Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Smile Rockwood RV Replacement Parts

Lately I've been reading allot of comments about having trouble getting replacement parts or warranty work done for Rockwood RV's. We have a 2012 8289WS Fifth Wheel. I've had lots of little issues with ours which I corrected myself because I don't trust most RV repair shops to do it right.
When it comes to replacement parts or warranty work I would probably contact the manufacture of the defective part. In your owners manual you should find a list of companies who manufactured the parts that go into your unit. This may not be the case with older units. I think they are the ones Forest River wants you to contact. I know we've paid allot for our RV's an except good quality but I wouldn't rely on Forest River or an RV dealer to do it. If you or a friend are handy I would consider fixing the little things myself.

ernman66
ernman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

X2 That is exactly what I do on my Flagstaff. Just fixed my AC by replacing the control circuit board on e bay for 62 bucks. MUCH cheaper than anybody else could have done it for. That also fixed the radio- no power, and the refridgerator gas auto- striker, which I noted were not working either. Now all is good. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

We probably could give up our storage spot !! If not camping our 2013 8289 WS is at the dealer for warranty work. AC , Skylight , Dining Table, Bedroom Door , Dinette slide water leaks, End Table Lamp, Chinese Tire Failures, Smoke Detector Battery dead from the factory, Flood Light Bulbs burned out, Sewage Slide Gate leaking gray water, Stove Top Hinges broken, Some Drawers won't stay shut when traveling, etc. I consider myself fairly handy but I refuse to let dealer or Forest River off the hook for poor workmanship. Dealer is close by and I intend to become a real pest if need be. Hope to resolve all issues soon.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Paul & Sheri

X3. The first time we used the air mattress it deflated. My dealer took care of it and ordered another from the manufacturer. I am so disappointed with the overall performance of the Genesis radio that when it broke where the blue screen stays on when the unit it off, I installed a switch on the hot wire rather than get a new one.

It is an inconvenience to hitch up the unit and drag it to the dealer and leave it when we should be camping.

On our first trip this year, I wondered how I was going to get the water heater fixed and how much camping time I'd miss. After the first 4 days taking cold showers in 45 degree weather I found the third by-pass valve I forgot to open.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
We probably could give up our storage spot !! If not camping our 2013 8289 WS is at the dealer for warranty work. AC , Skylight , Dining Table, Bedroom Door , Dinette slide water leaks, End Table Lamp, Chinese Tire Failures, Smoke Detector Battery dead from the factory, Flood Light Bulbs burned out, Sewage Slide Gate leaking gray water, Stove Top Hinges broken, Some Drawers won't stay shut when traveling, etc. I consider myself fairly handy but I refuse to let dealer or Forest River off the hook for poor workmanship. Dealer is close by and I intend to become a real pest if need be. Hope to resolve all issues soon.
Trust me when I say that dealers LOVE pests. They live for them.
The more pest-like a customer is the more they love them.

It lightens up an otherwise boring summer, while your camper sits in the parking lot.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Think of a new camper, (any make), as a kit that is 80% complete when you take delivery.

The rest of the assembly is up to the new owner, if you don't enjoy fixing things, you probably won't enjoy a new camper.

I have owned 3 new trailers in the past 14 years, none of them have ever been back to the dealer, and they have all had problems. I consider fixing trailer issues a hobby!

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote