Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Considering the width of the shelf relative to the length of the vertical part of the hinge, it looks like you shouldn't put anything heavy on the far edge. The leverage on the cabinet wall would be pretty high.

I do like the fact it's flush to the main cabinet and will attempt something similar when we get our future trailer.
I still use the swing down support bar provided with the counter extension.

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I've performed about 40 mods to our 2016 2304KS. The most important being the fold away shelf between the couch and Murphy Bed and the fold down headboard. I've e-mailed pictures and instructions to about 35 FROG members so far. My most recent is a , VERY useful, shoe rack at the bottom of the knee wall/bench seat back. As a retired carpenter, I am enjoying all the things we can do to both upgrade our portable home and to fix some of the bugs and shoddy workmanship from the manufacturer.
We will be at the FROG rally in Goshen and I am looking forward to seeing all the mods that my fellow FROGS have created (and I can plagerize), as well as sharing what I've come up with.
We are looking to buy the 2304S, but it is a 2017. What specific issues if any have you had? Likes/Dislikes? Murphy Bed reviews? We are downsizing from a 32' Class C and are buying a pre-owned unit to try and want to stay under a 25' pull behind. I have searched reviews and really haven't received any concrete information about the 2304S other that the Rockwood Mini Lites are overall good trailers, but with each manufacturer there will be problems. How is your 2016 holding up? It is just the two of us and no dogs. We are looking to keep this trailer for a few years until we retire then will go back to a motorhome.
Lower Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #43

2304 Rockwood Minilite

The only, manufacturer related, problem that we had happened during our maiden voyage. We had a waterline leak in the bathroom vanity. After I was, finally, able to find the source by removing the stupid panel that hides the mechanicals, I was able to reach up and tighten the hot water connection to the faucet. My first and most important modification was to create a flip up shelf between the couch and the underside of the bed and a flip up headboard to eliminate the pillow (and according to another member, baby swallowing) gap at the head of the bed. I have done about 40 modifications to make our 2016 2304KS more useful for the DW and I and our 2 little dogs.
Feel free to message me if you want more information. We will be at the Goshin rally if anyone wants to see my mods and share their own.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower Bama View Post
We are looking to buy the 2304S, but it is a 2017. What specific issues if any have you had? Likes/Dislikes? Murphy Bed reviews? We are downsizing from a 32' Class C and are buying a pre-owned unit to try and want to stay under a 25' pull behind. I have searched reviews and really haven't received any concrete information about the 2304S other that the Rockwood Mini Lites are overall good trailers, but with each manufacturer there will be problems. How is your 2016 holding up? It is just the two of us and no dogs. We are looking to keep this trailer for a few years until we retire then will go back to a motorhome.
We have only owned our 2509S for 6 months now and have had no issues. Not long enough to give you a good work down on issues yet. I can say that we love the Murphy bed. We also were looking for a 25' trailer for the 5 of us and a dog. With the Murphy bed, we can put it up in the morning and get a lot of space back. We also like having a sofa during the day. We find that raising and lowering the bed to not be an issue.
Brastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #45

We have a 2016 2304KS and we've put about 18,000 miles on it with no problems. I have done about 40+ mods to the interior and extiriorto make our trailor more personal and functional for us. Including designing, fabricating and installing a flip up shelf and headboard for the huge gaps behind the couch and at the head. I have sent photos and instructions for this mod to about 50 FROGGERS so far. And we will be at the rally in Goshin next month, if anybody wants to see it and other mods. And, of course share ideas with me,
Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #46

We have a mini lite 1905 for the 2 of us, and owned it for 2 years. We love the size and plentiful room for us. The Murphy bed is great and easy to pull down and up. The hinge on the front started to loosen from the aluminum frame, but I replaced the factory screws with some more appropriate to screw into the aluminum frame. Otherwise no issues.
rbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #47

Quote:
I've performed about 40 mods to our 2016 2304KS. The most important being the fold away shelf between the couch and Murphy Bed and the fold down headboard. I've e-mailed pictures and instructions to about 35 FROG members so far. My most recent is a , VERY useful, shoe rack at the bottom of the knee wall/bench seat back. As a retired carpenter, I am enjoying all the things we can do to both upgrade our portable home and to fix some of the bugs and shoddy workmanship from the manufacturer.
We will be at the FROG rally in Goshen and I am looking forward to seeing all the mods that my fellow FROGS have created (and I can plagerize), as well as sharing what I've come up with.

I am very interested in your told away shelf design mod you have done to that darn gap between the head board and the front wall. Like everyone else I am at a loss as to what needs to be done to close that darn thing when the bed is down. Losing the cat, pillows, not to mention freezing the top of my head at night. Please help!!!
Cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraman View Post
I am very interested in your told away shelf design mod you have done to that darn gap between the head board and the front wall. Like everyone else I am at a loss as to what needs to be done to close that darn thing when the bed is down. Losing the cat, pillows, not to mention freezing the top of my head at night. Please help!!!
I had a 2017 2104S before someone decided they deserved it more than I did (long story), I replaced it with a 2019 model which had a few important improvements, one of them was scooching the Murphy bed back enough to considerably close the gap with the wall as well as allowing the bed to lower with the slide in. I still have these leftover from my first model:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It isn't quite thick enough to close the gap between the couch and the wall, but with the bed down the gap is tighter and this cushion did the trick. I don't really need it so much for the newer model, but it still makes for a nice pillow.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
I had a 2017 2104S before someone decided they deserved it more than I did (long story), I replaced it with a 2019 model which had a few important improvements, one of them was scooching the Murphy bed back enough to considerably close the gap with the wall as well as allowing the bed to lower with the slide in. I still have these leftover from my first model:

It isn't quite thick enough to close the gap between the couch and the wall, but with the bed down the gap is tighter and this cushion did the trick. I don't really need it so much for the newer model, but it still makes for a nice pillow.
Schooching the bed back, how was that done? Changed the pivot point and the bed locking mechanism? Do you have a few pics of the changes including the bed being down while the slide is in? Would love to see what you have done.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Schooching the bed back, how was that done? Changed the pivot point and the bed locking mechanism? Do you have a few pics of the changes including the bed being down while the slide is in? Would love to see what you have done.
FWI: Apparently there are different clearances on different models. See falla10's clearance on his Mini Lite 2503S in post #45 here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-177645-5.html

He's only got about an inch, so schooching doesn't look like it would work for a 2503S.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #51

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how they did it, I just know that the gap between the wall and the top of the bed seems noticeably smaller now, and the bed in my 2017 would hit the slide if it was retracted, but my 2019 just clears it. The DW thinks the bed feels a little shorter than before, which is possible but I'm pretty sure the camper queen bed size is a fixed dimension.
Next time I'm at the trailer I'll get a few pictures.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #52

The gap at the headboard is 9" , while camping in the mountains here in Colorado it gets very cold indoors because of that, not to mention the cat gets down in the storage area under it and gets to meowing at all hours. Then gotta go outside and get him out of the bin. Not fun at 3am. Lol. Wifey put a huge comforter in there but that isn't a permanent solution. Please do post some pics or just send them to me when you get the chance. Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #53

Instructions for the Murphybed folding shelf +headboard

These are the instructions for the murphy bed flip up couch shelf and headboardNote... placing some masking tape on the bed where you need to make location marks will help you to see your marks and eliminate actually marking the bed. Also, I used a speed square to locate and mark where the top edge of the couch squared to the bed. This will be the bottom of your shelf. Also the top of the 2X4 set up blocks, referred to in the instructions below,

1) Make sure that you fold up and lock the bed in place. Rip the shelf board to a width which will be from the bed to top of the couch. Behind the cushins that project up over the top ot the couch back.(see drawing)
I'm not sure of the width of your model, but it will be from the bed to those cushions less about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Measure both ends and cut the shelf to the shorter width. Mine differed by 3/8"
our shelf is 60" long, by 7 1/2" wide by 3/4" thick. solid cherry wood to match our cabinets. Because of it's inherent stability, I used Baltic Birch plywood for the headboard. It would also be fine for the shelf.

2) cut the shelf to length, which will be the width of the bed. In our model, the 2304KS the dimension is 60 inches. Hold the back edge of the shelf against the bed bottom (behind the couch when folded and locked in the upright position) and scribe the locations of the plastic edge molding at the edges of the bed, onto the shelf. Then, using a jig, coping or bandsaw, cut reliefs in the shelf so it fits snug against the bed. Note, I cut a couple of 2X4 blocks the height of the small knee wall/ledge that the bed is hinged to the height that I determine for the shelf.( by squaring from the bed to the couch back ) I rested my shelf on these blocks to make it easier to scribe the marks for cutting the reliefs. For better visibility, you might want to add a strip of masking tape to the ends of your shelf and scribe your lines on the masking tape

4) stain and varnish your shelf.

I mixed a red and a brown mahogany stain to match the cherry finish of our cabinets. After staining I applied 4 coats of a water-based semi-gloss finish. General finishes brand.

5) I used a large plastic carpenters speed square to determine the height of the hinge location on the bed in relation to the couch back. (See drawing and photo) Using a sharpie, ( again applying some masking tape first will make your marks more visible) Make a mark on the bed about 18 inches in from both sides. This will be the height of the underside of the shelf. Using masking tape, tape your 2X4 spacer blocks to the the bed on your marks. You will be resting the hinge on these when you are attaching the hinge to the bed.
6) Using the vix (self centering) bit, drill the pilot holes into the back edge of the shelf. Center the 48 inch long piano hinge on the shelf edge and fold it over the BOTTOM of the shelf, one hinge leaf on the edge the other hanging down the BOTTOM of the shelf. I used 2 strips of masking tape to hold the hinge in place while drilling the pilot holes. using an apropriate sized vix bit, drill the pilot holes into the back edge of the shelf.
7) use a sharpie to mark the center of the hinge and the center of the bed at the hinge height.
8) open the hinge (into an L shape), set it on the spacer blocks and match up your center marks. (Hinge is centered on the bed) pilot drill only 1 hole near the center and drive one screw in by hand at that point to anchor the hinge in place. Be careful NOT to overdrive and strip the screw hole. NOTE...The cheap panel they use for the bed bottom is very thin. Maybe 1/8 inch? So it's easy to strip out the screw holes.

Do the same for 2 another hole and screw at either end. Now, if you are so equipped, use a SLOW SPEED battery, drill/driver. and if your drill is so equipped, set the torque very low, and carefully drive in all the rest of those tiny screws. DO NOT pilot drill them because the wood is just too damn thin. Or, just, carefully, use a screwdriver. Don't worry, there are enough screws to safely anchor the hinge and your shelf.
9) remove the 2X4 supports and attach the shelf to the hinge by lining up the pilot holes and driving the screws. It helps if you have the wife, or a couple of friends hold the shelf in place while you screw it up,or should I say in . LOL.
10) The shelf is now free hanging. Lift it up into the horizontal position while setting the couch in the upright position.
11) I cut 2- 6 inch pieces off the ends of the strapping thats used to secure the mattress for travel, melted all the cut ends using a torch, then looped and attached one to the center under the shelf (the other is for the headboard) It will make a convenient handle to hold the shelf up while raising the couch.
I know it sounds like it might be difficult to operate, but it's quite easy. And, when you open the couch to open the bed the shelf simply drops down and away.
VIOLA.

YOU NOW HAVE A SHELF WHERE THERE ONCE WAS A DEEP VOID.
A great place for your drinks and snacks, Though one of our chauaua's loves to sit there, I wouldn't recommend supporting children and larger dogs.

THE HEADBOARD

I used 3/4" baltic birch plywood. I stained and varnished the pieces before mounting. and another 4 foot long piano hinge

1) Pull the mattress about 6" away from the head of the bed.

2) measure the height from the bed platform to the top of the mattress. In our case, this included the 2" memory foam topper.

3) deduct the height of the existing headboard and cut a board this dimension wide by the length of the existing headboard. Rip a 20-degree angle on the top edge of the board. This angle will face the front of the trailer. The mounting pocket holes will be on the opposing, widest, side of the board.

4) mount this board to the top. I used pocket holes and screws on 12" centers, using a Kreg pocket hole jig. If you don't have access to a pocket hole jig you can also use 4 angle brackets to mount the board.

5) Measure, diagonally, the distance from the top of this board to the top of the nightstand shelves on either side of the bed. Rip the board to this width or, if you prefer, you can make it taller. Cut to length 1/2" shorter than the shelf edge to shelf edge distance.

6) Making sure that the face of the board was on the wide side of the cut, I ripped a 20-degree angle on the bottom, where the hinge mounts and the board pivots, and a sharp angle to the top edge. do get the sharper angle, I determined the angle and ran the board upright against the table saw fence with the blade set at the appropriate angle. I did use some scrap to do a trial and error fitting.

7) Place the folding board on top of the newly installed lower headboard. Check for fit, then mark the centers.

Mark the center of the hinge. open and drape the hinge, over the lower headboard (hinge knuckle up) and align the center marks. Using masking tape, temporarily tape the hinge in place then pre-drill pilot holes using vi x bit. Using the same technique center the hinge on the upper headboard (on the 20 degrees angled side) pilot drill and mount the hinge to this board, then mount this assembly to the lower board using the pilot holes to perfectly locate it.

8) Add a strap handle centered on the underside like you did for the shelf, and you are done.

I sincerely hope my instructions are adequate? Feel free to message me at guitarmechanic@att.net for photos of the finished product and/or any clarification, if needed.

I would, very much, love to see photos of your finished product. And, of course, any improvements to my design and fabrication that you might come up with.

I would LOVE any feedback and to see photos of your finished project.

I must add that you really should cut access holes to the hidden underside of the bed. You will find that the good people at F R cheaped out by only installing screws in every other hole in large piano hinge that the bed pivots on. And, like ours, at the ends of the hinge the screws will strip out and the hinge will pull away from the knee wall. I added through bolts to pull the bending ends back into place. Then added screws to the empty holes.

I created removable access panels on both ends. allowing me to vacuum out the construction debris left by F R, and the dust bunnies that seem to gather after every trip. Also twice to retrieve glasses a phone and a box of kleenex.

Good luck and happy camping

Denny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36258987064_9504be1614_o.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	209061   Click image for larger version

Name:	33787149250_fdf9605c41_o.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	209062   Click image for larger version

Name:	32943201982_4fb86f8430_o.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	209063   Click image for larger version

Name:	33099357315_0a77454b7a_o.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	209064   Click image for larger version

Name:	33099358405_5d5932f047_o.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	209065  

Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #54

More Murphy bed mod photos

Here are some more photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28853445966_859f83226a_o.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	209067   Click image for larger version

Name:	36258991864_4cf407e92e_o.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	209068   Click image for larger version

Name:	36281190003_e223f3d73e_o.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	209069   Click image for larger version

Name:	43001726352_2c0ebe90a4_o.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	209070   Click image for larger version

Name:	43001724162_0c5f083665_o.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	209071  

Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #55

My Murphy shelf and headbord mods

I have posted instructions and photos for making and installing a folding shelf to cover the gap behind the couch. As well as a headboard for the baby swallowing

(Yes I did get a request from a mother that had this happen ) void at the head of the bed.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #56

Great mods. Here are a couple I completed.

-added a switched plug outlet for the outside fridge. Now I can turn it on and off without having to remove the fridge and unplug.

-added a 12V dual USB outlet on the slide side of rhe camper at the Murphy Bed. Pulled power from the front courtesy switched light.

Name:	20190706_140429.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	209128Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_140322.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	209129
posservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #57

Quote:
I have posted instructions and photos for making and installing a folding shelf to cover the gap behind the couch. As well as a headboard for the baby swallowing

(Yes I did get a request from a mother that had this happen ) void at the head of the bed.
THAT is a well done upgrade! Hopefully a few of the Forest River corporate folks catch wind of this thread and consider your mod in future models. I doubt it will be as nice as this however, I especially appreciate the shelf it creates for coffee cups and such.
As far as the bed gap for my 2019 2104S, here's what it measures with the bed down:

I'm pretty sure the gap in my original 2017 model was somewhat larger, maybe someone with that year can verify that. Regardless, I have a much less ambitious solution to close the gap than Denny's mod:

I do know that I could not lower the Murphy bed in my 2017 model with the slide in, but much to my surprise, my newer 2104S has enough clearance:

Although my woodworking skills aren't quite up to par with Denny's, I think I'll still give his mod a shot. I'm not too concerned about the gap with the bed down, but that shelf behind the couch with the bed stowed is pretty sweet.
Thanks Denny!
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #58

That pillow

Thank you, DavidBO, for that fine compliment.

I'm glad that giant pillow works for you. Can it be folded up with the bed?

And, I must admit to being quite envious that you can leave your bed down with the slie in.

I still strongly suggest that ( if FR hasn't already corrected that oversite?) you create an access to the underside of the bed. Fill in the empty screw holes in the hinge and add through bolts at the ends of the hinge. And you do want to be able to vacuum out the dust bunnies that will gather there.
I'm sure that you will be able to make the shelf. It's easier than the headboard. And it can be done with a skillsaw and hand tools.

Of course, you can feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #59

Quote:

I'm glad that giant pillow works for you. Can it be folded up with the bed?
Unfortunately no, I normally use it in an attempt to close up the gap behind the couch when the bed is up, but it's a pretty loose fit and the cushion eventually falls through.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #60

The Murphy bed pillow

We did consider a pillow at first. The big pillow option was a problem for us, because we couldn’t possibly share a pillow while sleeping. And the space it would take up in the trailer when the bed was put away was untenable. And, if we did use it while sleeping, my feet would hang off the edge of the bed.
But I am glad that it works for you

Tags
lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite