Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #1

RV Wholesalers Shenanigans!

Well, it appears my worst fear has come to fruition! RV Wholesalers has absolutely no idea of delivery date for our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s order and I feel obligated to let you all know our situation.
Ordered a new 2509s mid-February with a delivery date of late April/early May. Ran our credit and took our $1k deposit. We've checked in frequently and gotten the 'check back later' update. Well, this week the update was maybe June +, and then now we'd be luck to take receipt by August! Naturally, RVW passed the buck onto Rockwood's error. While I believe that to an extent, I do believe there is a bit of shenanigans by both parties. They clearly are not on the same page regarding orders, build dates, nor delivery dates.
Not writing this to shame either RVW or Rockwood specifically, but feel compelled to let those who were promised a spring time delivery of our situation. Hope your situation fairs better than ours! Happy camping (eventually)!
tbmslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #2

Just ordered a Rockwood 5th wheel, dealer told us maybe by August but more likely September due to huge back log and parts availability.
Seems 5 months is the new normal, while shopping we had several dealers tell us the same time frame from order to delivery.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmslt View Post
Well, it appears my worst fear has come to fruition! RV Wholesalers has absolutely no idea of delivery date for our new Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s order and I feel obligated to let you all know our situation.
Ordered a new 2509s mid-February with a delivery date of late April/early May. Ran our credit and took our $1k deposit. We've checked in frequently and gotten the 'check back later' update. Well, this week the update was maybe June +, and then now we'd be luck to take receipt by August! Naturally, RVW passed the buck onto Rockwood's error. While I believe that to an extent, I do believe there is a bit of shenanigans by both parties. They clearly are not on the same page regarding orders, build dates, nor delivery dates.
Not writing this to shame either RVW or Rockwood specifically, but feel compelled to let those who were promised a spring time delivery of our situation. Hope your situation fairs better than ours! Happy camping (eventually)!
Update: Rockwood has told me that they are a minimum of 4 months out from order date. So if you ordered in mid-february (like us for example) don't expect the trailer to be built/ready 'till mid-June at the earliest. Side note: both RVW and Rockwood were very responsive and professional.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #4

unprecedented demand for RV's in the past few years and 2020 was more then exceptional... 2021 seems to be even more of a demand.

If you have not heard of COVID delays from any supplier, then you must not have ordered anything in the past 10 months...

Suppliers both domestic and overseas and shippers are seeing delays like never before.

These days take every delivery date with several grains of salt.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
unprecedented demand for RV's in the past few years and 2020 was more then exceptional... 2021 seems to be even more of a demand.

If you have not heard of COVID delays from any supplier, then you must not have ordered anything in the past 10 months...

Suppliers both domestic and overseas and shippers are seeing delays like never before.

So very true. We were lucky with our order from RVW. They treated us well, but they could not control the delivery dates and neither could Rockwood.
We were told 6 to 8 weeks. It ended up being 14 weeks. We feel lucky that it wasn't longer. A friend of ours worked for a local dealer and he told us the back log for parts was incredible. It's not getting any better either. Things are really going to be bad in a few years when we go back to normal times. ( If that happens). You won't be able to give your RV away or trade it in for anything.
Great times ahead if you own a RV park of any kind now and for the next 3 or 4 years. Park rates are already going up.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #6

Mostly due to Covid delays and high demand exasperating the Covid delays. I have been waiting for a wheel for an elliptical since Jan 15th. I might see it by fall. Not a.good thing.for a landscaper in winter! LOL
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmslt View Post

There are multiple material shortages and that is the reason. The dealerships can’t tell you anything definitive because the manufacturers can’t tell them anything definitive. I ordered a Rockwood 2706ws 2/14 from Tom Stinnet’s Campers Inn. The factory rep was there when I placed the order. He said at that time that they were 14 -16 weeks out. I have yet to get a build date. Same thing with truck manufacturers.
molf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #8

Ordered a 2021 2109s from RVW on Sept 3rd...Just last week got an email saying it was off the production line. Yes, that's over seven months if I get it this week, which I doubt. Now, apparently delivery from factory to dealer is an issue. They, RVW, need to be up front and realistic with people about timing. I got sick of the check back in six weeks from RVW!
bill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #9

RV Wholesalers Shenanigans!

Be patient. We started building a new home in November, 2019, all cash deal. We took position last Wednesday. No fault of our own or the builder. Windows back ordered for 4 months. Floors back ordered for 2. Appliances ordered in June with the last ones delivered last week. Furniture is another problem...
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

I work for an agricultural equipment dealer and parts that normally have a six week lead time are a thing of the past right now. We have parts on order since June 2020 and still have not received them. Brazil’s covid pandemic to blame so Rvs are not the only delay
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
WFD

It's all across the board... try buying appliances today! You will likely have to settle for what you can get, not necessarily what you desire. Car dealerships have very little inventory on their lots, they can't get product due to a worldwide shortage of microchips. I have a friend who did a factory order on a Ram 2500 truck, closing in on 7 mths now, and he still doesn't have it.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #12

If you call and ask dealers today the RV build lead times, they'll say (or should say, if they're not) that the manufacturers are telling them 4 to 6 months. I got that from more than one RV dealership, so if you can, buy one off the lot.

Another reason to try to find on-hand inventory is the upcoming June 1st manufacturers price increases that're supposed to touch every make and model of RV being made. Dealers have been told this price increase will be more than double that of previous two or three percent hikes. They have said the increases will top out at between 6 to 8 percent on some RV models out there.

Consequently, I don't think you'll be seeing many dealers price protecting factory ordered units that have not been invoiced and shipped by the manufacturers. Especially, not with a 6 to 8 percent price hike. So you'd better hope to get one already on a dealers lot, or that your factory ordered unit arrives before that deadline, or you'll be paying more than you thought you would.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
D W

Just a note of interest here; My dealer had to have his entire 2021 Allocation in by last October through the Oregon Plant in order to receive by this month. He had to hand pick through entire product model line and select most popular features and options. He took no special orders for this year's models as delivery could not be guaranteed in time for our short camping season.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Covid has increased demand for RVs like nothing before but there are a lot of other factors in play as well. There are shortages of parts and materials to build the parts at every level. I would assume the manufacturers experiencing the same sort of shortage in labor as other sectors as well, Then there are the logistics of getting all the parts, materials, and even RVs delivered. I work for a large regional trucking company and we are operating near or at capacity every single day and that is occurring across the board for pretty much every carrier in every segment of the industry.
cstreu1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #15

This the one you are looking for?

2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #16

Price increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
If you call and ask dealers today the RV build lead times, they'll say (or should say, if they're not) that the manufacturers are telling them 4 to 6 months. I got that from more than one RV dealership, so if you can, buy one off the lot.

Another reason to try to find on-hand inventory is the upcoming June 1st manufacturers price increases that're supposed to touch every make and model of RV being made. Dealers have been told this price increase will be more than double that of previous two or three percent hikes. They have said the increases will top out at between 6 to 8 percent on some RV models out there.

Consequently, I don't think you'll be seeing many dealers price protecting factory ordered units that have not been invoiced and shipped by the manufacturers. Especially, not with a 6 to 8 percent price hike. So you'd better hope to get one already on a dealers lot, or that your factory ordered unit arrives before that deadline, or you'll be paying more than you thought you would.
If they take your order and deposit the price is in writing. They cannot legally raise the price.
molf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill67 View Post
I got sick of the check back in six weeks from RVW!
Don't get me wrong, we all want top notch customer service, but what do you really expect. The manufacturers are trying to keep pace with the orders, trying to manage incoming parts from their suppliers, and maintain delivery updates. All while trying to not break the bank on spinning up too much new labor that takes time to train, etc.

And lets not forget the COVID side. I suspect Indiana is no different than the Amish community in Ohio. They seem to be very resistant to the vaccine based on population that received at least their 1st dose. So it's an unknown of how this is impacting their factories, etc. If one person comes down with it, how many folks are forced to quarantine, are lines getting shut down because of it, etc.

So just like everything else, it's likely to take longer, cost more, and everyone wants it yesterday.

It might be the RV industry hitting the mother lode, but a lot of growing pains that come with it.
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by molf21 View Post
There are multiple material shortages and that is the reason. The dealerships can’t tell you anything definitive because the manufacturers can’t tell them anything definitive. I ordered a Rockwood 2706ws 2/14 from Tom Stinnet’s Campers Inn. The factory rep was there when I placed the order. He said at that time that they were 14 -16 weeks out. I have yet to get a build date. Same thing with truck manufacturers.
This, specifically, is the shenanigans that I'm referring to! We ordered ours the exact same day and were told 12 weeks max. You got a more realistic timeframe. The whole point of the this thread was more as a PSA - to broadcast that these dealers and manufacturers don't have any idea. Anyways, happy camping!
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill67 View Post
Ordered a 2021 2109s from RVW on Sept 3rd...Just last week got an email saying it was off the production line. Yes, that's over seven months if I get it this week, which I doubt. Now, apparently delivery from factory to dealer is an issue. They, RVW, need to be up front and realistic with people about timing. I got sick of the check back in six weeks from RVW!
Yikes! This was what I was trying to tell people - don't believe their estimates! Thanks for including your experience so those who ordered this year aren't expecting to be camping soon. RVW maintains that they didn't know Rockwood was so behind; however, Rockwood maintains they've told all their dealerships a minimum of 4 months from order date to build date. Shenanigans! I just skip RVW 'scheduling' department and call Rockwood.

And to all those posting with some statement about unprecedented demand, covid, etc. - no duh! This thread was more of a PSA to update those [patiently] waiting to not get their hopes up about the egregious errors in dealer estimated delivery dates.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by molf21 View Post
If they take your order and deposit the price is in writing. They cannot legally raise the price.
Nope, but they can hand your deposit back to you and send you packing. And you’re not gonna find what you ordered on the lot, so your only option is to wait 5 or 6 more months or bite the bullet and form over the extra cash.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote