Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
kpm

Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s or Bullet 243BHS???

Question Please.

We currently have a Rockwood Roo 23ss. The 23ss has been a great camper.
Looking to move to a unit with bunk beds. We can't decide between the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s or Bullet 243BHS.

Both have their favorites. The 2509 outside kitchen has a drain and the unit has a Murphy Bed(More space vs. a closed in room.)

The Keystone bullet 243 has a dedicated queen bedroom. However, the wall at the end of the bed is not good for tall people. It does have the outdoor kitchen, but it has sink basin that needs to be manually emptied. Both units do have bunk bed configurations.

Anyone with any feedback or experience with these two models? Are these units comparable?

Thanks a bunch!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #2

We looked at both extensively and ended up buying the Rockwood. Don't think you can go wrong with either unit. We had a Rockwood pop up and were comfortable with the brand which was the final decision maker. We take delivery next weekend. All the points you mention were considered. We did feel like the Rockwood had a little more storage built in.
ctdarcys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

Also look at the Wild wood heritage glen 24bhhl.
ctdarcys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Question Please.

Looking to move to a unit with bunk beds. We can't decide between the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s or Bullet 243BHS.

Both have their favorites. The 2509 outside kitchen has a drain and the unit has a Murphy Bed(More space vs. a closed in room.)

The Keystone bullet 243 has a dedicated queen bedroom. However, the wall at the end of the bed is not good for tall people. It does have the outdoor kitchen, but it has sink basin that needs to be manually emptied. Both units do have bunk bed configurations.

Anyone with any feedback or experience with these two models? Are these units comparable?

Thanks a bunch!

Wife's parents had a class C. We started our search looking for a simple pop-up to make camping easier with our family of five and the two of them. I wanted small, affordable. By the time a year and a half of looking at floor plans we ended up going with the Flagstaff 27BHWS which had a Rockwood twin if you're dealer only carries their lineup.

Long story short, we talked to numerous families and friends that had upgraded for more space over the years so we bit the bullet and tried to buy a TT we can use for the next decade with more room.

Good luck in your search. I'd lean towards the Rockwood based on what we fell in love with. I personally loved the Murphy bed concept, but having to "setup" beds at night was ultimately what my wife and in-laws convinced me to avoid...

Ultimately you can't go wrong once you're out camping with the family! Cheers.
mt_creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_creative View Post
Wife's parents had a class C. We started our search looking for a simple pop-up to make camping easier with our family of five and the two of them. I wanted small, affordable. By the time a year and a half of looking at floor plans we ended up going with the Flagstaff 27BHWS which had a Rockwood twin if you're dealer only carries their lineup.

Long story short, we talked to numerous families and friends that had upgraded for more space over the years so we bit the bullet and tried to buy a TT we can use for the next decade with more room.

Good luck in your search. I'd lean towards the Rockwood based on what we fell in love with. I personally loved the Murphy bed concept, but having to "setup" beds at night was ultimately what my wife and in-laws convinced me to avoid...

Ultimately you can't go wrong once you're out camping with the family! Cheers.
Once the bed is "made" (and every bed has to be "made"), there isn't any real "setting up" at night. You drop the bed, unhook the straps, and crawl in. In the morning, snap the straps and raise the bed. Takes one minute either way.

My DW doesn't like the "closed in" feel of most of the "bedrooms" in TT's. Some of those bedrooms have a wall right at the foot of the bed! I think we've been in only one or two that were "open" enough that she said she 'might' feel OK sleeping in.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Canadian Member

For us, 2 things would sway our decision.

1. Are you OK with the entertainment centre at the foot of the bed?
2. Are you OK with a Murphy Bed?

The location of the entertainment centre at the foot of the bed is a deal breaker for me (I'd hate it) but my DW doesn't like the idea of a Murphy Bed that has to be put away.

One big positive for me about the Murphy Bed is that when it's stored, you have the sofa in that size of TT. With children, it would be a more family friendly camper but the separate room would be good if you really want some privacy from the kids at night.

Good luck with your decision.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Once the bed is "made" (and every bed has to be "made"), there isn't any real "setting up" at night. You drop the bed, unhook the straps, and crawl in. In the morning, snap the straps and raise the bed. Takes one minute either way.

My DW doesn't like the "closed in" feel of most of the "bedrooms" in TT's. Some of those bedrooms have a wall right at the foot of the bed! I think we've been in only one or two that were "open" enough that she said she 'might' feel OK sleeping in.

You're preaching to the choir. I was ready for small. Then again, I wasn't the one getting the sheets, blankets and pillows out for the tired kids on the pullout.

I would imagine a Murphy would be ideal because you don't have to strip it to put it away like the foldout couches we were dealing with.

As for space, they are all a bit tiny. Some of the new super lites have the big front window which made it feel a lot bigger in there... but my DW likes the blackout shades so that spacious feel departs at night.

Pull the trigger on it, either way you're camping so life is good!
mt_creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
We can't decide between the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s or Bullet 243BHS.
How big is your family? What is your TV? Are you limited to TTs with an empty weight of 5100? (If you can bump-up to TTs in the 6,500 empty range you get a lot more bang/buck...)

IMO you should spend an hour inside as an entire family at the dealership/RV show before making your decision. IMO you are paying $20K+ again (less trade-in) for a TT that will "feel" less roomy than your Roo 233S...

We took our family of 5 to an RV show & realized that a 25' TT would never work for us & we felt hybrids let-in too much noise from camping neighbors... Therefore 3 years ago we bought a mildly-used PrimeTime Tracer 3150 bunkhouse for $20K w/2 slide-outs yet an empty weight of only 6,500. I love the OD kitchen & the kids having their own bunk ROOM so we can all get dressed & out the door much quicker. Now that the kids are teens there is no need to upgrade TTs because they still have plenty of space. Also, I've had no trouble backing our 34' TT into state park campsites labeled 25' - the bunk-end just hangs past the end of the parking pad...

We found our (then) 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC for only $14K, so we only have $35k wrapped-up in both & are paying them both off quickly since we aren't trading-in every couple years... Our goal was to find a TV/TT setup that would last until the kids were grown & then we will (likely) upgrade to a MH.

So, IMO, unlike the Roo, this next TT should fit your family needs for the next 5 years or otherwise you are just throwing money in the wind... If you TV is an issue, I find that most used gas 3/4 tons are LESS expensive than 1/2 tons if you go easy on trim upgrades. Our 5.7 Hemi has no trouble maintaining the speed limit throughout the Smoky Mountains and our 3,000 payload allows us to bring-along 5 bikes, scooters, kayaks, firewood, etc...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
Canadian Member

The_Rhino asks a good question about the size of your family. IMO, most bunks are too small once the kids hit their teens. We had that issue with 3 teenage boys so we opted for a longer TT with a U shaped dinette and sofa bed. That was a couple years ago. Now they are only camping with us one week a year and the rest of our camping is as a couple so it reinforces our choice to not get bunks after our Roo.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
WE RV

Quote:
Question Please.

Thanks a bunch!
If we had it to do over again we would have gotten the 2509S instead of the 2109S. An extra 4' would be awesome.
"If you want to see some changes in your life, you have to make some changes in your life"~Michael
WeekendEscape RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #11

Have you looked at the Coachmen 229TBS? We were looking at the 24-25' bunkhouse models but with the wall between the kitchen and bedroom, it made the unit feel smaller. The 229 has an open floor plan with triple single bunks in the back. Since our 2 boys are outside most of the time, the spacesavings is helpful. The 229 is also small enough 25' overall for me to get in tight spaces and I use it hunting in the winter and it goes well on the logging roads (high clearance). We use the queen bed as a seating area when we have guests. It will sleep 7 comfortably. My oldest son is 14 and almost 6'. He has no issue with the room in the bunks.

Tags
lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite