Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #1

Rockwood Windjammer 3001 bedroom slide tears vinyl

After only a few months with our new 3001W we noticed that the end of the bed caught the vinyl at the floor vent and ripped it as the slide went out. We have a 2013 so I don't know if anything changed in that area from previous years or if it is just a minor variation in the slide in our unit. We have the minimal carpet option so to repair it with no seams (front to back) they would have to cut it out and when replaced quarter round would have to be added throughout. The dealer also opted to carpet the bedroom instead. We agreed with the carpet option. The dealer is also installing rollers under the corners of the bed so it will not slide on the floor covering anymore.

Given the impact of a tear in the vinyl like this, I wanted to inform others so maybe a preventitive step (like rollers) could be taken beforehand to avoid the problem.

I asked the dealer to go through their Forest River contacts and recommend some design change in the future. I am also going to contact Forest River.

Okey & Jeri
2011 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 Ecoboost 3.55 gears
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 hitch
ojnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Will there not be a termination strip where the carpet ends in the doorway? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Yes, I am sure there will be. I haven't seen a unit without the minimal carpet option but I am assuming the bathroom is not carpeted in it and they terminate the carpet in the bedroom and the kitchen/living area and will do this in much the same way.

Okey & Jeri
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

We just bought a 2012 3001W and floor vent is by the door. No where near the slide, in or out. Is the heat vent what your talking about? If so it must have been a change with the 13's.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojnark View Post
After only a few months with our new 3001W we noticed that the end of the bed caught the vinyl at the floor vent and ripped it as the slide went out. We have a 2013 so I don't know if anything changed in that area from previous years or if it is just a minor variation in the slide in our unit. We have the minimal carpet option so to repair it with no seams (front to back) they would have to cut it out and when replaced quarter round would have to be added throughout. The dealer also opted to carpet the bedroom instead. We agreed with the carpet option. The dealer is also installing rollers under the corners of the bed so it will not slide on the floor covering anymore.

Given the impact of a tear in the vinyl like this, I wanted to inform others so maybe a preventitive step (like rollers) could be taken beforehand to avoid the problem.

I asked the dealer to go through their Forest River contacts and recommend some design change in the future. I am also going to contact Forest River.

A follow up on this thread for any still following it. The tear in the 3001W does seem to be a design flaw at least in the 2013's. I found out that about a week after mine was built in April, FR started putting rollers on the slide out bed frame. Seems many of the 2013's first built had vinyl tears. This seemed to only be reported on the minimal carpet option. I had mine at the dealers for about 3 weeks waiting for rollers to be shipped by FR. By the time I picked mine up they had 4 other 3001's there with the same problem. Besides adding the rollers they carpeted the bedroom to cover the vinyl.

Okey & Jeri
Old 09-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

Had the same problem with our '2012 3008W. We also have minimal carpeting and noticed the vinyl tearing within 5 weeks of pickup. Our dealer also offered to replace the vinyl or carpet the bedroom. We went with the carpet and rollers were also added to the bed. So far so good.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide