)

4) Does anyone use a back-up camera? (I will not really have a spotter to help guide my parking - just my kids, and don't really want to rely on them).

5) I do not have a tow vehicle yet, but think I would get something like a Tahoe - any feedback about that?

First... Welcome.
1. The size that will work for me might not work for you. Its all up to how close knit your family is. Is it enough space? IMO, yes. If my son hadnt grown to 5'9 at 12yo, we'd still have our rockwood 2306 (no slide). Will it hold up? I would certainly hope so.
2. If you're hoping to get immediate repairs from a dealer, i wouldnt be too hopeful. If you can find an independent repair shop that can work with FR, you would probably have better luck.
3. That camper is not built to carry a bike rack on the back. It will more than likely ruin your frame. You should be able to find one that mounts to the tongue, but they're pricey. We stowed ours inside during travel and/or in the bed of our Tundra.
4. Never used a backup camera. You're not that long and shouldnt have too hard of a time in your learning curve. Backing up is much easier than you think. Worst case, ask the park host or manager to help you out.
5. Just my opinion, but i would select something with a longer wheel base than the Tahoe. Also, with that weight, id look for something with a tow capacity of about 9000#, assuming you want a smooth tow throughout your journey. Can never go wrong with a Tundra. Great tow machine and more leg room than a luxury car.
Have fun on your trip. Wish we could do something like that.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #296

Quote:

Here is my situation:

Questions:

Life: Regarding bikes. This subject is one of the great DEBATE subjects on this forum. I consider it a "can of worms" question.

In short, your options come down to these major choices:

1. Carry bikes in TT - some have mounted fork-holders on their dinettes
2. Carry bikes in Pickup truck bed
3. Carry bikes on rack over the pickup truck bed (or roof of Tahoe).
4. Add front receiver and use bike rack on Pickup truck
5. Add an over-the propane tank bike rack
6. Add a beefed-up receiver to the back of the Mini-lite. There is some dissent on this option by forum members, as you can see by KDHfan's response above; it is "generally agreed" (a little dissent) that you should NOT just bolt a receiver to the 4" bumper - the bumper is NOT built for bike racks. Also, adding a beefed up receiver "may" void the frame warranty, if that worries you.
7. Get a toyhauler instead of a Mini-Lite.

Go to the top of this page and put "bike rack" into the search field and you will find ALL kinds of threads with pros and cons.

Personally, I've gone with Option #6, beefed up receiver, on both my Roo 19 and my Mini-Lite 2503S, with NO issues. See post #12 here for pics of my Mini-Lite setup. I only carry 2 bikes; if I had to carry 4, I might not want to use this option.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #297

My 2504s came with a rear ladder and factory bike rack. I haven't used it as of yet. IMHO I don't think that I would load it heavy, maybe 2 small bikes at most. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #298

Quote:

Questions:

1) I think so. You will be in close quarters anyway, so you're either going to love it or hate it. This relates to #5, because if you're going to be making supply runs you might want to think about a truck. (Refilling propane tanks, etc.)

2) I have never seen an "on the spot" repair. Especially if there is warranty work involved. Most people wait until they have a long list, because the time from "seeing" the problem to receiving the parts can be days, weeks, or months. Depends what the issue is.

3) Inside is your best option unless you have a truck. The larger SUVs, toyota sequoia, chevy tahoe, etc. suffer from a fairly low payload capacity. I just can't see loading up one of these with everyone in it, supplies and bikes on top while pulling a 2504s. We have a toyota sequoia and pull a 2504s but don't load ANYTHING in the vehicle except the dog. It pulls okay, but I can defnitely tell the SUV is working to pull the load around.

4) The 2504s comes prewired for the furrion backup camera. You just unscrew the cover, plug in the camera, screw it in the box, then the receiver/monitor is wireless into your vehicle. Reviews seem mixed, most complaints center around either the wireless connection dropping or the camera lens not being a wide enough angle. If I get one, I would probably go this route since it's plug and play.

5) Again, if I had to do it over again, I would get a quad cab tundra, F150 or Silverado with a topper on it. You can keep supplies in the back, your bikes, etc. If you're living year round in the trailer it's nice to have a truck bed to move things to and from town if needed. You could also use it to haul a generator so if you boondock at places with no electricity. People also use big water bladders in the truck bed so you can use it to fill the trailer fresh water tank if you're camping out in the middle of nowhere. To me it's a very versatile setup.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #299

What kind of sealant do I need to use on the roof dicor or something else?
Eclipse1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #300

I've always been told to use Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant.

Tags
rockwood