Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

RW 2306 - Locks, Thermostat

We have a 2015 RW 2306 which we took delivery of in March of this year. Spent 14 nights in it so far and we are VERY pleased with it. However, there are two minor items that bother me....

The thermostat. I've read about others swapping it out for a digital unit. What I don't understand is how that helps with the 'hot wall' issue? I've noticed that when the fridge isn't running, the thermostat is pretty accurate. With that in mind, I was thinking that moving it to a different location would be helpful. BUT - if simply swapping to a digital unit will fix the problem, I'm all for the easier fix...

The other complaint is the exterior storage door locks. They seem extremely cheap compared to the quality of the rest of the camper. As in, it takes two or three tries to get the keys into the locks because the keys have to be oriented the right way. Has anyone swapped these out for something of better quality? Are there direct replacements out there?

(We camped with some friends with an Apex camper. The storage doors had magnets, so they would hold open without the little plastic retainer. AND they had car-door-style latches that keep them closed once you've unlocked them. Be still my beating heart!!! Sure wish RW would have used the same on the 2306!!)

2015 Rockwood 2306
2006 Toyota Tacoma
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #2

Most of the low end campers use the style of lock you are describing and the keys are all the same. Your neighbor con open yours and you can open theirs. The style of lock you see on the appex is generally used on coaches and high end campers.

Moving the thermostat will help and if it is accurate you may be satisfied as is. I have to in mine. One was accurate the other was terrible. I replace the one and I am happy with it.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #3

53Flattie,
The thermostat. I've read about others swapping it out for a digital unit. What I don't understand is how that helps with the 'hot wall' issue? I've noticed that when the fridge isn't running, the thermostat is pretty accurate. With that in mind, I was thinking that moving it to a different location would be helpful. BUT - if simply swapping to a digital unit will fix the problem, I'm all for the easier fix... No it will not fix the problem, you would have to move the stat or fix the heat problem. More then likely your picking up a false reading behind the stat itself, such as the whole the wires come through,(plug it) I would also put a spacer behind the subase so air can circulate around the stat itself. Digital would help after you eliminate the false readings your getting.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

I stuffed some insulation in the hole that the thermostat wires are in to keep air from coming in. I then used some plastic spacers about 1/4 thick between the stat and the wall. This made a little better air space behind the stat to get a better reading.
I replaced the locks with new ones from rvlocksandmore.com. I matched the keys to my door lock so now I only have 1 key for everything. So nice to not have to worry about what direction I have to put the key in and the feel more solid. $20 for the 5 locks.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
I stuffed some insulation in the hole that the thermostat wires are in to keep air from coming in. I then used some plastic spacers about 1/4 thick between the stat and the wall. This made a little better air space behind the stat to get a better reading.
I replaced the locks with new ones from rvlocksandmore.com. I matched the keys to my door lock so now I only have 1 key for everything. So nice to not have to worry about what direction I have to put the key in and the feel more solid. $20 for the 5 locks.

Thanks! I think I'll be going this route.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
2015 Rockwood 2306
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Didn't you get a Tundra?

Cannonball from TW
jhoppmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoppmann View Post
Didn't you get a Tundra?

Cannonball from TW

Ha! Just noticed that this morning...

2015 Rockwood 2306
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

Corrected

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
What model lock did you replace the old style with?
2015-2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Baggage Compartment Locks and Keys
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Lon

I've had the same problem with the cheap locks. I use a lot of duck tape going down the road. Some day I'll get some energy and change them out.
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #12

I placed a 2in thick piece of closed cell foam in between the wall and thermostat. it blocked the heat coming from that wire hole and it also got the thermostat away from that warm wall. Its a shame they located that thermostat were they did! i also upgraded to digital. Now its within 2 degree so 74 at the wall is 72 everywhere else. It was a 7 degree difference before and the unit would shut off and on way to often. try keeping one vent pointed in the direction of the wall also helps.
cohuttariverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks Todd. I ordered those yesterday.

As a side note - and for future users who might read this - the one lock at the back of the camper (the outdoor shower) is different (shorter) than the other 4.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 07-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
Thanks Todd. I ordered those yesterday.

As a side note - and for future users who might read this - the one lock at the back of the camper (the outdoor shower) is different (shorter) than the other 4.
Not only is it shorter but the square hole for the latch arm is too small for the new locks. The shortest lock at rv locals and more is still too long so I had to use a small file to make the hole bigger and bend it about 30 degrees to make it work.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Not only is it shorter but the square hole for the latch arm is too small for the new locks. The shortest lock at rv locals and more is still too long so I had to use a small file to make the hole bigger and bend it about 30 degrees to make it work.

Good to know. I noticed when I measured it, it seemed a bit shorter than the shortest one they offered.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #16

A lot of the people here have changed to this lock. It let's you leave you door unlocked but closed while setting up or breaking down. Then you can lock it when you need. It's not a 2 sided key so it will not be as quick and easy to get the key in as opposed the the one recommended above, the only drawback.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cks-41517.html
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2306, thermostat, lock