Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Rockwood Warranty Work - Frustrated

Since picking up our 5th wheel, we have three relatively minor issues that we would like addressed. A loud refrigerator fan in warm weather only; a furnace that clunks when the burner cycles off; and a microwave that vibrates, loudly, against the housing.

Since we purchased out of state, the local dealer won't help us. So, under the advice of the original dealer and Rockwood Customer Service, I found another RV company who will help us. Unfortunately, we are now told that we will have to pick up the $160+ diagnostic cost and we may have additional charges based on what Rockwood will pay for the needed repairs.

I'm not sure how anyone can give an estimate of the cost of repair without looking at the RV to determine the cause. I guess local Rockwood dealers just know without looking at a unit. So, very frustrated and sad. Guess we'll just have to wait and live with the problems till August at the rally.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Is it Liberty RV by chance that won't work on your unit? They told us that they wouldn't be able to get to ours for several months because we bought ours at another dealer near St. Louis. I just ended up fixing our issues myself by finding help in the forums.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
Is it Liberty RV by chance that won't work on your unit? They told us that they wouldn't be able to get to ours for several months because we bought ours at another dealer near St. Louis. I just ended up fixing our issues myself by finding help in the forums.
We've spoken with the original dealer and have decided to wait till the summer and return to that dealer for whatever work will need to be completed, including the original three items.

I spoke with an RV dealer yesterday, who indicated that the reason why they won't take units for warranty work that weren't purchased from them, is because FR doesn't compensate for diagnostic work, so, they hope that making a few bucks on the original purchase will cover the lost revenue on warranty work.

This does put a new light on dealers not willing to service units that they didn't sell.

I agree that we will probably fix most of our issues, so while our three items are annoying, I don't believe that failure of any of these items is imminent.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

That explanation makes sense. I wish that the dealers and manufacturers worked more like the auto industry and would honor work across the board, but until that happens I guess we're stuck being handy and praying to find others in the forums who have fixed the same issues

Best of luck and enjoy your rig!