Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #21
llr

If this is really a gas / electric (or a 12v only) fridge I would get it off the inverter completely. The battery draw not plugged in would be too high and is when propane should be used.

The inverter could be used for other things like TV. The microwave is probably not realistic though
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrib View Post
They installed and on off remote switch. I turn it off from there
Well, something is not right. I’m not sure of anything right now. You said the when plugged into shore power it runs on gas? How do you know? Is the fridge light on? What is powering the light?

Also, you said the dealer Installed the he inverterverter? Why did the dealer do that?

Also, unless it is wired incorrectly the shore power runs thru the inverter if it is on or off to what ever appliances it is connected to. Something is amiss here.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Well, something is not right. I’m not sure of anything right now. You said the when plugged into shore power it runs on gas? How do you know? Is the fridge light on? What is powering the light?

Also, you said the dealer Installed the he inverterverter? Why did the dealer do that?

Also, unless it is wired incorrectly the shore power runs thru the inverter if it is on or off to what ever appliances it is connected to. Something is amiss here.
I agree, something doesn't make sense.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #24

Quote:

I too am confused. when we brought the rv we ordered a solar package with inverter from the dealer and they installed the package. I purchased the go power outlander package. I told the salesman that I wanted the inverter to power the microwave briefly so that we could heat things up in the microwave when off grid. We have had the rv for 4 months and have always been hooked up to shore power. The rig has 2 - 30 gallon propane tanks that have been depleted a few times. When we run out of the propane the fridge starts beeping even though we are plugged into shore power. when we took it back to the dealer to have them look at why the fridge was beeping he said it was because we were out of propane. Once they filled the tanks the fridge stopped beeping. A couple of weeks ago was our 1st time off grid and we could only power lights, slides and water pump. When we went to check the inverter we could not locate it. We called the dealer who installed and the tech said he hooked it up to the fridge and we would have to take things apart to get to it. He said he could not remember where he put it but knew it was behind some cabinetry . I found the instruction manual for the inverter and saw it was only a 1000 watt inverter (it should have been 2000 watts).
We also was still using a lot of propane when plugged into shore power so we decided to turn on the inverter to see if it would stop the draw on the propane ( we don't use the propane for anything else .. we don't use the stove) We turn on the inverter a couple of days ago while still hooked into shore power and the propane has remained at the same level. I am pretty sure the inverter is hook up wrong. We are taking it to a shop next week to have them find the inverter and replace it with a 2000 watts one. I hope this makes sense. I am new to rv'ing and just learning as we go. We have never even been camping before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	261280  
torrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #25

Quote:
I too am confused. when we brought the rv we ordered a solar package with inverter from the dealer and they installed the package. I purchased the go power outlander package. I told the salesman that I wanted the inverter to power the microwave briefly so that we could heat things up in the microwave when off grid. We have had the rv for 4 months and have always been hooked up to shore power. The rig has 2 - 30 gallon propane tanks that have been depleted a few times. When we run out of the propane the fridge starts beeping even though we are plugged into shore power. when we took it back to the dealer to have them look at why the fridge was beeping he said it was because we were out of propane. Once they filled the tanks the fridge stopped beeping. A couple of weeks ago was our 1st time off grid and we could only power lights, slides and water pump. When we went to check the inverter we could not locate it. We called the dealer who installed and the tech said he hooked it up to the fridge and we would have to take things apart to get to it. He said he could not remember where he put it but knew it was behind some cabinetry . I found the instruction manual for the inverter and saw it was only a 1000 watt inverter (it should have been 2000 watts).
We also was still using a lot of propane when plugged into shore power so we decided to turn on the inverter to see if it would stop the draw on the propane ( we don't use the propane for anything else .. we don't use the stove) We turn on the inverter a couple of days ago while still hooked into shore power and the propane has remained at the same level. I am pretty sure the inverter is hook up wrong. We are taking it to a shop next week to have them find the inverter and replace it with a 2000 watts one. I hope this makes sense. I am new to rv'ing and just learning as we go. We have never even been camping before.

Thanks for that explanation. It sounds to me like the inverter is not connected to the shore power connection? Since you have a 2 way fridge have them disconnect the fridge from the inverter and connect it to a standard outlet.

Let us know the outcome..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #26
Site Team

Maybe what you're calling an inverter, is actually the solar controller. Your pic shows it's a 2-way fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
The solar package option from FR shows it is a 1000 watt inverter that is included, did you pay more for an upgraded inverter through the dealer?

Next, the fact that the inverter is placed in an area that appears inaccessible to the user (yourself) seems weird and not right. You say that you want the inverter to power the microwave also (I don’t know if a 1000watt inverter could even handle the microwave), have you tried using the microwave with no shore power yet? Having an inverter placed in the TT should allow you to use limited amount of 120v outlets too. It almost seems like the dealer put in the inverter but only hooked it up the fridge, completely rendering it useless for anything else.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation. It sounds to me like the inverter is not connected to the shore power connection? Since you have a 2 way fridge have them disconnect the fridge from the inverter and connect it to a standard outlet.

Let us know the outcome..
Willl do
Old 08-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #29

here is a picture of what i have the switch to the left is the inverter remote on/off switch it is a xantrax and the go power to the right is the solar control panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4144.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	261292  
Old 08-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #30

Refrigerator on propane uses very little propane. I had one 30lb tank that was used for 2 years and still lots of propane in the tank. Even heating water with propane your one tank may last a whole season unless using propane for heating.

An inverter on a refrigerator would only be used for 110v when not hooked up to power at a park. You would not be using propane if the refrigerator is only 110v.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome . The fridge is a dometic and runs on both electric and gas. When we get to camp we turn off the inverter . Even though the fridge is set to auto ( to switch between gas and electric) and we are hooked into shore power it still using the propane. So i turned on the inverter yesterday and it appears that the fridge is no longer drawing on our propane. (will leave it on for a couple of more days to see if propane level stays the same)
Yeah sounds like you should try to move it back to a non-inverter outlet. What they did is counter-productive.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #32

[QUOTE=Backcountryboondocker;2620491]The solar package option from FR shows it is a 1000 watt inverter that is included, did you pay more for an upgraded inverter through the dealer?

Next, the fact that the inverter is placed in an area that appears inaccessible to the user (yourself) seems weird and not right.........
FR put the inverter in my TT behind a panel on the floor in the kitchen. Only way to even suspect its location is the 4 screws on this little cubical cover that really doesn't seem right, and the 'on/off' switch is above it under the counter. Suppose it's an acceptable use of available space, but not easy to locate or access. But once you know where it is it's not like working on a water pump in a 179. :-)
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #33

RV LP/AC refrigerators do not "plug in" to anything. For starters there's no electrical cord so there's nothing to "plug in" with. They're hard wired to 12vDC and 120vAC and hard plumbed to the LP gas system.

You can use a LP refrigerator for weeks on a single LP cylinder.

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
RV LP/AC refrigerators do not "plug in" to anything. For starters there's no electrical cord so there's nothing to "plug in" with. They're hard wired to 12vDC and 120vAC and hard plumbed to the LP gas system.

-- Chuck
Chuck, thats not always true... heres a shot of the access panel for my Norcold 2 way... its plugged in, not hardwired...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16294703364469193812811859156423.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	261315  
Old 08-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
Mine is plugged in, Chuck. You might want to check before generalizing so the right info gets posted on the forum.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #36

My last two had plugs behind the exterior air inlet panel
Old 08-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #37
Canadian Member

torrib, first, welcome to the forum.

On your Rockwood, you have the indoor 2-way refrigerator and the outdoor kitchen’s smaller 120 VAC refrigerator (located right beside the indoor refrigerator). I wonder if the intent was to hookup the AC-only outdoor refrigerator to the inverter but the tech incorrectly connected it to the larger indoor 2-way fridge?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #38

What happened to dealers who knew what they were doing

Reading though all these posts, I am struck by the failure of the dealer to really explain the product, actually demonstrate its operation, and really be professional. Lots of good advice given on most of the posts, but some errors too. I've got two RVs and both have 120 vt plugs in the refrigerator service area. So, buyer and reader, beware.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #39

Set-up for residential fridge

Quote:
More than likely the unit comes standard with residential fridge. Our XLR NITRO did and when we added solar and switched to,the dual fridge for boondocking, I noticed the same thing. The fridge is on the inverter. That’s fine with me. Doesn’t burn propane when in tow. Just gotta remember to switch it to propane when boon docking. When on shore power the batteries are kept topped off so haven’t had any issues.
Bluej777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #40

I have the same unit but a 2020.

Is this the same fridge?

If you are not on shore power just use auto settings and let it kick over to propane. It uses very little propane. There is really no reason to use a inverter to run it. You're just burning up the battery juice.

Just be aware though. Any refrigerator that runs off propane must still have a battery power to the panel or it will shut down. You have solar so it should be no problem.

As far as your propane goes. I would recommend a propane monitor. I always leave one tank closed so I don't burn through both tanks unexpectedly. I'll switch over once one tank is empty. It keeps you aware of how much propane you are using.

This monitor works great. Buy the one that comes with 2 sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQI74...VK0TQCXC48Y45DClick image for larger version

Name:	20210605_173646.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	261563
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, inverter